BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
tallyho

tallyho has a neutral reputation
Default Transferring to a US university

I'm currently enrolled in NUS as a freshman (just matriculated a couple of weeks ago), but I'm intending to make a transfer to a university in the US next year. I was wondering if this is possible - do American universities accept credit transfers from Singaporean universities? If so, which colleges accept this? What are the outcomes of transfer applications?

I've been trying to google for related help on the internet but I haven't really found much. Could anyone please advise? Thanks!
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
koo86

koo86 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
I'm currently enrolled in NUS as a freshman (just matriculated a couple of weeks ago), but I'm intending to make a transfer to a university in the US next year. I was wondering if this is possible - do American universities accept credit transfers from Singaporean universities? If so, which colleges accept this? What are the outcomes of transfer applications?

I've been trying to google for related help on the internet but I haven't really found much. Could anyone please advise? Thanks!

Yes you can do so. You will need to apply as a Transfer Student under the Common Application - fill up the required forms and essays.
Princeton and Yale don't accept transfer students. Harvard isn't taking in transfer students till 2011 due to their housing problems. The UC schools do not accept students outside of california - very very very anal about transfers.Almost every universities in the US accept international transfer, but u do need to check out the requirements needed. Some universities require SATs, some don't, some require Toefl test scores , some don't. You really have to zero in on the colleges u plan to transfer to and then read up on their transfer requirements. For example.. NYU has very tough transfer requirements to meet, you must have to take several pre-requisite courses before being admitted.

Even if a school is open to transfers, you must check whether the departments are opened for transfers. For example , I applied for Uni of Washington , but found out later that the particular dept i wanted to transfer to , wasn't opened for transfers for that particular year - I would have to wait till this october in order to apply.

Another thing, usually colleges are very anal about giving financial aid to international transfer students , so getting financial aid could be a problem

Transfer student outcome , it really depends. I applied as a transfer student and got accepted by Rensselaer Poly Institute and Rochester Institute of Technology, but got rejected by Carnegie Mellon and Babson college.

A fellow member - Cathleen got into MIT. So it really depends on the colleges. If there's space , it usually shouldn't be a problem getting accepted. For transfers , the colleges are usually more concerned about your results and will base their decision on whether you are a suitable candidate. I wouldn't say the essays are not important , but your uni results carry more weight.

There are 2 windows for transfers - Spring intake ( which starts in August and ends in November), the semester starts in January. Fall intake ( which starts in dec and ends in march) The semester starts in August/Sept.

Spring intake is usually less popular because most students do not have adequate credit to transfer. Fall is more popular because its after a year of study at the current institution and you are hoping to gain entry into the 2nd year of a US college.

The reason why international transfers can be very troublesome and tough its because of the difference in the education system. The Singapore Uni system is not a perfect match with the US system , and to have an exact course transfer over is not easy. Take in account , US colleges require liberal arts courses to be taken , our local institutions place less emphasis on it. Another example, my friend managed to get some credit transferred into his college, but only a few course credits can be used - if i'm not wrong, he got 52 credits transferred over ,but only 20 + credits are applicable.

Depends on the amount of credit , you can just have 2.5 - 3 years of study in the US.

i hope this helps

Last edited by koo86; 08-17-2009 at 01:42 AM.
koo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
tallyho

tallyho has a neutral reputation

thank you very much, it has helped a lot!
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
puddleofredwine

puddleofredwine has a neutral reputation

Hi, I am also considering transferring to a US university and your input has been so helpful! But I was wondering also, if it is possible to apply for local scholarships when they open next year (during my second semester as a freshman) THEN transfer overseas? Has it ever been done before? Thanks!
puddleofredwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

If you're looking for mid-term scholarships - they might allow it, though I'm not very sure. Best to ask the scholarship provider directly.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote