BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
blurme

blurme has a neutral reputation
Unhappy Please help me

Hello, I'm a A level ARTS student who is planning to US universities for economics/business. I've only taken SAT 1 but my results sucked, so I'm planning to take again for either Nov 5/Dec 3 paper.
1)Are there any relatively good universities in US for business/economics courses that only requires SAT 1? (plus A levels)
2)Or are there any universities that only accepts A levels?

I tried visiting the universities websites (NYU, UCB, UCLA, Stanford, chicago)but the requirements are not clearly stated in some, so I'm pretty confused right now. I didn't take subject test cause I took h1 math so i don't learn everything needed for Math 2 , and according to my friend in US now, she said that Math 1 is not highly regarded. And besides that, i don't have any other subjects to take. (TIME CONSTRAINTS TOO, I made the decisions to go overseas only recently)

Please give me some advice , thankss!!
blurme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Introverted.

Introverted. has a neutral reputation

SAT 1 is a must. Most schools apart from the top ranked ones do not require the subject tests, but it will look good if you score highly. if they do require the subject tests, they usually will state in pretty clearly.

if you REALLY need a subject test, just take math 2, it really is not hard at all. most of it is o' level stuff. i probably applied what i learnt in h2 math in only a couple questions. the problem is the bell curve, 20% of those who take it score perfect IIRC. or you can try chinese with listening(if you're chinese that is), from what i've read on the internet its pretty easy. but colleges won't care even if you score perfect since they'll assume it's your native language.

another thing, dont just look at the top ranked ones like chicago nyu stanford, there are plenty of good schools out there for business. IU-bloomington, notre dame, UNC-chapel hill are pretty highly regarded in the states as well.
Introverted. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurme View Post
Hello, I'm a A level ARTS student who is planning to US universities for economics/business. I've only taken SAT 1 but my results sucked, so I'm planning to take again for either Nov 5/Dec 3 paper.
1)Are there any relatively good universities in US for business/economics courses that only requires SAT 1? (plus A levels)
2)Or are there any universities that only accepts A levels?

I tried visiting the universities websites (NYU, UCB, UCLA, Stanford, chicago)but the requirements are not clearly stated in some, so I'm pretty confused right now. I didn't take subject test cause I took h1 math so i don't learn everything needed for Math 2 , and according to my friend in US now, she said that Math 1 is not highly regarded. And besides that, i don't have any other subjects to take. (TIME CONSTRAINTS TOO, I made the decisions to go overseas only recently)

Please give me some advice , thankss!!
I echo Introverted advice. I am also JC 2, finished all my applications and stuff, and here's some advice and response to your queries

1. SAT I is very important. Yes, you must take it in Nov/Dec, since most schools DO NOT wait for your January SAT scores. SAT scores, try to aim for at least 2100 if you are going for the top tier schools (e.g. Ivy League)

2. SAT II is clearly stated on many universities websites, including those you imagine. Finding it is simple just google e.g. "Stanford Undergraduate SAT Subject Test" and you should be able to find your information in the first two links. Do a highly focused search...there are tons of info per uni admission website, you dont have all the time in the world to read through them

3. US universities all require SAT sorry. Yes they all accept A levels, but SAT is still required regardless. I am referring to the better schools..of course there are many less prestigious universities that dont need SAT and will be more than happy to take you in, BUT you probably rather study in NUS/NTU/SMU than go those kinda unis (no offence)

4. There is NO Business/Econs SAT. Closest? Its Math. And your US friend is totally right. Math 1 is kinda really useless in the eyes of Admission Officers. So is Chinese, because thats your mother tongue and they rather know that you get a 780 on Phy/Chem/Bio/Math than a 800 on Chinese. For SAT subject scores, to be competitive, you need at least 780-790, for math II its 790-800.

Finally, even if you take H1 math, why dont u just go on College Board and try a Math 2. Then see what are your chances. If you score above 700, then u r good to go, with some extra practice!

All the best!
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

1. depending on Uni some Uni take the best score. other avg, Uni usually wouldn't publish the way the do things.

2. SAT II chinese can be bad, esp U are chinese. it is better for you to do SAT on a different subject esp U are looking at NYU, UCB, UCLA, Stanford etc.

