BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #31
twentythree

twentythree has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlilo View Post
Whilst in the process of making a decision, I realised that the bidding system in NUS biz school seems somewhat a disadvantage. From what I've read, we are all given a certain number of bid points for our entire undergraduate course, which we will then use to bid for the modules of our choice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't this put us at a disadvantage rather than if we were give a choice of a fixed set of modules? The bidding system means that not everyone will get the modules of their choice, which also means we might not be headed in the 'path' of choice within the business course.
hey mate, nus bschool allocates all foundation modules. u will get them for a nominal one point. foundation are compulsory modules, so theres no issue. the remaining modules are used for your;

1. faculty i.e. bschool or major modules, so if you are finance and chemistry, your points you saved through out the 4 semesters you take to clear your foundation modules will give you even more points to bid for chemistry mods than other faculties who do not allocate foundation modules. like arts for example. so you xxx number of points is used for business finance modules and your chemistry major required modules.

2. your electives, like non business modules, things like singapore history, unrestricted i.e. any modules have a separate account. so it doesn affect anything. these modules are usually cheap, unless the v. popular ones like forensic science. if not u have more than enough.

and again everyone who chooses whatever major (finance, marketing or whatever) will get to complete their major of choice, they will never ever be forced not to fulfill their major requiremnets due to this reason.. never ever has it happened. only thing is that students might not always get all their preferred time slots or might do the classes in other semesters instead with all their friends due to very high demand for certain majors like finance. EVERYONE will be able to complete what they want. its modular. its good not a disadvantage. if fixed, if you wana change, you are screwed, you waste time. the modular system helps you re-map the modules u already taken for something you want to drop into another university requirement as much as possible. but of course there are limits.

like i said before, nus minor is not like the other schools who have minimal requirements, 6 modules at least. the nus double major program is double that. so you know you truly know your stuff, not just skimmin the surface..

Last edited by twentythree; 05-21-2009 at 12:04 AM.
twentythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #32
sunlilo

sunlilo has a neutral reputation

thanks, that really clarifies alot
sunlilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #33
mrskunda

mrskunda has a neutral reputation

Hi everyone, i need help here.
Is it true that even if i got into BBA acct i can choose to switch to just BBA (biz) when i enter the course ?
Appreciate help here, thanks
mrskunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #34
TanX

TanX has a neutral reputation
Cool

Do we need to go for interview in order to enrol into NUS ACC?
TanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #35
slayercsa

slayercsa has a neutral reputation

hi. I am one of the freshies here, got a spot 2 years later from now due to NS.

just like to ask about NUS Biz Admin modules. Are there alot of projects in the modules and is there alot of memory work to be done ? Cause I like to do projects and usually tend to study by understanding the concept, although I am fine with memorising.

And also are the percentage of projects large?

EDIT: Do u guys have to find interships for yourself and is it a must?

Last edited by slayercsa; 04-20-2010 at 12:15 PM.
slayercsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #36
questionmarks

questionmarks has a neutral reputation

Anyone who have went for NUS Business scholarship...do you mind sharing the components during the interview and the kind of questions that would be asked...Please help!!!
questionmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #37
umaygn

umaygn has a neutral reputation

mrskunda: It is possible. I've a friend who has done so

TanX: Nope, you don't have to. Interviews are more for special programmes eg double-degrees, concurrent programmes, and discretionary (appeal).

slayercsa: Hi! there are quite a number of projs. memory work is also needed but most of the time we are taught on learning concepts and applying them, rather than merely memorizing what we learn. projects on average weigh about 20-30%. For BBA(Acc), internships are compulsory in year 2 or 3. As for BBA, it is not a must but well, generally everyone will want to at least go for one in the course of uni yeah? And for that, we have to find them ourselves.
umaygn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #38
Shaynikins

Shaynikins has a neutral reputation

I think you all can start checking your online application status for NUS already.

Just checked mine - NUS ACC.
Shaynikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #39
slayercsa

slayercsa has a neutral reputation

hey a question about majoring in nus.

how does this system works? I know NTU is like 2nd year u get to choose ur specialization, but NUS u dont get to choose.

Someone mind briefly explain how u major? Is it like FASS, whereby u have to bid for the require exposure modules and hit a certain requirement. once u reach that requirement, u can declare your major? Is there a scenario whereby one could not get his desired major because of not enough points to bid or get outbidded ?

I not sure if my understanding is correct, someone please rectify me. thanks
slayercsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #40
umaygn

umaygn has a neutral reputation

nope, for nus bba you get to declare your major and you won't have to bid or whatsoever. there is no quota. we currently have 4 types of majors: Management, Marketing, Finance, and Operations/Supply Chain Management. As long as you have completed the 15 foundation modules by the 2nd or 3rd year (usually the 3rd), you will be able to officially declare a major and fulfil the requirements of 4 compulsory higher level mods (within a selected list of a few) of your major.
umaygn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, ntu, nus, smu, university