BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
winlawch

winlawch has a neutral reputation
Default What does DSTA undergraduate scholarship offer?

Hello everyone, I am interested to know the specifics of what being a DSTA scholar entails, especially in the career progression aspect. Personally, I am quite torn between the NSS and DSTA scholarship as both offers similar areas of research I am interested in, despite the purpose of the research being different. I believe if I were to be offered the DSTA scholarship, I would most likely choose to be in DSO. However, I have noticed that career progression wise, it may not be as advancing (for the lack of a better word). By that I mean there aren't much positions for a scholar to rise up, especially when there are already many scholars, due to the hierarchy of the organization . Here I have several questions:

1. What would be the starting pay of a DSTA scholar once he/she starts working in DSTA or DSO? I believe the differences between the 2 organizations are not big, but I know that DSO is a corporatized organization, not a government one as most would have believed to be. Here, I would like to say that I have done some online research. The starting pay for a fresh graduate (not sure scholar or not) in DSTA, I believe, is as high as over 4.5k (hopefully the source is credible), for a local first class honors. However, is that to say a scholar (overseas one) would receive higher or equal salary? One thing I'm unsure is that I heard scholars in general are paid lesser because of the benefits of their scholarship they receive in the first place. Is this saying/rumour credible? Also, several sources cited a pay increment as high as 7-10% annually, but some cited 3-4%. I am unsure about this since DSO/DSTA salaries are probably similar to the market rate, which can be that high. Can someone enlighten me on this?

2. Career progression wise, is it a tedious thing to rise up? Sorry to sound pragmatic here, but I think it is a natural thing for people to consider their future livelihood as well, although I do love science! Generally, I believe across the different government institutions, scholars should enjoy a better career progression track. However, I am concerned that the competition within DSO might be particularly stiff, especially it is a smaller organization, compared to A*STAR, for instance, which has many different institutes alone.

Thanks for your help! I am asking these questions pertaining to the scholarship because I believe I am quite set to do science in the future, so I am instead more concerned about the details of the scholarship.
winlawch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
JensenDrake2

JensenDrake2 has a neutral reputation

In partnership with the Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA), the DSTA Scholarship offers thriving individuals a challenging R&D career in DSO.

This is a unique opportunity for those seeking to exploit advances in modern science and technology and push the boundaries of research. You will be immersed in secretive, top-notch R&D work to create disruptive capabilities that will enhance Singapore’s defence prowess. Distinctive to DSO, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary R&D team and be exposed to the complete spectrum of R&D; from making research discoveries in the lab, to the application and development of leading-edge defence systems.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
JensenDrake2

if you want to know more about it
Defence Science and Technology Agency Scholarships

The Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) offers the DSTA Scholarships to support eligible students to pursue undergraduate education in a wide variety of courses in science and engineering.

Contact Information:

Defence Science & Technology Agency. HR (Recruitment & Scholarship). 71 Science Park Drive. #02-05. Singapore 118253. Telephone: (65) 6879 5109, 5110, 5111 or 5112. Fax: (65) 6872 1315. E-mail: [email protected]
Old 08-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
JensenDrake2

The DSTA Academic Exchange (ACE) Scholarship provides undergraduates with the opportunity to pursue third-year studies in some of the world’s most renowned universities.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
liyuan

liyuan has a neutral reputation

er why does this guy make so many posts with irrelevant information?
liyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by liyuan View Post
er why does this guy make so many posts with irrelevant information?
Saw his signature? Get the picture?
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
liyuan

liyuan has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
Saw his signature? Get the picture?
erm no.. is he a bot?
liyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
yazzieabby

yazzieabby has a neutral reputation

DSTA Scholarship – Undergraduate will provide you with an excellent education in the world’s finest universities. It opens your doors to enriching learning experiences that broaden your horizons, and prepares you for a meaningful career in the Defence Technology Community.There is a wide array of disciplines for you to choose from under the DSTA Scholarship – Undergraduate, which will take your passion in science and technology further. You can read more information here.
yazzieabby is offline   Reply With Quote