BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
ermokay

ermokay has a neutral reputation
Default How to apply

Hello everyone. I have a burning question that may sound stupidly simple to most here. haha. So please don't mind me asking..

How do I apply to US universities?

What I know is that I have to take SAT I and II and download their application form from the individual university's website. But many of the application forms are cryptic. They require a lot of stuff that seem to be related to the US high school system only. And what if I have already graduated from junior college? I have to go back to school to find my teachers to do my write-up and recommendations? What if they have already left?

Thanks for any help and explanations.
________
Vapir One Review

Last edited by ermokay; 02-15-2011 at 03:54 PM.
ermokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
koo86

koo86 has a neutral reputation
Default Hey

Well u can apply to most universities using the Common Application. However, some public universities like Washington, Illinois Urbana Champaign and Georgia Tech just to name a few requires you to apply through their websites and yes , the school forms are a must !!! hope it helps !
koo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

It's better to ask whatever stupid questions you have, look like a fool but be less of a fool, than to keep quiet and eventually become a fool The US university application process is notoriously long, tedious and complicated, so you're probably not alone! I myself have been through the entire application process (more than once!) and I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to go through this again. I have been pretty successful in my applications, so I sure hope I can help you with yours!

Yes, you definitely have to take the SAT I, now known as the SAT Reasoning Test. SAT IIs, or SAT Subject Tests, are also required for the top schools I assume that you're aiming for. Most schools require 2 SAT IIs; some extremely selective ones like Princeton and Harvard require 3. In theory, you're allowed to choose any 2 or 3 SAT IIs you like, but from our experience, my friends and I would recommend that you take at least the Math 2 subject test, which should be a piece of cake for a JC student like you - provided that you did your homework! There is no minimum score or a "good" score; what matters is that your score is good enough for the schools you're applying to.

Most colleges use the Common Application nowadays, which, as the name suggests, allows you to apply to many colleges with one common application form. You therefore won't have to download forms from every college's website. However, some schools like Brown, Columbia and MIT don't use the CommonApp, so you have to go to their websites to apply. Some colleges let you use either the CommonApp or their own application forms. These schools pledge to make no distinction between the two kinds of forms and to show no bias towards either form, so you don't have to worry. You only need to choose the form that suits you better when it comes to stuff like essay questions.

If your JC has many applicants to the US, they should be quite knowledgeable about filling the cryptic US-based portions of the forms, so do ask your JC's career or education office. Alternatively, you could ask questions here and we could try to help.

No problem if you've already graduated from JC, as long as you manage to get and submit all the required stuff. Ask your teachers for recommendation letters early and give them the teacher forms early so that they'll have enough time to write for you. Depending on how well you plan your trips and applications, you may have to make a number of trips back to your JC, so if you're in NS, say byebye to many days of leave. If they've already left, just find a way to contact them and to give them the forms to fill up. Make a note in your application to say that your teacher has left the school; colleges will understand. Try to get those former teachers to write on your JC's letterhead, though that's not a must.

Finally, if you haven't already begun on your applications, then you're already behind time. The essays will entail countless sleepless nights and undue amounts of stress. The SATs will take studying. There're many envelopes to be addressed and stamped, and forms to pass to your teachers and reminders to send them. Each application would cost around S$120. But it'll be well worth it when you are accepted to your dream college
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
賢狼ほろ

賢狼ほろ has a neutral reputation

Should you take the SAT Subject Tests in J1 or J2?

And what about AP tests, do they offer them in Singapore?
賢狼ほろ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 賢狼ほろ View Post
Should you take the SAT Subject Tests in J1 or J2?

And what about AP tests, do they offer them in Singapore?
Just take them when you feel like you're the most ready. That's what commercially available practice tests are for
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
azsxdc

azsxdc has a neutral reputation

hi guys,
what about TOEFL?? is it necessary for S'pore students?
azsxdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
yingzhen

yingzhen has a neutral reputation

In general TOEFL isnt really necessary...

AP tests are offered in a few schools. Like I know of a few RJC and HC students who take it privately, not sure where. SAS students take it too...
yingzhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
azsxdc

azsxdc has a neutral reputation

oh i see. thanks. hmmm i have another query about applying through the Early Decision. Do you guys feel that it really improves your chances in getting admitted?
azsxdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
yingzhen

yingzhen has a neutral reputation

I kind of believe so, but then again most people who apply ED are people who are of high calibre (enough to try for such unis without needing their As) so in that sense it's not surprising that more people are accepted. Higher level of competition...
yingzhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
cogito

cogito has a neutral reputation

rj offers AP every year to J2 students. quite a number of people take the AP, but the cost of taking is high and to a large extent it requires you to be really sure of what you want to do with those APs eventually.

you can always check out universities that you're interested in and follow up on their admissions sites. it is usually very helpful with regards to application details (:

all the best!
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote