BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Canada
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
pokerface

pokerface has a neutral reputation
Default Queries on Canadian universities

1. Why do they seem to be so rarely pursued after by Singaporean students? Are they really not comparable to US/UK/Australian universities?

2. How do Singaporean employers perceive graduates of Canadian universities? (I mean for both the public and private sectors)

3. While reputable Canadian universities such as UBC, McGill and UToronto may be renowned globally, are they even heard of by Singaporean employers and students? How will graduates from these uni fare in job opportunities as compared to their UK/US/Australian uni counterparts?

4. What are the areas of forte of UBC, McGill and UToronto?
pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Crosser

Crosser has a neutral reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
1. Why do they seem to be so rarely pursued after by Singaporean students? Are they really not comparable to US/UK/Australian universities?

2. How do Singaporean employers perceive graduates of Canadian universities? (I mean for both the public and private sectors)

3. While reputable Canadian universities such as UBC, McGill and UToronto may be renowned globally, are they even heard of by Singaporean employers and students? How will graduates from these uni fare in job opportunities as compared to their UK/US/Australian uni counterparts?

Buddy.. You Seem to be filled with queries.
These are three top Universities in Canada, with University of Toronto being 1st currently,
You'll do Great if you work in Canada from any of the three universities in Canada, in Singapore too you'll get equal or better consideration b'coz of your international Exposure.

I basically know more about U of Toronto, it was Ranked 8th best university in the world for engineering and computer Science by TIMES.

if you compare it with UK/US/Aust, it outclasses UK and Australia except Oxford and Cambridge. This University is ahead of Even Imperial in IVY league of Computer Science and equals Imperial in Eng.

+ it is cost effective and a bit economical than UK and US and Australia.

Job Opportunities are open all over d world, but the best one's 'll be in canada.
Crosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post

1. Cold! and Further than UK/US. most parents are not looking much to how good are these Uni.

2. all I can say they have no issue getting a job.

3. if they are not heard by students does it affect employment?
if it is not heard by hiring manager does that mean one will not get hired? One cannot walk into an interview and not say a word and expect to get hired base on the Uni one graduated.

4. UBC - Biz
McGill - Sci/Engineering/Biz
UT - all rounder
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
MUDAC

MUDAC has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
mcgill is quite well known for humanities too, I think...
MUDAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
trapped

trapped has a neutral reputation

Quote:
1. Cold! and Further than UK/US. most parents are not looking much to how good are these Uni.

2. all I can say they have no issue getting a job.

3. if they are not heard by students does it affect employment?
if it is not heard by hiring manager does that mean one will not get hired? One cannot walk into an interview and not say a word and expect to get hired base on the Uni one graduated.

4. UBC - Biz
UT - all rounder
Overseas-wise, I am considering two options for my intended Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree - University of Melbourne and McGill.

Probably will take up political science as my primary major while being undecided on my second one.

UMelb is a very popular choice among Singaporeans; thus, due to this familiarity, this leads me to think that Singaporean employers tend to view UMelb graduates in a positive light.

However, based on hearsay from some forums and friends, McGill is more well-known internationally than and has a stronger Political Science department than UMelb. It is also seen to be better in the arts and social sciences than the latter.

I have estimated that both courses cost about the same; the main difference is, McGill's course lasts for 4 years while UMelb's for 3 years.

After graduation, I will probably return to Singapore to work first before finding overseas employment. Or better still, I might want to work overseas straight after graduation.

Thus, what is your take on this?
trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
MUDAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapped View Post
UMelb is a very popular choice among Singaporeans; thus, due to this familiarity, this leads me to think that Singaporean employers tend to view UMelb graduates in a positive light.
uh? really meh? I think employers regard usyd (for business) and anu (for social science) in a positive light. as for the other go8 universities, its all seen pretty much on par, imo.

Quote:
McGill is more well-known internationally than and has a stronger Political Science department than UMelb. It is also seen to be better in the arts and social sciences than the latter.
definitely, definitely yes. i've never heard of umelb being known for pol sci.

Quote:
Or better still, I might want to work overseas straight after graduation.
I might be mistaken, but its easier to get PR in canada than aus right?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
patryn33

Quote:
I have estimated that both courses cost about the same; the main difference is, McGill's course lasts for 4 years while UMelb's for 3 years.

After graduation, I will probably return to Singapore to work first before finding overseas employment. Or better still, I might want to work overseas straight after graduation.
3yrs at UofMelb isn't equal to a 4yr McGill program. U got to do a honors at UofMelb to compare apples to apples. a 3yr UofMelb degree U are limited to OZ/NZD to read postgrad/grad without penalty. US/Canada/UK generally will penalize U, asking U transfer to their undegrad program to finish the final yr or have U study 1 extra yr in make up for it.

Canada today gives one 2 yrs work VISA upon graduation which allows u to job hunt or just hang around. if U speak french U can get PR much easier in Quebec. One do get extra pts for knowing French.

OZ without PR it is harder to find job these days. These days ppl do return to SG and work while waiting for their application to go thru.

Last edited by patryn33; 05-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
MUDAC

I'm not sure how widely french vs english is spoken in mcgill itself, but if you have the opportunity, do learn french if you are majoring in pol sci. it will help to open up more job opportunities for you outside of sg.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
patryn33

in Montreal, French is like their 1st language and English is their 2nd Language.
in Uni it self, else Bschool U find alot of Asian and ppl from other province or States. Although classes are taught in English depending on one social circle U may find fremch more widely used.

its like going to Wales to study, my buddy stayed in Dorm and around her most ppl speaks Welsh.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
pokerface

pokerface has a neutral reputation

Quote:
3yrs at UofMelb isn't equal to a 4yr McGill program. U got to do a honors at UofMelb to compare apples to apples. a 3yr UofMelb degree U are limited to OZ/NZD to read postgrad/grad without penalty. US/Canada/UK generally will penalize U, asking U transfer to their undegrad program to finish the final yr or have U study 1 extra yr in make up for it.

Canada today gives one 2 yrs work VISA upon graduation which allows u to job hunt or just hang around. if U speak french U can get PR much easier in Quebec. One do get extra pts for knowing French.

OZ without PR it is harder to find job these days. These days ppl do return to SG and work while waiting for their application to go thru.
I think you misunderstood what I meant.

The tuition fees and living expenses combined of McGill equals to that of UofMelb. All undergrad degree programs in McGill generally last for 4 years whereas its 3 years of Melbourne.
pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote