BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Engineering, Research & Science-Related
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #21
virgogal

virgogal has a neutral reputation

ok thanks for the advice
virgogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
smash

smash has a neutral reputation

eh, there might seem a large time gap here since the last post in this thread, but I think the relevance is still present.

So, actually I wanna gather more info abt Chemistry as well. I opted for faculty of science in nus as 1st choice, though I hv not chosen the specific course as I think that will be the later part of the story. Anyway, is it gd to study Chemistry?
smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
eh, there might seem a large time gap here since the last post in this thread, but I think the relevance is still present.

So, actually I wanna gather more info abt Chemistry as well. I opted for faculty of science in nus as 1st choice, though I hv not chosen the specific course as I think that will be the later part of the story. Anyway, is it gd to study Chemistry?
Depends on your definition of "good".
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post

Smash, I have been following your posts and you seem to be jumping around several courses of studies. It is not wrong to ask about the courses, but it seems you are asking the wrong questions. Its more important to ask...what are your interests? Why do you keep asking about what is good and what is not? It is subjective. If one goes by a general view, most people will see medicine, and law as good courses, albeit tough - but if you have no interest, that won't do you any good.

If by good, you mean easy to study, then it definitely isn't. I can put you through to people studying Chemistry now at NUS and they can tell you it is not easy. If by good, you are referring to job prospects, then it depends what you want to do.

How about start thinking what you want and what you can do to get there. You seem to like Chemistry a lot. Do you have a bunch of other choices? If you do, then think through which of those suits yourself the best. If you don't have many other choices, how about make the best of what you have.

What I say is my OWN opinion

Last edited by Ashearo; 03-01-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
smash

You definitely shed some light onto my worries and problems! Eh, I guess its better to ask more now than to regret later abt the course im taking in the future. In any case, thx a lot for answering so many of my qns!

Its true that i have a deep interest in Chem, but im just slightly afraid that taking up the subject will only lead me to a one way street: teaching. So
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
Haecceity

Don't worry, it definitely won't. You can become a chemist if you want.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #27
smash

Maybe I will! Haha!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #28
hello panda

hello panda has a neutral reputation
Default Chem vs Environmental Engineering

Hi...

I am also interested in Chemistry... But am also interested in Environmental Engineering.... I am offered both Chemistry (NUS) and Environmental Engineering (NTU) But for job prospects which one is better?

Anyway... I am a polytechnic student in Chemical Engineering...
hello panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #29
Haecceity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello panda View Post
Hi...

I am also interested in Chemistry... But am also interested in Environmental Engineering.... I am offered both Chemistry (NUS) and Environmental Engineering (NTU) But for job prospects which one is better?

Anyway... I am a polytechnic student in Chemical Engineering...
It depends on which job you want to work in eventually. Where would you like to work in eventually? Do you prefer the chermistry side of things or the environmental engineering side of things? Furthermore, you can always move into a job unrelated to your degree!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #30
evonne29

evonne29 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin View Post
really? how you come to know that?
hi, i've already accepted nus fos, intending to major chemistry/applied chemistry.realllyyy have the passion for it. but i kept going across forums which has undergrads in NUS Chemistry saying that without good honours, and just graduating with BSc, job seeking will be hard and starting pay is also low

im kinda worried. is it that difficult to graduate with good honours? if i dont get honours am i doomed? hope to hear from some ppl who have accepted FoS and going into Chemistry major, as well as the opinions of current undergrads in NUS chemistry.

and if ive already accepted the offer online but havent sent my Form P, can i still change me choices?

hope to get fast replies. Thanks!
evonne29 is offline   Reply With Quote