BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 AM   #21
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylee View Post
any idea which US universities are "more popular" among poly grads?
poly? maybe Purdue... I think U find more in USC.
the rest, plenty of JC ppl.. UMICH plenty of RJ ppl doing engineering

Last edited by patryn33; 06-25-2009 at 10:21 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #22
jacksamwhite

jacksamwhite has a neutral reputation

I think college and university ranking always matters. Then comes affordability and quality of life in campuses. One should choose a college keeping in mind all the above things.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #23
mengshuen

mengshuen has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksamwhite View Post
I think college and university ranking always matters. Then comes affordability and quality of life in campuses. One should choose a college keeping in mind all the above things.
People usually talk about the fit of the college. While generally it is true, I find that almost all Singaporean applicants cannot find out about the fit of the college, because we don't usually participate in their prefrosh activities. The thing we should look out for will therefore be the general vibe of the college i.e. is it known as a preppy/religious/geeky etc school. There are other factors to consider... such as location, student population etc.

However, here comes the tricky issue. Should I choose a higher ranked college over some other school that probably that fits me better?

There is no correct answer to this question. If you're going to work in a highly competitive field, a "better" college will give you certain advantages in the workforce. However, if you know you'd be miserable in that college, then forget it. Since it is extremely unlikely to be accepted to all the top colleges, you may not always have the choice to choose your "best-fit". Instead, I feel that you should just classify colleges into three broad groups: the no-fit/might-fit/sure-fit schools. If you're accepted by the college that is your reach + sure-fit, talk to your seniors to learn more about it. If it sounds ideal that you're going to spend the next four years there, congrats!

Otherwise, for those "might-fit" colleges, the most important thing is to learn much more about it. It might tilt your opinion of the school one way or another, and at this time, it might be good to consider the rankings and general perception of that school.
mengshuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #24
nicoletee

nicoletee has a neutral reputation

The key is to make your decision with full information, not just based on 'gut feel'. Do not compromise on the time you invest to research the different universities properly, and keep an open mind. As Mengshuen said, while the more popular, top-ranked colleges may be top-of-mind for you, there may be other lesser-known, but no less prestigious ones, that are a better fit for what you are looking for.

Examples of things you may want to consider when making your decision are academics (rankings of overall university and specific departments; quality of faculty - particularly if you are interested in doing research; student-faculty ratio); location (city, near a city, rural; East Coast; West Coast); student life (type of societies/clubs on campus, greek society life like fraternities and sororities); availability of financial aid (which universities have generous financial aid policies that do not distinguish between local residents and international students) and many many more! So take the time to think through what you want to achieve out of your college years (and investment), and research which universities will best meet your criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengshuen View Post
People usually talk about the fit of the college. While generally it is true, I find that almost all Singaporean applicants cannot find out about the fit of the college, because we don't usually participate in their prefrosh activities. The thing we should look out for will therefore be the general vibe of the college i.e. is it known as a preppy/religious/geeky etc school. There are other factors to consider... such as location, student population etc.

However, here comes the tricky issue. Should I choose a higher ranked college over some other school that probably that fits me better?

There is no correct answer to this question. If you're going to work in a highly competitive field, a "better" college will give you certain advantages in the workforce. However, if you know you'd be miserable in that college, then forget it. Since it is extremely unlikely to be accepted to all the top colleges, you may not always have the choice to choose your "best-fit". Instead, I feel that you should just classify colleges into three broad groups: the no-fit/might-fit/sure-fit schools. If you're accepted by the college that is your reach + sure-fit, talk to your seniors to learn more about it. If it sounds ideal that you're going to spend the next four years there, congrats!

Otherwise, for those "might-fit" colleges, the most important thing is to learn much more about it. It might tilt your opinion of the school one way or another, and at this time, it might be good to consider the rankings and general perception of that school.