BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Canada
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
DaReadG

DaReadG has a neutral reputation
Default Universities in Vancouver, Canada?

Hi,

does anyone here have any info on studying in Vancouver or in Canada in genral? I'm pretty interested as I have relatives living there. Standard info like the school fees, cost of living etc will be appreciated.

Also info on the individual Unis. From what I've researched there's UVic and UBC. UBC has quite a high ranking on some studies I've seen. I'm interested in doing econs/finance/biz along those lines. Can anyone help me?
DaReadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
groovy_newborn

groovy_newborn has a neutral reputation

well if you have not applied to ubc, follow this link
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/adm...zc?pageID=1087

The application deadline for the 2010/11 academic year is February 28, 2010.

well for more infos i guess just sign up
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/signup.do
and ask for their international viewbook

tuition fee
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/adding.ezc
basically just browse their website, but yes if you're talking bout Vancouver then ubc is the best

but unless you're talking about applying next year deadline has passed
groovy_newborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
DaReadG

Anyone knows how Canada compares to Australia in terms of sch fees and cost of living? Seems to me like COL is the same. Anyone know?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
slim9

slim9 has a neutral reputation

hey (: I lived in Canada before so i think i can advice you on this topic! In Vancouver itself, there's Simon Fraser University or University of British Columbia. UBC is more well-known compared to SFU / UVic and its known amongst Canadians that people who cannot make it into UBC wait/ study for 1-2 years at UVic or SFU just to transfer to UBC! Why limit yourself to Vancouver though, it feels like Singapore... to be honest. Just that the weather is alot nicer!
slim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
DaReadG

Wow bro fast reply. Which part of Canada did you live in btw? Frankly I'm most keen on Canada because I have relatives in Victoria and Vancouver mainland. I spent about 2 months there in 2002 and it was the most enjoyable holiday of my life.

I've been to France, Italy, England, Switzerland and Australia (albeit when i was very young) and nothing quite measures up to the time I had in Canada. Though to be fair I lived a 'citizen's life' by staying with my relatives and not one of a tourist, so I dunno how to compare. Of course english speaking is a ++

Though I'm looking into an Economics program. And alot of people say Mcgill is better than UBC for that. You have any suggestion on places? Anyway even if Canada is similar to Singapore (I take that as a hint for boring ) its pretty damn close to the west coast of USA, which I would definitely like to visit.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
slim9

Hey, I lived in the beautiful province of Alberta (where Brokeback Mountain was filmed LOL). Anyway, I feel that UBC's Sauder's school of commerce is pretty well known too. If I were you, I'd choose UBC over McGill because there's several issues that I know that bugs students from those universities.

From what I know, McGill is actually a difficult university to live. They don't have easily accessible first year residence. I know of a friend who has to work a job to upkeep living there. (there is also the chance that she was just unlucky, but you know). thing to consider: do you want to live in a city where they speak FRENCH? By the way, take note that Canadian French is slightly different from French French that we will learn in Singapore from Alliance Francaise.

As for UBC - UBC is guaranteed residence in first year, and Vancouver may be nice, but it's an expensive city to live in. Something about UBC residence is that regardless of the guarantee of first year residence, after that, if you want to get back in it is a complete lottery system. Not the best... Course, I guess you could move out.

I hope that playing the devil's advocate can help you... since you basically know most of the 'good stuff' about those universities. Its time to hear the stuff and information that I receive from my Canadian friends.

I got accepted into UBC, McGill and Toronto! Haven't decided which one yet, but I've somewhat dropped McGill from the list because its the most expensive amongst the three. But McGill is reputed for a tradition of academic excellence, I know of American students whose SAT scores (SAT is not needed in McGill for Singaporeans) are above 1900/2000+ on average before they get accepted into McGill which is somewhat almost an Ivy League criteria. Plus if you want to work in North America next time, McGill would be a better option since the 'brand name' sounds good.

As for UBC, its better known in Singapore and Asia because of the proportion of Asian students in the school. However, there's also a reputation of that school as a 'University of a Billion Chinese' which means that the diversity isn't that great and... its known as a dumping ground for rich HK kids (yacht people a.k.a immigrants) but at the same time, UBC is also known as one of the top 3 universities in Canada.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
DaReadG

By a "Billion Chinese" what proportion do you mean? U got any stats? And when you say expensive, how does the cost of living compare to singapore (can denote some of the commodities in SGD)? I'm assuming you're there now or visited not long ago right? The last time I was in Vacounver was 2002 :S.

Please, by all means be the devil's advocate cuz that's the most important stuff I need to hear. Thanks!

Oh and btw, what program are you planning on taking up? I wanna economics which is another reason to go to UBC cuz their economics program seems really prestigious. And how much will the school fees be? From UBC's website its about 15k canadian for 1 year right?

Last edited by DaReadG; 04-02-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
dreamlife

dreamlife has a neutral reputation
Default Need more information

Hi, I am currently accepted into Toronto and UBC-Okanagan. Not sure if you have any comments abou the schools as well? Thanks!
dreamlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
slim9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlife View Post
Hi, I am currently accepted into Toronto and UBC-Okanagan. Not sure if you have any comments abou the schools as well? Thanks!
UBC Okanagan isn't UBC Vancouver. UBC Okanagan is rather 'rural' compared to the city campus. As for Toronto, did you get accepted into St George or Scarbouough. There's a difference. St George is the main campus!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
ahboy91

ahboy91 has a neutral reputation

I'll be heading to U Toronto St George, Trinity College this fall. Anyone coming here as well?
ahboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote