BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #21
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDeAs View Post
Yeah apparently the company was interested in the project he undertook involving AI...just goes to show they look more at your abilities and vision.
so good man, can skip all the interview, exams and directly be negotiating on compensation.
hmmm... I wonder... how the headhunters found out he did that project in AI? its published in IEEE? or win some big international competition.
Didn't list his resume in career sites and get headhunted is just amazing.

oh.. my idea of getting headhunted is, didn't post resume in career sites or applied for a job. yet company called U up offering a job, negotiating compensation, benefits, bonus to get U over. No interiews, no testing of knowledge. just base on what they know about u thru their own research.

Last edited by patryn33; 02-10-2009 at 09:39 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #22
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

He went through interviews and the whole nine yards. How was he found? The employer is a mate of one of his tutors.

Last edited by iDeAs; 02-11-2009 at 08:37 AM.
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #23
patryn33

woliao.. like that also can call headhunted.
i know a few ppl also "headhunted" to the valley.
2 in fact returned after their short stint, the $$ U making seemed alot by SG standards, after taxes and living expenses and stuff.. whats is left. SG is so much better.

so don't go thinking the valley is filled with gold for the picking!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #24
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
woliao.. like that also can call headhunted.
i know a few ppl also "headhunted" to the valley.
2 in fact returned after their short stint, the $$ U making seemed alot by SG standards, after taxes and living expenses and stuff.. whats is left. SG is so much better.

so don't go thinking the valley is filled with gold for the picking!
Why not? There is more than one way to headhunt and hearing from someone about a talented individual is one.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for the 2 guys. Its certainly not a place filled with gold but no offence, if SG is that much better, most of the talent will already be here, not there.

Last edited by iDeAs; 02-12-2009 at 08:54 AM.
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
patryn33

Having to go thru interview, in my books isn't truly "headhunted". I have met ppl getting calls with offer and be negotiating about compensation and sign on bonus. that is head hunted by my defination.

most the talented in engineering as there because SG R&D is a sunset industry! not because its better in USA. or those Scholar ppl are doing management not Engineering.

Some ppl just dislike SG culture that why they are there. if there are so many of us there, H1B1 VISA will get filled up in weeks loh. that quota never gets filled up. everyone knows the regular H1B VISA for higher edu from US gets filled up in about 3mths. those does not fall in this Category gets filled up in about a mth. if U say greencard.. Good lord! today without higher degree it takes like 4yrs see the end of the tunnel! and depending on what stage U are in, U still need to hold on to your H1B VISA.

If U know the tax situation, cost of living etc.. a US$70-90K annual salary is about avg in the valley (BTW: US not like SG have the 13mth thing, bonus is not written in most ppl contracts). in the dot.com boom days, u don't have to know how to code to be in the valley. I have seen music,history major going to the valley getting a brand new car for his sign on bonus. Today, long gone are these fat checks. Had met an American making US$90K in the valley, 3mth after he is laid off is penniless, gotta crawl back to live under his parent's basement.
new fresh grads that get hired into AMD and Intel in the CA region also get around $70K a yr. yes.. U do own a car ($$ paid from your pocket) might have stock options, from what I learnt from the dude making the comparison.. the cash in your bank account almost the same lah. if U decide to buy house, mortage interest rates in US is like 2X higher than SG.
had buddy 2yrs back got a 1200sq ft house in the valley, they paid over US$700K, that how cheap landed is.

if U are the super talented ones, the valley can be great. hack even google is axing talented ppl. But today even the valley is changing. Not always R&D.. moving towards Sales and Marketing. Alot of start up from India or what not are using that "connection" to sell and have their R&D done back home. the squeeze from Econ and gov, is making harder for ppl to stay. few coy is willing to apply for your greencard for the getgo. even for Intel/Motorola U need to hang in ther a yr or 2 b4 they wanna do so. they cost involve is just high. Not many company is willing to pay US$15k just like that.

Last edited by patryn33; 02-13-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
Michelle
BrightSparks Expert

Michelle has a neutral reputation

Just to contribute to this thread a little..

I spent 6 years working for IBM in the silicon valley. No, I was not headhunted, I applied for the job after i got my mba from indiana u and got it. It's an ebusiness strategist job btw. So you can get a job there even if you studied elsewhere.

Silicon valley firms do like to hire from Stanford and Berkeley, to a lesser extent UCLA (which is in LA, about 6 hours drive away). They also like to hired from "lesser known" schools like Santa Clara U and San Jose State U. There is a pretty tight alumni network for stanford and berkeley. But I know many of them also go to schools out of state that are famous. E.G. We have quite a lot of MIT, Harvard, CarnegieMellon, Mich, UPenn, Princeton, etc. The point is the valley does attract good people from all over and companies hire from other good schools, not just stanford/berkeley.

