BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SUTD
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #21
smash

smash has a neutral reputation

@ Jinkai

Oh i see! That means I wont get the scholarship ((((( Do u know of any ways to apply for it again? If not, I might hv to go for other scholarships then. Im going for MOE teaching scholarship, but hv anyone any idea if getting a SUTD engineering or architect degree can get u into a teaching career?

1 more wk left to decide!
smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

In general (from experience) - I have had Physics teachers who studied engineering at a uni level. So yes, I do know that you can go into teaching with an engineering degree. I'm not too sure about architecture though. Good luck!
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
Helfin

Helfin has a neutral reputation

SUTD Facts and Figures:
Vacancies avilable : 500
Scholarships available : 100
Applicants : 650+
Offered : 120
Accepted : 80

Sounds like they purposely delayed intake to 2012 because they are not getting enough good applicants. I wonder if there will be people question SUTD why they are not admitting up to 500 students when they have 500 vacancies? Playing the "it is not easy to get in and we are damn good" game with the rest of the Universities? Not that I disagree, but the way the newspaper wrote it, the truth really is not as pretty.
Helfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Haecceity

They are hoping that there will be more applicants for 2011 and 2012 (e.g. girls will only apply then). They have to leave space for those applying only in 2011 and 2012! Also, they delayed the opening before they opened applications, if I recall correctly. Also, what newspaper article are you referring to?
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #25
Jinkai

Jinkai has a neutral reputation

@Helfin

What truth are you referring to? Not quite sure I get it from your post.
Jinkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #26
Helfin

There were 2 news reports. 1 in Straits Times and 1 in Zaobao. Both said SUTD is very successful. I might agree with trying to be successful, but the numbers really don't look that good.

@Haecceity, they postphoned it to 2012 before admissions probably because they researched the data from all 3 local Unis and found themselves in bad competitive disadvantage?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
Haecceity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helfin View Post
@Haecceity, they postphoned it to 2012 before admissions probably because they researched the data from all 3 local Unis and found themselves in bad competitive disadvantage?
And how would postphoning it significantly help their case? It would give them more time to market, yes, but the fact remains that they are a new school, and it will be their first batch: something that no amount of marketing can cover up.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #28
Helfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haecceity View Post
And how would postphoning it significantly help their case? It would give them more time to market, yes, but the fact remains that they are a new school, and it will be their first batch: something that no amount of marketing can cover up.
If the 3 universities now offer 80-90% (?) of current A levels, then SUTD will find it hard to get top students for all vacancies. So the best strategy will then be to postphone opening and let more marketing sink in while easing pressure on the tough fight in the market?

By the way I am not saying this is wrong. I am just guessing the strategy.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #29
Haecceity

I agree with your point; it is a possibility. And also: SUTD opens in April, which is different from the other three unis opening in August. This already differentiates it from the other unis. Whether it is effective though... we'll only know in 2012.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #30
Jinkai

Jinkai has a neutral reputation

As someone enrolling in 2012, I think that if its "success" is to be based on filling the quota of 500 regardless of the quality of the students chosen, then I would rather it be "unsuccessful".

Quote:
So the best strategy will then be to postphone opening and let more marketing sink...
OR they may be using the extra time to prepare the necessary manpower and facilities required to run a university...

Healthy skepticism is good, but please give a little thought before doing any second guessing...

PS: I believe one marketing reason for having matriculation in April 2012 is that they could simultaneously attract and admit students who would have matriculated into other local universities in July 2011/2012.
Thereby, perhaps, doubling the number of pioneer applicants.
Jinkai is offline   Reply With Quote