BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
chipmunks3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jurong West
Posts: 42
chipmunks3 has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to chipmunks3
Smile Medicine/ dentistry in australia

I study the old curriculum. My grades are chem, bio, physics, maths all A, Gp b4, pw 2, Math s paper Merit, Chem s paper U, higher chinese o level A1.

Is ir true gp b4 translates to c in the new curriculum.

Btw, what are my options if i intend to study in Aus. I applied to uni of queensland, the adminstrator ask e about Maths S paper. What is the syllabus.

I also applied to Hong kong uni, however no reply so far.

Anyone to help me? I want to study medicine, dentistry, hope to hear from some helpful souls. Hope to receive help to go about doing it.

My main concern is the cost, 300000 aud, quite ex. Curious are there any scholarship and aids available?

urgent, this is my last chance cos ord in 2009, dun want to waste 1 more year reapplying.
__________________
chipmunks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
patryn33
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: not in SG!!!
Posts: 940
patryn33 has a neutral reputation
Default

1st of all Aid is pretty hard to come by for Australia. Even harder for those going for Med/Den. There are some aid but under $3K a yr, Its rather meaningless . U must have looked at UQ, there are nothing for those studying Med/Den.

a quick google:
Uni like UTAS is only a little cheaper still there are not scholarship to those doing Medicine.
http://www.international.utas.edu.au...courses/show/4

There are no International scholarship for those doing Med or Dentistry in adelaide. fees also higher, cost of living is lower than UQ.
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/publicati..._summary10.pdf

nothing little aid at UDSY.
nothing in Flinders

if U don't mind studying a another language and is unwilling to burn thru $300K+. U can take adv of "free" programs in finland/norway or sweden. all U need to pay is insurance, some Uni fees usually little (EU$50-100 per term) and cost of living ranging from EU$700-1000 amth.
Germany/France are also heavily subsidize U are looking at paying EU$500+ per term.
http://www.smc.gov.sg/html/1153709442948.html
http://www.sdc.gov.sg/html/MungoBlob...20(020108).pdf
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,715
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

I believe its no longer free in Sweden (Swedish friends told me). BUT if you are willing to take spanish, go for cuba. Nearly 3rd world country but first world health care. And its free for international students as well.

There are no scholarships from here that specifically offers for Dentistry/Medicine (besides PSC Local Medicine Award). FMS = Father Mother Scholarship.
__________________


What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
patryn33
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: not in SG!!!
Posts: 940
patryn33 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
I believe its no longer free in Sweden (Swedish friends told me). BUT if you are willing to take spanish, go for cuba. Nearly 3rd world country but first world health care. And its free for international students as well.
I know "free" is going out the law in sweden. Didn't know the law are passed already. Didn't deep enough to find the info.
The amount they charging is sky high too?

Lund webby still say its free.. or its only for masters.. under already paying??
http://www.lu.se/lund-university/mas...s/tuition-fees

Last edited by patryn33; 03-12-2009 at 10:47 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,715
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

I am not sure what the prices are like as my friends did not mention it. For sure Cuba is still free.
__________________


What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
patryn33
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: not in SG!!!
Posts: 940
patryn33 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
I am not sure what the prices are like as my friends did not mention it. For sure Cuba is still free.
are cuba degree even listed? may have to put thru alot of paper work.
not many ppl are willing to take the risk.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
fiddle56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
fiddle56 has a neutral reputation
Default Attachments required?

Hi, I was wondering if doing an attachment with a doctor or at a hospital affects your chances a lot when applying for aus med. And also, HOW do I go about arranging to do an attachment? Because though I am v keen on studying med, I want to confirm my interest with myself AND be able to show the universities that I'm sincere about med.

Please help, I have no idea who to contact for attachments.
fiddle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,715
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

You can approach your previous school teachers and ask the administrative staff if they can help you look for an attachment. Alternatively, you can find one yourself. I know of people who call the hospitals directly and request for job-shadowings. Requires some effort on your part..
__________________


What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
Banehallow
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22
Banehallow has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunks3 View Post
I study the old curriculum. My grades are chem, bio, physics, maths all A, Gp b4, pw 2, Math s paper Merit, Chem s paper U, higher chinese o level A1.

Is ir true gp b4 translates to c in the new curriculum.

Btw, what are my options if i intend to study in Aus. I applied to uni of queensland, the adminstrator ask e about Maths S paper. What is the syllabus.

I also applied to Hong kong uni, however no reply so far.

Anyone to help me? I want to study medicine, dentistry, hope to hear from some helpful souls. Hope to receive help to go about doing it.

My main concern is the cost, 300000 aud, quite ex. Curious are there any scholarship and aids available?

urgent, this is my last chance cos ord in 2009, dun want to waste 1 more year reapplying.
Have you consider pursuing pharmacy or veterinary medicine?

Another plan is just to study a BSc and do Honours and then apply for PR, work abit and save up then do medicine. It cost only 8k per annum for PR while it can cost 40+ k per annum

Nope, no scholarship except father-mother scholarship is available to international students
Banehallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Banehallow
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22
Banehallow has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle56 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if doing an attachment with a doctor or at a hospital affects your chances a lot when applying for aus med. And also, HOW do I go about arranging to do an attachment? Because though I am v keen on studying med, I want to confirm my interest with myself AND be able to show the universities that I'm sincere about med.

Please help, I have no idea who to contact for attachments.
Some US medical schools will take that into account if you have volunteered for old folks home, charity work etc but AFAIK no Aussie medical school will take that into consideration. In Australia, its your grades, GAMSAT/UMAT and the interview is all that matters.
Banehallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.