BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
May i ask what is CV? Is it resume?
CV = Curriculum vitae.

It looks like a resume, and it should contain all your achievements and stuff that you participated in. Basically, everything you have in your portfolio, so that the viewer can have an overview, and it will be easy for the interviewers (if any) to ask you questions if they find anything interesting or intriguing on your CV.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
meow

meow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
CV = Curriculum vitae.

It looks like a resume, and it should contain all your achievements and stuff that you participated in. Basically, everything you have in your portfolio, so that the viewer can have an overview, and it will be easy for the interviewers (if any) to ask you questions if they find anything interesting or intriguing on your CV.
So, is there a need to put in ur work experience on top of ur achievements?
is there a word limit?
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
zucchini

zucchini has a neutral reputation

i look at the application form of DA, and it seems to be very difficult to be considered for DA if u are just trying yr luck for DA with slightly above average cca results like me. hope this help u guys too.

SMU: pretty simple
write a 300 word essay on yr most important highlights and acheivements be it awards, competitions or cip or watever u feel significant

NTU:
must have at least 1 referee or recommendation by others
section A: write about yr acheivements
section B:
Please choose an essay topic (choose only 1 option). There is no standard writing style nor a right or wrong answer.
a. Share an event or incident you have encountered personally and why and/or how it has affected you or is especially meaningful to you.
b. Describe a person who has had an influence on you, and share with us why and/or how the person has influenced you.

NUS:
section A: state up to 3 acheivemnts and put their respective referree contact no. and name there and they will call them to ask about you
section B:
This section is an opportunity for you to elaborate on the information you have provided earlier. You may discuss a special talent, a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved in that is relevant to the course you are applying for admission. As your essay is limited to only 2000 characters, do present your ideas in a focused and thoughtful manner.

after thinking about it, DA may not be that easy after all cos my cca was just average. i only did the smu one. the others needed referees. i would just try appealing in instead. :/

Last edited by zucchini; 03-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.
zucchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
minky123

minky123 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
I do believe you should include whatever supporting documents that you think will best substantiate your application: evidence of your non-academic achievements, CCA records, testimonials, referral letters etc. From what I have gathered, a CV is not necessary although it might help facilitate the process of evaluating you as a person.
Hi, i am considering to apply through DA and i have asked my teacher to help me write a referral letter. However, i am not sure if she should give it to me in the soft-copy or hard-copy format. Which would be easier and how to show that the referral letter is indeed written by my teacher, like is there a need to include my teacher's contact info for verification purposes? Also, is the referral letter part of the DA application form, or is it just a separate attachment?

Thanks in advance.
minky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
walker

walker has a neutral reputation

might I ask exactly what kind of achievements would be actually be considered for DA?
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
ee123

ee123 has a neutral reputation

Can achievement is Pri, Sec and JC be used in DA? or it just limits to achievements in JC and Sec only? Are achievements in pri useful in DA?
ee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #17
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by minky123 View Post
Hi, i am considering to apply through DA and i have asked my teacher to help me write a referral letter. However, i am not sure if she should give it to me in the soft-copy or hard-copy format. Which would be easier and how to show that the referral letter is indeed written by my teacher, like is there a need to include my teacher's contact info for verification purposes? Also, is the referral letter part of the DA application form, or is it just a separate attachment?

Thanks in advance.
Well, there are two ways you could ensure that the university would be able to verify your letter (assuming if it is to be uploaded through the online portal)

1) Scan the hard copy with the signature on the letter
2) Provide contact details in the letter, preferably at the end when signing off or in the last paragraph.

Soft-copy might be more convenient if the referral letter can be uploaded (like NTU) but I would personally go with a scanned hard copy with a signature bearing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee123
Can achievement is Pri, Sec and JC be used in DA? or it just limits to achievements in JC and Sec only? Are achievements in pri useful in DA?
You can use achievements in Primary School but it is very unlikely that they will be substantial.

Quote:
might I ask exactly what kind of achievements would be actually be considered for DA?
The three universities have their own set of qualification criteria when evaluating DA cases and it is really difficult to list all the possible qualities they are looking out for. Achievements like competition medals, olympiads, leadership positions and national/school representation are often used for DA however.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Forum viewers and users should be aware that there is a need to process and extract relevant information from posts objectively especially when opinions are involved.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
whizzer

whizzer has a neutral reputation

Hi all,

What do you exactly write for your DA? Do you write about your passion for your first choice of university course? Can you write for your passion for your 2nd/3rd/subsequent choices? Or do you write only about your CCA achievements/leadership positions/CIP?

Also, do you write it in point form or full prose?

Someone please help! I have no idea what to write for my DA :S Thank you very much in advance!!
whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
nurree

nurree has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
Hi all,

What do you exactly write for your DA? Do you write about your passion for your first choice of university course? Can you write for your passion for your 2nd/3rd/subsequent choices? Or do you write only about your CCA achievements/leadership positions/CIP?

Also, do you write it in point form or full prose?

Someone please help! I have no idea what to write for my DA :S Thank you very much in advance!!
i'm facing the same problem here for NUS, one would need to write something relevant (achievements/contributions) to choice of course. but i don't have any. all i have is community service, leadership positions, achievements in cca. so how?
nurree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #20
yennybenny

yennybenny has a neutral reputation
Default Submission of Supporting Documents

Hi!

I applied for DA and on the admission application checklist, item number 11 says "Copy of any Employment History, Personal Statement & Two Referee Reports (if applicable)".

My acknowledgement page says that i have to submit "Documentation of any Discretionary Admissions".

So I'm very confused. Do I have to submit my personal statement and 2 referee reports?

Also, my first choice is dentistry. For my DA, i wrote about my dental internship and leadership. Should my 2 referee reports be both on dental, or 1 on dental and 1 on leadership? (If i have to send in 2 referee reports that is)

Thanks alot!
yennybenny is offline   Reply With Quote