BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
almuzzi

almuzzi has a neutral reputation

Hi junkai! For UM you basically apply via CommonApp, just like other schools. They look a lot at your SAT 1s (SAT subjects arent a requirement, but if yours are good then by all means include em), essays and teacher recommendations. Their Regular Decision is rolling, and the earlier you submit, the higher the chance of getting admitted so try applying as early as possible!

I applied to UM last year and got deferred and eventually rejected due to a dismal SAT score(which i took in sec 3 haha). I retook the SATs and got in this year. So to anyone who got deferred, have hope!
almuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
junkai23

junkai23 has a neutral reputation

thanks a lot! ok, i will apply early. Which month should I apply? By the way, what is a good SAT score I should aim for to get in?
junkai23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
almuzzi

Hey junkai sorry for the late reply. If you're really aiming for UM, id suggest applying early action in october(which is nonbinding, unlike early decision). As for regular decision, they close on 1st feb, so apply in Dec? As for SAT scores, do NOT take the average (or even the 75 percentile) SAT scores listed on their website as a benchmark. SAT scores for sg candidates are MUCH higher than the average applicant to any of the top us colleges. Given that each uni has a set quota for sporeans (if they didnt we would be flooding their intakes), you'd need a pretty high score to get in.

FYI, the college of engineering and Ross pre-admit are the hardest to get into. I scored 2270 (CR: 800, M: 800, W: 670) for SAT 1, and M II:760, Phy: 800 for my SAT IIs. I took them during my 2nd year of NS (and I'm in infantry so no time to study), hence the average scores. I'd suggest you take them ASAP, especially right after/before you a-levels so you don't forget anything. The tests are really easy, not much point studying for them as your a-level syllabus will have covered more than enough
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
hoseh1001

hoseh1001 has a neutral reputation

Hi, I recieved an offer from Michigan-Ann Arbor. Just want to know, how does it compare with University of Chicago in terms of pure science subjects? And is it hard to maintain a decent GPA? Thanks!
hoseh1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
junkai23

hi almuzzi, thanks a lot for your help. I am a poly student, will i still be able to do fine for sats?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
almuzzi

Well, it shouldnt be a challenge for you. Basic math and (not so basic)english. Just give it a try!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #17
junkai23

Sure, thanks! I hope I will do fine.. is it true that the more times u take your SAT, people's scores generally improved?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
almuzzi

@junkai, you can keep retaking the SATs, but I'd suggest not retaking too many times (>3x) as some colleges can see how many times you've taken the SATs.

@hoseh, I'm really not too sure about the comparison, most things I've heard about U-Chicago are about the economics major. The only 2 schoolmates I have studying there are both studying Econs. I don't think U-Chig is ranked higher than Mich for engineering but (again) I'm not too sure about pure sciences. Grats on getting accepted to U-Chig though, its a great school!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
Undercover

Undercover has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by almuzzi View Post
@junkai, you can keep retaking the SATs, but I'd suggest not retaking too many times (>3x) as some colleges can see how many times you've taken the SATs.

@hoseh, I'm really not too sure about the comparison, most things I've heard about U-Chicago are about the economics major. The only 2 schoolmates I have studying there are both studying Econs. I don't think U-Chig is ranked higher than Mich for engineering but (again) I'm not too sure about pure sciences. Grats on getting accepted to U-Chig though, its a great school!
In terms of ranking, UMich is a little lower than UChicago in all aspects, but still a good school.

In terms of selectivity and the perception in the eyes of Singaporean employers, UChicago is much better than UMich. I have many friends in school who got into UMich with a very average SAT score of about 2100+, and they accept quite a large number of applicants. UChicago admits v little Singaporeans, and the SAT score you will need is about 2300.

In terms of the experience, well you will definitely enjoy UMich! Many many many Singaporeans, who can make you feel at home. Of course, the downside is that your degree from UMich won't be too "Wow" in the eyes of Singaporean employers.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
shadyshark

shadyshark has a neutral reputation

Hi I'm taking the May sat, which is this saturday. I would like to ask for those who took the SAT alr, is ur name on the admission ticket identical to ur IC? Cos mine initially wasnt, it didnt hav my chi name, so when i emailed to the SAT board, they change it till it became weird...now its like chi name then eng name then surname

Do u guys think its acceptable? or shld i request to change agn? But if i request agn, I'm afraid it may complicate matters, like mayb the sch's list of names may not match my new ticket as its not up to date or smthg...

Im kinda worried, cos i dun wanna be kicked out of the exam room cos of ticket issues
shadyshark is offline   Reply With Quote