BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #241
kiiyou94

kiiyou94 has a neutral reputation

Hi people,

Just curious, is there any senior who is currently studying Actuarial Science in NTU biz or taking up a second major for actuarial science in SMU biz?

I've just been accepted into both NTU Business and SMU Business Management and am now in a dilemma between the two schools because I am interested in specializing in Actuarial Science and (correct me if I'm wrong) as far as i know, to study actuarial science in NTU biz, one has to do really well in certain modules in Year 1 and go thru a selection process but as for SMU biz, it is offered as a second major under the school of Econs so am i right to say that there is a higher chance of being able to take it up as a second major right? :/

And is anyone able to provide me as to what's difference in the size of one tutorial class in NTU and SMU? (hopefully it'll help me to decide betwn the courses)

THANKS!! ^^
kiiyou94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #242
Chewchun

Chewchun has a neutral reputation

Hi.
Gonna make my decision very soon and pondering over NUS or NTU.

Honestly,after all the reading up, it seems that NUS seems to be better in terms of international prestige, internship and overseas opportunities.

IS IT TRUE?

I'm those that wanna travel as many and as far as possible and do all kinds of crazy stuff but i'm kinda in dilemma cause NUS seems to be better but my siblings are all in NTU(which mean i can get help from them).

AND ITS FREAKING SAD THAT NONE OF MY FRENZ APPLIED FOR BUSINESS.I FEEL SO LONELY.
Chewchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #243
pokkaGT

pokkaGT has a neutral reputation

"better" isn't very specific.

1. As for reputation, I can't be sure since the stories I heard are research intensive (highly academic) courses. Business is kinda non-academic. NUS has the national tag on it so I guess that counts as something :/

2. Internships opportunities are the same as NTU/SMU.

3. NUS have a greater variety of overseas exchanges. Even to universities I can't even pronounce. Anyway, NUS doesn't have exclusive relationships with top overseas universities or countries.

Bottomline: NTU and NUS is fundamentally the same.

Last edited by pokkaGT; 05-25-2013 at 10:24 PM.
pokkaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #244
blittzz

blittzz has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewchun View Post
Hi.

Honestly,after all the reading up, it seems that NUS seems to be better in terms of international prestige, internship and overseas opportunities.

IS IT TRUE?

I'm those that wanna travel as many and as far as possible and do all kinds of crazy stuff but i'm kinda in dilemma cause NUS seems to be better but my siblings are all in NTU(which mean i can get help from them).

AND ITS FREAKING SAD THAT NONE OF MY FRENZ APPLIED FOR BUSINESS.I FEEL SO LONELY.
Hello!

I'm from SMU business.. going year 4.

Like you, i like to travel too.

My grades are average but through SMU, i managed to do the following:

1. Go Philippines on an overseas community service (20 days)
2. Go Turkey on an Accounting Study Mission (10 days)
3. Go France for exchange (reputable university)
4. Go Dubai for internship

And I went to 5 different orientation camps in year 1.

#truestory
blittzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #245
thisislw

thisislw has a neutral reputation

From a very rational pov, "international prestige" can't be measured tangibly and neither can "internship opportunities", but statistically, NUS does have better overseas opportunities. Other than overseas academic trips, NUS Overseas Colleges, summer schools, dedicated foreign language programmes, (I'll stop, but you name it), NUS biz has over 400 overseas exchange places for its students per year (which we're all very thankful for!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewchun View Post
Hi.

IS IT TRUE?

thisislw is offline   Reply With Quote