BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Engineering, Research & Science-Related
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #11
kemise89

kemise89 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin View Post
really? how you come to know that?
for forensic scientist, they accept 2nd upper hons and above and they only employ 1 to 2 a year. pretty shocking already
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

sparky, what did you choose in the end?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
no0b1

no0b1 has a neutral reputation
Default Chem vs Applied Chem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I'm interested in Chemistry but am torn between taking up NUS Chemistry, NUS Applied Chemistry and NTU Biological Chemistry? How would these threes courses lead to different careers in Chemistry?

May I know the difference between applied chem and just chem alone? What does the "applied" mean? Will there be any difference between the job scopes of the 2?
no0b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
ssx

ssx has a neutral reputation

Quote:
May I know the difference between applied chem and just chem alone?
Quote:
Applied Chemistry is a course offered by the Chemistry Department. It trains chemists. A chemist has skills in re-arranging atoms to form new molecules (chemical synthesis). In Applied Chemistry, we will never lose perspective that these new molecules have to be useful, and have to be prepared in larger volumes if they are to be an industrial product. Thus, students will be exposed to certain engineering problems related to the scale-up of a synthesis from the lab bench to the production plant. Analytical procedures (chemical analysis) will be discussed with a perspective to use them for process control and quality assurance.
-http://www.chemistry.nus.edu.sg/appliedchem/applchemfaq.htm

Think of it as chemistry dabbed with a little engineering. Correct me if I am wrong because this is what I've gathered from online resources.

Quote:
Will there be any difference between the job scopes of the 2?
Again, from the same link as above:
Quote:
There is no difference in the jobs you may take up after graduation. The exposure to the work in chemical industry during the Professional Placement does however give you a better idea about the scope of jobs available in the industry, and this extra experience will be of advantage in landing your first job.
It hints that applied chemistry gives you advantage if you intend to go into these industries instead of doing R&D.
ssx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

thanks ssx for providing the FAQ. It seems that applied chemistry does give you an advantage in practical applications. noob1 what career are you looking at?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
no0b1

no0b1 has a neutral reputation

I went to the website to check out the FAQ. It doesn't really state the difference between applied chem and chem. Rather, it was answering the difference between applied chem and chem engineering.. But thanks for the info! At least now I know the difference between applied chem and chem engineering

Quote:
It seems that applied chemistry does give you an advantage in practical applications. noob1 what career are you looking at?
Actually, the career that I intend to pursue accepts most fields of study (maybe). As I'm not really sure what I course I would like to study, I'm trying to gather information of the possible courses which may interest me so that I can see which ones suit me best
no0b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
chemistryboi

chemistryboi has a neutral reputation

i think ntu cbc's concentration in medicinal chemistry is the same as applied chem in nus right? cuz applied chem in nus also has a medicinal concentration or something like that.
chemistryboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
virgogal

virgogal has a neutral reputation
Default Chemistry Dilemma

I'm facing the same problem here.

If im interested in Chemistry, Should i go for Science- Chemistry OR Chemical Engineering?

Which has better career prospective?
virgogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
kemise89

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistryboi View Post
i think ntu cbc's concentration in medicinal chemistry is the same as applied chem in nus right? cuz applied chem in nus also has a medicinal concentration or something like that.
there are 3 concentrations to chose from, medicinal, food and green chemistry. you can choose not to have any concentrations as well
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
kemise89

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgogal View Post
I'm facing the same problem here.

If im interested in Chemistry, Should i go for Science- Chemistry OR Chemical Engineering?

Which has better career prospective?
Well, it alll depends on what you want to do in the future. If you want to work in the industry, such as shell and all the other oil industry, perhaps going to chemical engineering will be better. Personally I don't really like physics and all, that's why I chose CBC