BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Business, Accountancy & Finance
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
whitetiger89

whitetiger89 has a neutral reputation
Default Accountancy or Business?

hi, I just received my "A" level results and I am currently considering either business( banking and finance) or accountancy.

I want to take accountancy, but can i like cross-over to the banking and finance sector after i graduate? Or are the job scopes of these 2 jobs totally different?

Also, is taking a double degree very tough? What are the requirements grade-wise?
I am actually quite interested in the double degree offered by NTU in accountancy and business as it would give me more options in future but I am afraid that I will not be able to cope.

Will gladly appreciate it if someone who knows more can enlighten me..
whitetiger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
spencer

spencer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger89 View Post
hi, I just received my "A" level results and I am currently considering either business( banking and finance) or accountancy.

I want to take accountancy, but can i like cross-over to the banking and finance sector after i graduate? Or are the job scopes of these 2 jobs totally different?

Also, is taking a double degree very tough? What are the requirements grade-wise?
I am actually quite interested in the double degree offered by NTU in accountancy and business as it would give me more options in future but I am afraid that I will not be able to cope.

Will gladly appreciate it if someone who knows more can enlighten me..
Always choose the school with a big international name, and that points to NUS.

For business, the course that you choose doesn't matter. Business, finance and accounting are all simple stuff. Even investment banks would hire people from any background because finance is so simple to teach.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
Always choose the school with a big international name, and that points to NUS.

For business, the course that you choose doesn't matter. Business, finance and accounting are all simple stuff. Even investment banks would hire people from any background because finance is so simple to teach.
NUS may have a big name but in the business area, Nanyang Business School trumps NUS's. Seems like you have A LOT of support for NUS.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
NUS may have a big name but in the business area, Nanyang Business School trumps NUS's. Seems like you have A LOT of support for NUS.
Don't be silly. If you ask most bankers in London or NY, do you think they will identify more with Nat'l Uni of Sing or Nanyang tech? Obviously they don't know both, but they would take NUS just like they would take TokyoU over Tohoku.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Don't be silly. If you ask most bankers in London or NY, do you think they will identify more with Nat'l Uni of Sing or Nanyang tech? Obviously they don't know both, but they would take NUS just like they would take TokyoU over Tohoku.
Now that is just a flawed view. Nanyang Business School is the top Business School in this region. If employers are so stupid not as to know this, then they aren't worth working for.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
questions

questions has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
Now that is just a flawed view. Nanyang Business School is the top Business School in this region. If employers are so stupid not as to know this, then they aren't worth working for.
I think it depends. Local employers might recognise the fact that Nanyang Business School is more established than NUS's. But to overseas employers like those in London, NUS might be more highly ranked by them.
questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by questions View Post
I think it depends. Local employers might recognise the fact that Nanyang Business School is more established than NUS's. But to overseas employers like those in London, NUS might be more highly ranked by them.
I only know that NUS has a good MBA program in Asia. For AXJ schools, may be IIT, NUS, HKUST. The rest of the big stack of CVs, just throw towards the staircase and see which lands on top.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I only know that NUS has a good MBA program in Asia. For AXJ schools, may be IIT, NUS, HKUST. The rest of the big stack of CVs, just throw towards the staircase and see which lands on top.
Which company do you speak for?
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanshuo View Post
Which company do you speak for?
FO investment banks S&T .
Old 02-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by questions View Post
I'd like to add that NUS's MBA programme is a target. So is HKUST's MBA.