And to the original poster: Stanford is very hard to get in, especially the undergraduate programs. So yes, like everyone else, I would advise you cast your net much much wider. You still can land a job there later as long as you have a good education and if economic situation is advantageous.

As for H1b visas, I heard from friends there that it's harder and harder to get one now. But if you studied in the US, you can get a 1 year work visa after your education, where you will have to then convince your employer to get the H1b for you. It's not easy, need $$ and lawyers. As for the greencard, it's also quite a long wait. I waited for 5 years and gave up and came home. I have learnt quite a lot from my years there but I got to say, life in SG is pretty good too! Come to think of it, I was there when Yahoo, Ebay, Google just started, that itself was pretty exciting.

Btw, to survive in the bay area, you need to make at least US$60k, preferably more. e.g. I paid US$1350 a month for a 1 bedroom apt in Sunnyvale, a toyata corolla costs US$16k, utility bill is about US$150 a month. A no-fuss meal is abt US$10.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #27
patryn33

the cost of car has gone up a bit these days despite the bad Econ. a Toyota corolla is around US$18K b4 tax and fees. add those the cost might be US$20K. no $$ to pay up front a vehicle loan is at around 5-7% APY (SG around 2.5-3.5%, yes cost of car is cheaper in SG).

its alot harder to get H1B these days. audits isn't uncommon, gov does request info like email correspondence, company size, picture of work area etc.

regarding OPT, thats 1yr of "work VISA" U gotta apply for it b4 U graduate. that just extend your stay in USA to help U look for jobs. Do plan well, as your OPT might expire b4 the application for H1B starts. of course if U are singaporean U can always go for your H1B1 VISA 1st then move on to H1B VISA.

was reading last week Biz week. 1 couple age early 40s (1 office cleaner, the other janitor) in CA their combine salary is already at US$108K! they bought a $600K with a ARM loan (mortgage rate is at 7% and 12%) and today they can hardly make ends meet after 1 lost his job!

oh.. for those wanted to settle down, cost of sending your child to day care cost around US$1200-2000 a mth. so for a engineer to work in Sunnyvale that gets around US$90K. after tax U might only see around US$5.3K. adjust for insurance, and 401K perhaps $5K. paying rent U see US$3.6K left. if U got a house, primary loan payment can be as huge as US$3.6K amth (5% APR 30yrs loan for a tiny 1400sq ft home similar to the size of a 5 bedroom flat) if U do have a 2nd loan the interest is pretty high at 7-9% APR don't have is great but U gotta find around $80-100K to pay upfront; add annual property tax its another US$9K gone a yr, property insurance maybe another US$2K a yr. car insurance around US$100 a mth. don't forget in US, interest earned from savings is taxable income unlike SG. married combine earning does helps. then again, a couple making more than US$150K a yr don't enjoy alot of tax exemptions.
if U live in ulu place like Raleigh in NC and be making US$90k combine. U get to enjoy the tax benefits and enjoy a larger home and be paying less tax.

Last edited by patryn33; 02-18-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #28
Nerdyboi

Nerdyboi has a neutral reputation
Default Just Asking

Hi, just want to ask something. Well I am a polytechnic graduate see, i want apply for medicine at NUS, but i guess it would be very competitive for polytechnic graduates.

SO, i was wondering if i took SAT I and II on top of my Diploma, that would be an added advantage right? But are there places that test for SAT II in Singapore? Are SAT very difficult? I have seen sample questions on college board website, and i am handle them, is that mean i am ok with SAT?

Sorry for loads of questions, but I guess SAT could be my second chance at Medicine or even overseas studies.
Nerdyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #29
NX-01

NX-01 has a neutral reputation

No, you no need to take SAT1 and SAT2. Those are more for foreign students or Singaporeans who fail their O lvl English (They could take SAT1 in place of O lvl English). Yes, there are a lot of places that test for SAT2 in Singapore. Just go to the Collegeboard website to check. "I have seen sample questions on college board website, and i am handle them, is that mean i am ok with SAT?" - Most Singaporeans typically do extremely well (as in scoring perfect) on the SAT2 cos its easy.

Last edited by NX-01; 12-29-2009 at 10:15 AM.
NX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #30
NX-01

NX-01 has a neutral reputation
Default SAT vs ACT scores

Hi guys, I took both the SAT1 and ACT with writing (I was a bit kiasu) and send both scores to US universities. However, I did horribly on the SAT (1890/2400) but superbly on the ACT (33/36 which is equivalent to a 2220/2400 on the SAT according to the ACT website). My qn is whether this would put me to a disadvantage to say another applicant who just sent in only 1 good SAT1 or ACT scores. Would they 'look down' on me because I score poorly on the SAT? Thanks
NX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote