BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Previous Cycles
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Hoping, nobody can stop you if you wanna give up your current scholarship. In fact, since you don't seem to be very interested in your organization and find the bond a burden, you might be doing your organization a favour by letting them cut their losses and award the scholarship to someone else who really wants it.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
dchan

dchan has a neutral reputation

oh, yupyup Swiffy, i forgot to thank you for answering my previous questions. Thank you!

yupp, just wondering, but for the panel interview in hong kong, were the academic questions prepared before the interview or made up on the spot?

Thanks!
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Swiffy

Swiffy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
oh, yupyup Swiffy, i forgot to thank you for answering my previous questions. Thank you!

yupp, just wondering, but for the panel interview in hong kong, were the academic questions prepared before the interview or made up on the spot?

Thanks!
Since I'm not one of the interviewers, I can't be sure : P but I think perhaps one or two of the interviewers (the college masters) may have jotted them down as they read my application or something. Most of the academic questions (which only came from 1 interviewer) were pertinent to the personal statement I submitted to Jardine. I got asked about trees (haha, everybody seems to think that biology is essentially that), so I was happy to talk about them. Coincidentally, that interviewer's grandfather co-authored the adhesion cohesion theory of water travelling up the xylem (which I found out earlier) I managed to ask him that and he got enthusiastic.

I think I was lucky though. I spoken to the other candidates, and the two engineer applicants got asked something really random like the link between radiology and engineering!
Swiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #24
dchan

yupp, thanks Swiffy!

oh, okays, they seem to draw most of their questions from the personal statement, guess i have to pay more attention to it then!

wow, that's really fortunate of you to learn that the interviewer's granddad wrote that. He must have been pretty proud of it. umm, did you happen to come over it by chance or did he mention it to you?

yupyup, thanks for replying all my quizzing questions so far! really nice of you to do so =] Good luck on your grades!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #25
Swiffy

Swiffy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
yupp, thanks Swiffy!

oh, okays, they seem to draw most of their questions from the personal statement, guess i have to pay more attention to it then!

wow, that's really fortunate of you to learn that the interviewer's granddad wrote that. He must have been pretty proud of it. umm, did you happen to come over it by chance or did he mention it to you?

yupyup, thanks for replying all my quizzing questions so far! really nice of you to do so =] Good luck on your grades!

Hi! no problem!
Thanks for the wishes
Haha, I think he was pleasantly surprised (I hope so!)
Oh, I was googling all of my interviewer's name, and his bio showed up on wikipedia. There was a link on his granddad's name so I clicked on it as well...
For the panel interview, they actually give you a list of names of people on it.
Swiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
ekyhdeveloper

ekyhdeveloper has a neutral reputation

I'm truly glad there are Singaporeans clinching this admirable scholarship; for me, I didn't meet the "selected colleges" requirement so it all ended prematurely. :P Great job.

That said though, hope to see you in ox/bridge in a few months (I presume?).
ekyhdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #27
dchan

yupyup, hope you do well!

wow, thats really nice of jardine to forward the names of the panel beforehand... i'm pretty sure the interviewer was pretty impressed too =]

yupyup, oh, umm, since the personal statement is so important, how did you decide on the content for your statement? as in, did you go for a more academic slant or a more community service type of slant on the statement?

yupp, thanks for answering all my questions so far! thankees!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #28
Hoping

Hoping has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
Hoping, nobody can stop you if you wanna give up your current scholarship. In fact, since you don't seem to be very interested in your organization and find the bond a burden, you might be doing your organization a favour by letting them cut their losses and award the scholarship to someone else who really wants it.
Well, Ive thought about it for some time and the truth is that I am interested the organization I've been awarded the scholarship for, and I am pretty sure they value me, that I will not despise my work at all, that I will be a good asset to them.

However, as to whether it's the best option for my career, I am still not fully certain, as of course, all scholarships with a bond are limiting in some way, and the main thing I am uncomfortable in is having to come back to SG after my studies. Which is why I would like to explore all options I have available to me first, especially since I have a place at Oriel, I think I stand at least a decent chance of Jardine.

May I know how to apply for the Jardine scholarship? Because the prospectus mentions that app. forms are available for The Secretaries which are all the way in HK...and then at Brightsparks it says the window is now closed. Will it open later in the year and when? Will it be quite rush to meet deadlines?

Thanks for anyone's help and thanks for understanding my situation.
Hoping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #29
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

From the Jardine Foundation website:
Quote:
Applications for the Jardine Foundation Scholarship Award 2011 will open in mid-August 2010. Application forms and further details will be available from 13th August 2010.
Yes, it is closed. Good luck!
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #30
Hoping

Hoping has a neutral reputation

Oh okay, thanks for the info and well wishes.
I'll only be going there in 2011, so I think I will have a shot at this!
Anyone can provide info on roughly how the application form looks like? If I'm not wrong I will require the principal of my jc to write something?

Thanks.
Hoping is offline   Reply With Quote