BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
twentythree

twentythree has a neutral reputation

fyi, sorry to be a bummer, but the nus minor program would take at least 6 modules or 24 modular credits, each carrying 4 mcs, not the imagined 2-3 smugger.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/...nor_progs.html

the nus double major program takes double that, 12 modules or 48 modular credits

http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/...ble_major.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUgger View Post
thought this would be helpful

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2368833

Classroom Participation
Q: I've heard about this whole class pp thing till the point where people ask nonsense and it doesn't really sound pleasant with me. I'm more of a anti-social person and I don't want to come up with stupid questions to ask the prof. Does this really happen in class or is it some urban myth?

A: Honestly, I've not had much of a problem with this. There are bound to be people who are clearly chasing after class participation marks but I've noticed that this doesn't happen very much in my own course. On the other hand, the uni core classes are much more competitive when it comes to class participation and some people from certain faculties wayang a bit more than others.

A: First I don't think you will stay to remain anti-social for the next 3-4 years. I was pretty much like you not comfortable with the class participation thingy initially...But after a while you will come to accept the participation and start to ask relevant qns and participate in discussion...I don't ever think you have to mind those who hog the limelight with incessant qns...What matter is your own learning...

Major n Minor
Q: Does smu have this major minor thing?

A: There is no minor in SMU...majors or double major require you to take at least 5 courses to fulfill each majors..whereas a minor in NUS or NTU requires only 2-3 modules...so in a way you learn more things and have a better grasp of the major that you're taking rather have a supeficial understanding just from 2-3 course (sorry not suggesting anything, it's my personal opinions , lest some other guys see it) ha...

Clothes, etc
Q: Ok, I've heard about all the glitz and glamour about smu. Do SMU students generally dress up better than those of other unis? Because I'm a shirt + jeans kind of person and I don't really like the whole dressing up for school and carrying branded stuff theory. =\

A: I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda person. Period. Nobody will compel you to uphold an image you're not comfortable with yourself. Some people dress up more than others but my friends have been pretty normal.

A: Hurr...woh has our school's marketing campaign taken a whole new meaning? I thought they meant to portray us to be confident but never dress just to impress...haha...anyways, if you're free. take a walk down SMU campus and you wouldn't think this is some fashion runway... though school is over, some peeps like me are still taking summer term...Don't worry SMU students are normal pple... hope it helps.

Poly grads with more experience
Q: SMU have a reputation of accepting more Poly grads. Would I find them a STRONG competition? I heard they give great presentations and I don't want to be at a disadvantaged even before I step into Uni.

A: Depends on the course you're pursuing. In my faculty, we don't have any yet. I've come across poly grads in my uni core classes but they're pretty normal people as well. I don't find myself greatly disadvantaged in comparison to the poly grads. However, I think if you're going to pursue IS, you might have a steep learning curve to conquer while poly grads with a solid computing background might not have to struggle so much.

A: And since when does poly grads have that "added" adv? True, we have some experience doing presentation but nowadays the JC curriculum does involve the students in some kind of presentation. Even then, we may not have the level of eloquency as some of the JC students...Whatever it is, i think everyone has a fair level playing field...u count on your own effort to get ahead...so if you have the mentality that some pple hve the extra adv then you have lost half the battle...anyway..it's not a battle...depends on your take..i can't say it for u till you experience it yourself...

Seminar-style
Q: I still don't get the seminar style for teaching and I just realised there is no lectures or tutorial. So is everything being taught in a small class just like in primary and secondary school?

A: Seminar style promotes independence. For my course, this means that we have to read and digest quite a fair bit of readings before every seminar. I personally, struggled with this during my first sem. Primarily because I happen to be quite lazy and I found myself having to read stacks of things. The professors will engage you in more intellectually stimulating concepts and ideas but most of them expect you to have a basic understanding of the topic at hand. This means that while seminars are conducted in small groups like in primary and secondary school, there's a lot more work to be done.

Last edited by twentythree; 05-16-2009 at 01:39 AM.
twentythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
chickenkid

chickenkid has a neutral reputation

wow.. i didnt know university is so stressful. i am starting my 1st year in 2011. i seriously hate mugging..
chickenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
mazzystar

mazzystar has a neutral reputation
Default syllabus?

Hi, I got offered a place at SMU Biz but I'm not sure of what the syllabus is like. Could you point me towards any textbooks or other sources that you're currently using to show me what studying business is like? (I really disliked econs in JC, which is why I'm asking :x) Thanks!
mazzystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
fieryelf

fieryelf has a neutral reputation
Default SMU campus life

Hi,
I'm waiting for my A level results to be released in March and am currently at a loss as to which uni to attend. One thing I heard about SMU is it's lack of campus life. Mostly because the campus is small and all the faculties are separated cos of it's location and things like that, so there's no, sort of common ground or many common facilities etc etc? Is this true? I mean, compared to say NUS or NTU, are the house/hall activities like lacklustre or non existent?