3. What is your projected As? The above Uni are heavily represented by top scholars in SG. Esp in Biz (maybe Econ) it is very competitive

4a. With over 2600 Uni/College, there are a good number of Uni that takes just O levels! There are good LAC that do without SAT but you have to have great essay and excellent CCA.

if U are doing for decent Uni - UMN Econ depart is pretty good. Indiana - Kelley is a decent Bschool, without good SAT U have to start from general college and transfer to Kelly on your 2nd yr. Arizone -Eller may do without SAT

4b: notre dame, UNC-chapel hill iirc international students quota is lower than other Uni around the midwest ie UiUC/Wisconsin/UMN/Ohio State.

5. there are several guides online.
ie
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...omics-rankings
http://www.businessweek.com/interact...iness+programs

Last edited by patryn33; 11-01-2011 at 12:39 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
blurme

blurme has a neutral reputation

Thanks everyone. I'd retake SAT1 but i really don't think I can do Math 2 and another subject to make it in time for the application deadline.
I'm aiming for the top few schools only cause yeah there's no point going US to go to schools that are not as good.

From NYU website: To be eligible for admission, applicants are expected to submit results from one of the following testing options:

The SAT Reasoning Test; or
The ACT (with Writing Test); or
Three SAT Subject Test scores; or
Three AP exam scores; or
The International Baccalaureate Diploma; or
Three IB higher-level exam scores (if you are not an IB Diploma candidate); or
Students may instead elect to submit results from a nationally accredited exam that is considered locally to signify the completion of secondary education and is administered independently of the student’s school.
Examples include but are not limited to:

GCE Advanced Level Examinations (or equivalent combination of AS-Level and A-Level examinations). AS-Level and GCSE/O-level examination results should also be submitted if available

Does this mean that i can submit my predicted scores for Alevels? together with a decent SAT 1 of course. and do without the SAT subject test?

UC websites also state that SAT subject tests are not required, but SAT 1 is a must....

so if these websites state that i dont need Subject test, is it really alright if i dont send in subject tests? like would it be at a disadvantage to those who have subject test?
blurme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Yes, everyone from Singapore under the A level system HAS to send in predicted grades AND prelim results, good or bad, with or without SAT 1 or 2. O levels / IP results are required as the US schools require your academic performance from 9th grade (Sec 3).

For schools that say SAT Subject tests are recommended, then they actually WANT you to take it. If like NYU, or UC, mentioning that SAT Subject tests are optional and not required, then you won't be disadvantaged.

Before you take the SAT test, remember to "Send Score Reports" on College Board...they take up to 3 weeks so its best to do it before the SAT test itself, so that when results are released, they are sent immediately to the schools.
teddynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurme View Post
I'm aiming for the top few schools only cause yeah there's no point going US to go to schools that are not as good.

UC websites also state that SAT subject tests are not required, but SAT 1 is a must....

so if these websites state that i dont need Subject test, is it really alright if i dont send in subject tests? like would it be at a disadvantage to those who have subject test?
Are you reading it right? only specific major is encourage to do SAT subjects, and Biz and Econ are not mentioned.
http://students.berkeley.edu/admissi...?id=55&navid=N
http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/intl.htm

with Uni that strongly recommend one to take, yes they meant TAKE it, else it is to your disadv when it does narrow down to U and another applicant with only 1 space left. Similar results one with decent SAT 2 scores and other has none to show.

when U said not as good, do u mean not as good compared to these top Uni or not as good as NUS/NTU? these top Uni at times has a certain quota for international students. Alot of Singaporeans apply to these Uni, many scholars are getting SAT scores at ~2200.

U should check out international applicants stats here.
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...-ucla-ucb.html

some ppl do make it to UCLA or UCB thru CC route, these few generally as great CCA, stellar recommendations and 4.0 GPA from CC.

fyi :iirc UCB-HAAS does not take freshman.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

Definitely retake the SAT reasoning test if you think you did badly at it. And your friend is right, there isn't much point in taking math I. Furthermore, if you're thinking of studying economics, as an economics and finance major in the US I can tell you that there's a lot of math. While the SAT II math is nothing compared to the math that you're going to study, it does boost your application, even if it's not required. So, definitely take math II, even if you don't take the other science subject tests.

What I say is reflective my own opinion, not that of the BrightSparks Administration nor that of other moderators. Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Local Moderator - Overseas: US
Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sat, us universities