BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #21
appple

appple has a neutral reputation

hmmm...i know there are pple who are unsure abt smu intitally but grew to like the environment. but my cousin also has friends who transferred to ntu/nus after a year bcos they didn't like the culture of having to do a lot of independent study.

maybe you could talk to seniors from smu to know about their experience? personally, i think that their style of teaching is good training for the workplace. i guess wherever you go, just be open to whatever opportunities that the uni has to offer, and it will help you to grow
appple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
ScK

ScK has a neutral reputation

hw abt mechanical engineering??? =p
ScK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #23
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by estee View Post
i m reali knid of worried that i m not as outspoken a person to shine in SMU. all the talk abt SMU being the place where students are more of a go-getter and focus more on speaking up in class.
All the more such people should go to SMU! Challenge yourself. Don't stay in your comfort zone. It's the only way to learn.

Though, of course, there is this argument about building up on your comparative advantage instead of your disadvantage, but your inadequacies would likely catch up with you later even as you pursue careers that draw on youyr strengths.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
orthoptics

orthoptics has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by appple View Post
hmmm...i know there are pple who are unsure abt smu intitally but grew to like the environment.
then again there are those pple who were sure abt smu initially but grew to dislike the environment:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2155828
http://allquirknoplay.wordpress.com/...s-own-success/
http://popagandhi.com/636/end-of-an-era/
http://popagandhi.com/480/dear-smu/
http://iminta.com/intas/show/303288

Quote:
A little bird told me an internal survey of SMU students found that 30% regret going to SMU Which caused panic, & a dialog
orthoptics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
Alex

Alex has a neutral reputation

This is very cheeky. Please pardon me.

I read that SMU won the STB best marketing awards. NUS won the best service awards.

So it seems to say SMU over-sells, and NUS over-delivers?
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #26
yonanz

yonanz has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEOJ0015 View Post
Hi...

When I was at your age, I was seriously considering whether to choose SMU or NTU. When I finally chose NTU, I realise what's more important is the skills and knowledge that you are going to learn and it is not so much of the branding of the school. What I would tell my juniors is that university life is to have fun, make lots of friends and enjoy what you are going to study.

When I was in JC, I always thought that SMU is the hippest and most happening place to be. But university life is how you want it to be. You have to go the extra mile such as joining freshmen orientation camps, CCAs and be in a student leadership position to experience the vibrancy university life can bring.

Don't ever choose a school just because of the branding or how the newspapers brand the school... Do research and make your own perceptions. Of course, do ask as many people as possible if you have ANY questions.

All the best!

very well said. the school is only as good as we want it to be.
yonanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 AM   #27
spencer

spencer has a neutral reputation

Stick with well-capitalised school with big international name, and that points to NUS.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #28
Alex

Alex has a neutral reputation

I have a cheeky observation.

Perceptions of local Unis seem to be:
Conservative, Boring, Bureaucratic, Stifling.

These words seem to coreespond exactly with those used to describe Singapore's civil service.

Except that, our civil service (which I hold in high regrads), is lead, headed and staffed largely by Overseas Scholars!

So strange isn't it? That overseas education produces the exact same feeling as that of local education? And here we are saying how overseas education is much more fun...
________
Henry ford centennial library

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #29
vitalism

vitalism has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to vitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonwguitar View Post
so what do you really mean by the "difference"? what is so diff between the teaching styles in the 3 schools? i see that nus is more research-based, ntu has less traditional subjects but focuses more on tech. how about smu?

can some one elaborate on the teaching styles too?
SMU supposedly adopts a US-style liberal arts education modeled after UPenn's Wharton (the top undergrad business school!), so there are supposedly more emphasis on project work, presentations and class participation. However, my friends there have also said that all these are crap and many students there are unmotivated and only do the minimum to pass/graduate.

And oh, I've heard lots of complaints about the NUS and NTU foreign lecturers ><
vitalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #30
vitalism

vitalism has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to vitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I have a cheeky observation.

Perceptions of local Unis seem to be:
Conservative, Boring, Bureaucratic, Stifling.

These words seem to coreespond exactly with those used to describe Singapore's civil service.

Except that, our civil service (which I hold in high regrads), is lead, headed and staffed largely by Overseas Scholars!

So strange isn't it? That overseas education produces the exact same feeling as that of local education? And here we are saying how overseas education is much more fun...
well, due to the stringent GPA/grade requirements, most overseas scholars spend most of their time mugging in their hostels instead of having fun outside and making the most of their overseas education. Of course i'm making a very grave -and possibly misleading- generalization, but that's the impression i get of our overseas scholars who return with a foreign degree but not an enhanced perspective ><
vitalism is offline   Reply With Quote