BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
hi trolllolololnuts,

i respect people who get these scholarships, i'm not saying it's easy but its a fact that they are easier to get than the other scholarships (as i said, much easier than other private/govt scholarships). you should know since you applied for EMA, STB etc. compare DSTA's 70+ scholarships to govt statboards' less than 10, or private GIC/SIA's 2-3.

good luck for your aspirations, sorry i touched a nerve.
If you have nothing productive to add value to this thread for the benefit of our readers, bring your comments to another place where you may find people who actually care. I don't care whether the scholarship awarded to teddynuts is easier or harder to get. I only care that teddynuts is here to help. Obviously you created an account here just to make these comments. I consider this an unprovoked attack on the topic starter. Do not make me warn you twice.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
hmm u are taking A levels this year since you enlist next jan? Then how did you get the NSS?
Yes I am taking the A levels this year. NSS is a provisional offer, as with all scholarship early applications before the A levels. As long as the scholarship application deadline is BEFORE A level result release, it indicate a willingness for the organisation to consider your Prelim results and make you a conditional offer if they find you suitable.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
relis

relis has a neutral reputation

I though application closes for NSS at end march which means A level results are already released? Do you mean that if an application is done now, a conditional offer may be offered before the application even closes?
relis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
teddynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
I though application closes for NSS at end march which means A level results are already released? Do you mean that if an application is done now, a conditional offer may be offered before the application even closes?
Yes it is. If you apply now, they may call you and complete the selection even before the application closes. It is very common to do that, because cannot wait until application close usually...too many applicants to screen at once. So they do it on a rolling basis. Yes, a conditional offer may and probably will be offered before the application closes.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
relis

relis has a neutral reputation

I see. I will wait till my SAT results release before deciding(not sure if i can meet the min requirements). Thank for all your help
relis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
teddynuts

No problem! If you apply and before the interview, do PM me if you have any queries!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
i see that you have been awarded a few science scholarships/awards. its common knowledge that the A*STAR and DSTA scholarships/awards are much easier to get than other govt/private scholarships. they award more than 100 scholarships a year and is often seen as a "safe bet" for anyone doing science who wants money to go overseas. therefore i wanna ask if you have considered rejecting these scholarships? or you will just end up being another mediocre in these organizations.
From my experience, people with such a mentality end up as bond breakers or end up extremely disillusioned working in their organization and just counting the days till the end of their bond.

You choose a scholarship according to how well the organization's work aligns with your interest (if you want to do science research, you shouldn't be choosing STB, if you are interested in finance, you shouldn't be choosing DSTA). It sounds totally illogical to me to choose a scholarship according to how selective the organizations are and you are only doing a disservice to yourself.

Last edited by PureFitness; 11-13-2011 at 05:48 PM.
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
teddynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureFitness View Post
From my experience, people with such a mentality end up as bond breakers or end up extremely disillusioned working in their organization and just counting the days till the end of their bond.

You choose a scholarship according to how well the organization's work aligns with your interest (if you want to do science research, you shouldn't be choosing STB, if you are interested in finance, you shouldn't be choosing DSTA). It sounds totally illogical to me to choose a scholarship according to how selective the organizations are and you are only doing a disservice to yourself.
I would like to echo PureFitness remarks here. They are especially salient to the discussion of scholarships. The selection of scholarships based on how many people attain the scholarship, or its relative "prestige" especially for certain scholarships lead to many bond breakers, but even more people who cannot break the bond because they just have no money and end up counting down the 6 years of service.

After the 6 years of disappointment, you will have the "good riddance" feeling and the feeling that "I am going to show what I am worth in the industry I like". But is that really the case? You are competing with fresh graduates who are 6 years younger, have lower salary requirements in general, and more willing to learn and work. Not saying that after the 6 years you cannot get hired; it is just that other people who begun working in that organisation fresh from graduation and are of the same age as you, are probably gonna be your boss and be considered for promotion before you.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
louis7788

louis7788 has a neutral reputation

Hi Teddynuts!

Congrats on those scholarship and university offers that you have secured! Just wanted to check with you for Warwick, do you have any idea as to the cost of living there? I'm preparing my application now and just wanted an idea of the cost!

Regards,
louis7788
louis7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
teddynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis7788 View Post
Hi Teddynuts!

Congrats on those scholarship and university offers that you have secured! Just wanted to check with you for Warwick, do you have any idea as to the cost of living there? I'm preparing my application now and just wanted an idea of the cost!

Regards,
louis7788
Hey! Thanks! For Warwick, I think this answers your question: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...funding/costs/

Generally, don't worry so much about course. Apply for the top few choices, then after you get in, then worry about costs Focus on the UCAS Essay!!

Tags
a*star, applications, dsta, scholarships, teddynuts