Second thing, I'm going to be on vacation sometime this year, so I need to finalise the dates and all, so just wanna ask when exactly are our uni applications expected in, and when will the results be out, and when is the orientation period around? Btw I understand that uni will start promptly on the 18th of August, is that right?

Last thing! How much weightage is our SAT score given hmmm?
fieryelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
koo86

koo86 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryelf View Post
Hi,
I'm waiting for my A level results to be released in March and am currently at a loss as to which uni to attend. One thing I heard about SMU is it's lack of campus life. Mostly because the campus is small and all the faculties are separated cos of it's location and things like that, so there's no, sort of common ground or many common facilities etc etc? Is this true? I mean, compared to say NUS or NTU, are the house/hall activities like lacklustre or non existent?

Second thing, I'm going to be on vacation sometime this year, so I need to finalise the dates and all, so just wanna ask when exactly are our uni applications expected in, and when will the results be out, and when is the orientation period around? Btw I understand that uni will start promptly on the 18th of August, is that right?

Last thing! How much weightage is our SAT score given hmmm?
Yeap spot on ! , the campus life is detrimental , you will be overwhelmed by work ( trust me I was there for a year), and be prepared to dedicate your weekends to work work work work !. However, they do have a nice gym though...
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
winnie15

winnie15 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzystar View Post
Hi, I got offered a place at SMU Biz but I'm not sure of what the syllabus is like. Could you point me towards any textbooks or other sources that you're currently using to show me what studying business is like? (I really disliked econs in JC, which is why I'm asking :x) Thanks!
Hi guys, similar to mazzystar, I would like to ask from any seniors here studying Business how it's like I have checked SMU website and flipped through its brochures regarding its courses to try to gain a better insight but now everything still feels so unfamiliar..Would really like to hear some sharing from seniors here! To mazzystar, I have the same fear as you :/ Econs was not sth that appealed to me very much, and I'm not very sure if the correlation between liking Econs and Business is strong haha XD
winnie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 AM   #17
seeweiren

seeweiren has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie15 View Post
Hi guys, similar to mazzystar, I would like to ask from any seniors here studying Business how it's like I have checked SMU website and flipped through its brochures regarding its courses to try to gain a better insight but now everything still feels so unfamiliar..Would really like to hear some sharing from seniors here! To mazzystar, I have the same fear as you :/ Econs was not sth that appealed to me very much, and I'm not very sure if the correlation between liking Econs and Business is strong haha XD
I think the first question you should ask yourself:

What are you studying for?

Money,career,fame,intellectual knowledge, jump start blar blar.... there's always no fixed answer to it. Every objectives will drive you to move and go on.

SMU business is stressful, competitive, practical, challenging and fulfilling. Almost everyone is SMU are grades-hungry, but guess what it's the same in the outside world, where u compete to get yr annual bonus,promotion and performance. When people tell you they are not bothered by grades, it's either they are way too smart, or they are bull-s**ting.

All universities including Harvard and Cambridge will tell you their program is the best catered for you. It's the good way to sell the school program.

The econs that you learn in A level is just the basic, shallow. There's so many things out there in the business world. And guess what, maths is applied in econs as well. That's how you get all your explanation in econs.Textbook is a supplement not a compliment at times.

It's ok to have reservation and fear. I have as well, like the initial uncalled fear where my NUS and NTU peers who told me SMU Biz Sch is not even ranked or accredited by EQUIS and AACSB. Guess what, the average salary and employment rate proved the otherwise for such fears. Furthermore, we are only like 10 years old.

The endless class part n project n meetings makes me wiser,stronger and better.

All I can say is Welcome onboard to SMU, an awesome(Since I am currently on Exchange) and a gruesome (during semester) place that trains you for the real-world.
seeweiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
Tan

Tan has a neutral reputation

Sorry I dont know where to post this but I hope it can be clarified.
How do you pronounce cum laude?
1. Cum Lua-de
2. Cum Luad
3. something else

Its seriously impt for me because I really need that info. Thank you.

Last edited by Tan; 03-01-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

And what language would that be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_honors

Its spanish, so that shld be pronunced as 3 syllabus, cum lau de

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...agna_cum_laude

Actually, to be really exact, it should sound more like Coom la-oo-day. U is pronouced kinda like Ooo.

What I say is my OWN opinion

Last edited by Ashearo; 03-01-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #20
Michelle
BrightSparks Expert

Michelle has a neutral reputation

hi,

cum laude means "with honors" in Latin. Commonly used by US universaties, it's like the UK style honors system but not a direct map.

cum laude is pronounced as "come lor dei"

FYI highest honor - Summa cum laude, second is Magna cum laude and then cum laude.

Hope this helps.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote