BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Canada
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReadG View Post
Oh and btw, what program are you planning on taking up? I wanna economics which is another reason to go to UBC cuz their economics program seems really prestigious. And how much will the school fees be? From UBC's website its about 15k canadian for 1 year right?
15K??? was that 2009 or 2008 fees?
2010 fees is at a cool CAD$21,118 for 30 credits. taking more credits would naturally increase this number. bear in that exclude housing, books, and student fees. add fees and insurance thats a ~2k more.
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/adding.ezc

So any update on your end? applied to Uni.
UBC is 1 of the more expensive Uni in Canada. thats why many choose colleges as they cost CAD$10K in tuition a yr. thats save them ~CAD$20K in fees.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Yuan=D

Yuan=D has a neutral reputation
Default is UBC really that bad?

I'm just wondering whether UBC is that bad... cos I was really fascinated by its pretty campus. anyways, how's University of Toronto compared to UBC? Is it much more difficult to get into UoT?
Also, may i have a general idea of how good to score to get into those universities?
Thanks=D
Yuan=D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
boucy

boucy has a neutral reputation

UBC bad? where did you get that notion?
they are one of the better business sch in canada
boucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuan=D View Post
I'm just wondering whether UBC is that bad... cos I was really fascinated by its pretty campus. anyways, how's University of Toronto compared to UBC? Is it much more difficult to get into UoT?
Also, may i have a general idea of how good to score to get into those universities?
why is UBC that bad? U heard it from your pals at NJC?
which program are U seeking?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #15
ahboy91

ahboy91 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuan=D View Post
Is it much more difficult to get into UoT?
Depends on the course you are seeking, the admission stats can vary quite a bit. UofT is the top university in most aspects. I suggest that you crash this fair to obtain the more accurate, first-hand information.
ahboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #16
patryn33

UofT is more renown here.
Math and Comp Sci - Waterloo is better.
Mcgill is like UofT, fairly good overall.

isn't that event held by students?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
ahboy91

Yes it is held by students. Who's better to answer your inquiries, than the students attending the respective universities themselves?

Waterloo has a good reputation, but only in Canada. It lacks in international ranking, which is one very important factor when deciding to pursue your degree overseas. Queen's university is really good too, but then again it lacks in rankings too.

Your best bang for bucks should be one of the big 3: UBC, Mcgill & UofT.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahboy91 View Post
Yes it is held by students. Who's better to answer your inquiries, than the students attending the respective universities themselves?

Waterloo has a good reputation, but only in Canada. It lacks in international ranking, which is one very important factor when deciding to pursue your degree overseas. Queen's university is really good too, but then again it lacks in rankings too.

Your best bang for bucks should be one of the big 3: UBC, Mcgill & UofT.
I hope student can give a clear pic of the admission stats.

which International ranking are U referring to?
is ranking that impt? U are working already? when U hire someone U double check ranking?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #19
ahboy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
which International ranking are U referring to?
is ranking that impt? U are working already? when U hire someone U double check ranking?
No, I have not started on my working life, per se, but that does not mean that I am not informed of it. Since you popped the question, I believe you have started working? Care to share how much of the academic knowledge you receive from a university education, will actually be put into use during your working life?

When I say international ranking, I don't literally mean the QS or the THE rankings or any other accredited ones out there, since these rankings vary from year to year and it would be almost impossible for employers to keep up. But the least you should expect from having an international education, is that your university should at least be known by the employers.

To cite an example, Mr. Philip Yeo, Chairman of SPRING Singapore and Special Adviser for Economic Development in the Prime Minister's office, has himself received an education from University of Toronto before heading off to pursue higher education in other reputable universities too.

Should you decide to apply for post-graduate studies in prestigious US schools after receiving an education from UBC, Mcgill or UofT, you can be assured that these schools have had a notable reputation.

Last edited by patryn33; 07-30-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Yuan=D

Yuan=D has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
why is UBC that bad? U heard it from your pals at NJC?
which program are U seeking?
Umm, I am actually looking at life science or engineering courses... well, i know UBC ranks lower than UofT, but i really don't fancy the weather there in Toronto. so I am actually quite frustrated about whether I should apply to both schools or just apply to UBC.

In addition, my common test result is not that good, so I also want to know how good I should perform for the prelim to be more confident to apply to these schools. Anybody who got offer from these schools don't mind sharing your results?
Yuan=D is offline   Reply With Quote