BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Engineering, Research & Science-Related
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
daeril

daeril has a neutral reputation
Default Pharmacy, Life Science & Biological Science

Is there anyone who could tell me the difference between life science and biological science as well as their career prospects for both courses?

Also, I'm quite interested to go for the pharmacy course in NUS. Could anyone kindly give me more information and an overview of what studying pharmacy is like? Thanks
daeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
garsilver

garsilver has a neutral reputation

hey im also interested in pharmacy but my grades rnt fantastic enuff to really secure a place thr. wats the chances of a AABB, B for GP, getting into a pharmacy course? i heard tt there's 140 places this yr, but there're really lots of pple doing well! i haf h3 sch sci research distinction, and a pretty decent cca record such as overseas music exchange and syf. can these boost my chance of entering nus pharmacy?
garsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #3

44564651 has a neutral reputation

Entry to Pharmacy is by 'direct admissions only'. Do you know what this means? Does it mean CCAs and discretionary criteria can't be taken into consideration?
44564651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
bumblebee

bumblebee has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44564651 View Post
Entry to Pharmacy is by 'direct admissions only'. Do you know what this means? Does it mean CCAs and discretionary criteria can't be taken into consideration?
Pharmacy is under the Faculty of Science in NUS, but the admission is separate from the rest of the Science faculty's. Hence "direct admission". They do have discretionary admission interviews for those who have CCAs and other achievements.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
MyChemicalNightmare

MyChemicalNightmare has a neutral reputation

hey, hope this helps.

i was accepted into Pharmacy with the old A levels system - AAAB B3. there's no interview or such for normal people, unless you go in through discretionary admission.

there're two types of paths you can choose after graduation, i heard. patient-care and non patient-care. one is go to govt hospitals and work as a pharmacists there, or go Gaurdian be a pharmacist etc. the other one is get good grades then work in drug companies etc.

hope this helps!
MyChemicalNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
chemistryboi

chemistryboi has a neutral reputation

hey just asking. if lets say i want to work in a drug company doing R&D and stuff like that, does a chem degree differ from a pharmacy deg?
chemistryboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
nixeij

nixeij has a neutral reputation
Default Demoralising grade profiles

Hey all. I just got my A Level results, cried my eyes out. ABC/A GP:A, PW: B. My maths got C and I really have no idea what to do. I saw the grade profile of NUS and the 10th percentile for this year (2010/2011) are almost all ABB/B.

And that is already the 10th percentile. Oh gosh I cried more after that.

Then I checked NTU and while it's not as demanding as NUS's, they are still pretty bad.

I'm currently interested in NTU's Chemistry & Biological Chemistry, NTU's Biological Sciences and NUS FoS (Science).

Can anyone please tell me if those grade profiles are finalized? I mean really, there is no hope for a student with a C in her A Level while the rest are As and Bs??? :'(
nixeij is offline   Reply With Quote