BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Canada
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Ethanlou

Ethanlou has a neutral reputation
Default Sending Transcripts to Canadian Universities

Hey guys, I have a burning question I need answered.

When I send transcripts, is it okay if I just send my A, O level certificates and school leaving certificates and testimonials or do I need to send my report cards and etc also?

And what about PSLE and Primary school? Do they care about that shit?

Up til now, I have never really given much thought to studying overseas and have sort of misplaced stuff that I deemed trivial such as my report cards and stuff.

So, if they require that, I'm kind of screwed.

I also called the Canadian admissions office, but was given nothing conclusive.

So, please help.

And also, on an unrelated note, Canadian universities are seen to be more meritocratic and will look solely at grades. Is that kind of true?
Ethanlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
mortpenguin

Hi Ethanlou,

You don't need to send report cards, just final grades like your 'A's and 'O's as you mentioned.

As for Canadian universities, I'm not sure about their system as I don't have friends there. You are referring to the admissions process right? I think as long as your grades are decent, getting into Canadian universities should be relatively easier than in the US.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

which Canadian Uni are you applying?
U don't need PSLE just As and Os.

depending on the Uni you applying to. Some are not that easy.
easy or not can be really relative too.

mortpenguin when U state relatively easier are U comparing to ivy or MIT/Stanford???
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
joelfooxj

joelfooxj has a neutral reputation

Hey, I'm also applying to canadian universities, Ryerson and UoT. Applying through the OUAC is a bit weird though? Is anyone here familiar with the application process?

For example, I did A-levels last year, so should be 4th march come out, but the submission deadline is 1 march for all applicants, so how? Also, how about extra-curricular stuff like recommendation letters, activities, awards, etc.?

Might be planning to fly down to toronto just to clear things up and take a good look at the uni's after CNY.
joelfooxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
mortpenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
mortpenguin when U state relatively easier are U comparing to ivy or MIT/Stanford???
My bad I didn't say clearly, yes I was referring to the top US colleges as their entrance requirements are really very strict. Competition at these colleges are also much tougher compared to Canada, as I assume more people would prefer to apply to the US. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfooxj View Post
For example, I did A-levels last year, so should be 4th march come out, but the submission deadline is 1 march for all applicants, so how? Also, how about extra-curricular stuff like recommendation letters, activities, awards, etc.?
Hi joel, in that case I believe you will have no choice but to submit your Prelim results first, together with the other supporting documents? Perhaps you would want to contact the Dean of Admissions to ask if you could submit the 'A' Level results to them once they are released? They should be understanding on that part.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
joelfooxj

joelfooxj has a neutral reputation

I've asked admissions office for UoT and they've told me that you submit your application via OUAC and UoT should respond with an email detailing the documents you have to present.
joelfooxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
confusedboy

confusedboy has a neutral reputation
Default sorry to budge in

hey guys sorry to budge in like this but any one has got any experience with university of western Ontario?
confusedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
ahboy91

ahboy91 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedboy View Post
hey guys sorry to budge in like this but any one has got any experience with university of western Ontario?
Hope this is not too late. For Western Ontario (UWO), you also use the OUAC system (similar to UofT) to apply. UWO will then send you a list of information which they require from you.
ahboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpenguin View Post
My bad I didn't say clearly, yes I was referring to the top US colleges as their entrance requirements are really very strict. Competition at these colleges are also much tougher compared to Canada, as I assume more people would prefer to apply to the US. Correct me if I'm wrong.
true, as these top Uni are generally need blind to international students too, unlike Canadian uni.

anyway its comparing apples to oranges. ppl can compare OZ Uni to US top Uni too. different league different set of requirements.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedboy View Post
what do you mean by experience? As in studied there and graduated?
I doubt U will find many easily.

UWO is not popular in SG, ppl go there thru NUS for exchange. each yr maybe U find 1-2 exchange students from SG.