BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SUTD
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Jinkai

Jinkai has a neutral reputation

@frozenheart

They call them "pillars of study". There are four:
  • Architecture and Sustainable Design (ASD)
  • Engineering Product Development (EPD)
  • Information Systems Technology and Design (ISTD)
  • Engineering Systems and Design (ESD)

@mashimaro

The earliest/first batch will only enroll in May 2012. And yes, some might have to take a so called gap year. That's actually what I'd have to do.

Sincerely, Jinkai
Jinkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
agenda

agenda has a neutral reputation

Will be applying for SU next year, how many here have been offered scholarship?
agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
seeweiren

seeweiren has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggermaniac View Post
one of the SUTD's objectives is to accommodate and allow more poly grads (specifically in design/tech) to further their studies locally.

but you are right too. perhaps, couple of years down the road, this uni could become the next "SMU", and give the other unis a run for their money.
That's SIT i guess not SUTD.
seeweiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #14
muggermaniac

muggermaniac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweiren View Post
That's SIT i guess not SUTD.
my bad. take back my words

i got mixed up between both institutions. there's so much going on with our education system
muggermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
Azizl

Azizl has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkai View Post
@frozenheart

They call them "pillars of study". There are four:
  • Architecture and Sustainable Design (ASD)
  • Engineering Product Development (EPD)
  • Information Systems Technology and Design (ISTD)
  • Engineering Systems and Design (ESD)

@mashimaro

The earliest/first batch will only enroll in May 2012. And yes, some might have to take a so called gap year. That's actually what I'd have to do.

Sincerely, Jinkai

I see. So do we have to choose one of these 4 pillars or we have to study in all of them?

By the way, I've visited their websites but I am not sure what the cuurriculum is like n what courses are there. E.g, B. Sc in engineering or whatsoever.

Can someone shed some light to me? Thanks
Azizl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Azizl

Azizl has a neutral reputation

Hi, i've gotten a place in NUS Architecture but will only start my course in 2011 after completing NS.

Basically, I have a strong interest in design, art and innovation. But as to exactly what type of design do I really want to spend my life doing, I am still not sure.

Before there was SUTD back then, I felt that NUS Archi was the most suitable course for me. But after being introduced by my friend about SUTD, I do have thoughts of applying for SUTD next year in 2011. This is in addition to finding out about the life of a registered building architect, which is not really what I wanted.

I shan't talk explicitly regarding architecture as it would be off topic.

Some things i like about SUTD is the integration of design, engineering and even marketing throughout the whole project which is probably what a product needs, to be successfully made and eventually be brought to the global market to be sold and used worldwide.

This course trains us not only to be designers or engineers but even entrepreneurs, i suppose. Furthermore, the collaboration with the MIT and the Zhejiang university is another attractive factor. (I would really love to go for an exchange program there)

However, I do have some burning questions. For a new university, no one would know its outcome but really, while the education SUTD provide seems very promising and prepares students well,
1) what would be our future career prospects? Engineer? just like another engineering graduate from NUS/NTU?
2) can an SUTD graduate who took architecture eventually be recognised as a registered architect under the Board of Architects?
(in NUS, one has to go though 4 years of B.A.Arch and 1 year of M.Arch and then work for 2 years before taking that test to be registered as a qualified architect under BoA)

Thanks!
Azizl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
Jinkai

@Azizl

Students will study general science and math modules for the first 1.5 years, after which they choose 1 pillar. The syllabus isn't shown because it isn't finalised yet. From what they say during the tea sessions though, it will be based heavily on the MIT curriculum, with changes made where applicable for this design-centric (amongst other goals) university.

For hints on future career prospects, you might want to take a look at the companies that are cited as offering internships to SUTD students.

As for your other questions, I think the best way to get them answered is to go for the publicity events SUTD organises! There will be 1/2/3? more admission cycles, so go and take a look, it won't hurt

Sincerely, Jinkai
Old 05-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #18
cherlj

cherlj has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkai View Post
@frozenheart
Yup, to be exact school will start on 23 April 2012 for the first batch.

@Azizl

Hi! I was offered both NUS architecture and a place in SUTD too.

To answer your first question, graduates from SUTD will not be limited to their respective fields of study. The school is currently working to provide opportunities for local and international internships to prepare students for work in various industries (such as aerospace, biomedical/healthcare, consumer electronics, digital media, environment, manufacturing, buildings/structures etc).

Various establishments such as Microsoft, IBM, DBS, DSTA, Keppel, ST Engineering, Far East Organisation etc have already signed on for the internship programmes. More will be added to the list, and there is the potential to provide full-time employment upon graduation.

About your second question, SUTD offers a Master of Architecture with a major in Sustainable Design. Students with get a B.Arch in 8 semesters and the M.Arch in 10 semesters. On the other hand, they may choose to leave SUTD after 8 semesters to pursue their M.Arch elsewhere. The best part is that the SUTD degree will be accredited by both the Board of Architecture of Singapore and the National Architectural Accrediting Board of USA!

The main difference between NUS Archi and SUTD is that the curriculum is interdisciplinary with a focus on sustainable design. The curriculum will not just be limited to archi but also be interdisciplinary, infused with other courses in the humanities, arts, social sciences and business/management. In other words, graduates will better prepared for the industry and will be exposed to a wider array of possible career tracks.

Hope I managed to clarify your doubts!
cherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
smash

smash has a neutral reputation

Hi all! I hv also been accepted into SUTD but hv yet to confirmed via the online confirmation process. I would like to know if anyone has received the SUTD scholarship alrdy cos apparently, I only got the letter of offer. It would definitely be much better with a scholarship in hand. If we didnt manage to get it, is there another round of interview or anything whereby we can apply for it?
smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Jinkai

@smash

The scholarship should have came with the letter of offer.

Regards, Jinkai