BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Canada
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
thechosenloo

thechosenloo has a neutral reputation
Post Degree in International Development Studies

Hi all,

I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic in 2008 with a Diploma in Internet & Multimedia Development, low GPA of 2+ (not fantastic at all, I know). After which I went on to the work force of teaching, becoming a dive crew to an executive in a local NGO now. After spending 7 year in the work force and 5 years working in a NGO dealing with youth and overseas community development, I think it's time to further my studies and get at least a degree for future plans.

The master plan was while I study in university, my twin sister would work as a nurse to ease off some financial constraint. According to the migration agent, my sister is eligible to migrate to Canada, so she is going to try apply working in Canada first before considering migration.

I would like to hear from those who have studied/studying/going to study in Canada or know of people who did...

1. Is it easy to study in Canada? I note some universities have really high standards. I left school nearly 10 years ago, will take some time getting use.

2. Is it difficult to get into a Canadian university? Unlike Australia and UK where agents allow you to apply to multiple universities without paying for application fee first, I will have to pay to apply to each universities?

3. Any recommendation for International Development Studies undergrad programme? I did my research, but would love to hear first hand from those who have been there done that.

4. Is there a need for SAT/IELTS to get into a Canadian university?

5. Total amount paid for your application to a Canadian university and student visa?

Thank you all in advance!
thechosenloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosenloo View Post
1. Is it easy to study in Canada? I note some universities have really high standards. I left school nearly 10 years ago, will take some time getting use.

2. Is it difficult to get into a Canadian university? Unlike Australia and UK where agents allow you to apply to multiple universities without paying for application fee first, I will have to pay to apply to each universities?

3. Any recommendation for International Development Studies undergrad programme? I did my research, but would love to hear first hand from those who have been there done that.

4. Is there a need for SAT/IELTS to get into a Canadian university?

5. Total amount paid for your application to a Canadian university and student visa?

Thank you all in advance!
I ans your 1-3 on HWZ

4. no SAT requirement but you need TOEFL. You can do without if you go CC.

5. really depends, if you have confident and applied to just 1 uni your cost is just VISA fees.
fees info can be found here.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...lect=SG&lob=sp

3-4 yrs ago just CAD$124, so fees increase... asking this is not really relevant for U. how many Uni u want to apply or how much $$ u want to set aside for such expenses? U trying to get an idea? maybe best for U to do some research
http://www.studycanada.ca/singapore/...e_visainfo.htm
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote