BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
dreamer94

dreamer94 has a neutral reputation

Didn't know there were such agencies, I will consider that if I don't manage to secure a place in the local unis.

I've been seeing people on this forum asking about entry through discretionary admission. Is a testimonial from a teacher required? What kind of testimonial? Is the one that every student receives at the end of the year good enough or should I ask the teacher to write another? Amd my cca record in jc isnt great but my cca record in sec school is pretty good. Do they look at sec school records? Coz I was wondering if it is advisable to apply through discretionary admission.
dreamer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

'Discretionary Admission' usually means you have done something so exceptional that it will be a lost to them if they didn't accept you. For example, things like representing the country in international events, receiving an award from the President, getting a medal in olympiad etc etc.

If you have to use discretionary admission, I will assume that either your grades aren't very good, or you are pretty desperate to get into the course of your choice; it will do you some good if you had someone write you a separate testimonial, rather than the template one that everyone gets at graduation.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
dreamer94

Ok then I obviously don't qualify for discretionary admission. But I'm indeed desperate and my grades are poor. What kind of testimonial would that be? Is it more specific and tailored to the individual? Coz the one that we received from school, well, students kinda contributed to their own testimonial.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

I've heard of people using their NS experiences in Discretionary Admission. Specifically, I know someone who used his experience as a medic to get into NUS nursing. In his essay/personal statement, he talked about how much he wanted to help people etc. I never read the essay though but it worked. I believe that for DA, you are required to write the personal statement. Make it looks nice and make sure it focuses on the course you want to attend. This only applies if you got nothing to offer such as the things Ashearo mentioned above. And if they like what they hear and see, they might consider you.

Additionally, if you are a guy, you have 2 years to do something. Join some competitions or get certs. Not sure how this would help. For the case above, it really did help him. Or you could just retake A-levels during NS.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
dreamer94

Hahah I'm actually a girl so I guess I won't have all those ns experiences to write about.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Well, I really have no other advice. Just apply and hope for the best. At the same time, do consider retaking your A levels. Good luck.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a level, local uni admissions, uni application, uni courses