BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #241
ultrateh

ultrateh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentan View Post
I think that is not true. I've asked CSD and they say you can buy your laptop outside. For the 2013 scholars, you can actually buy your laptop now, you just need to keep the receipt and claim it from CSD. This is from what I have heard from two separate occasions from the CSD people.

It is recommended that you buy from school notebook vendors though, because they give discounts. If you are looking for very popular notebooks such as the Macbook, you will be better off getting it from school notebook vendors.

I am unsure what the notebook grant covers, but it should cover your notebook (including upgrades to the storage/ram), but not external accessories (carrying case, mouse, etc). It will be best if you give CSD a call and ask .

I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for IT Fair, more haswell-powered laptops will be available then and it will push down the prices of older generation laptops as well.
Ah my bad. For IS students it is recommended to buy from the school since you will require a different specification for your laptop as compared to other schools. The grant does cover external accessories if they are an addon option for your laptop unless they change the rule this year.
ultrateh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #242
rapid350

rapid350 has a neutral reputation

May I know which year would the scholarship be offered for the guys? in the year of application or the year of admission?
rapid350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #243
coconut

coconut has a neutral reputation

If I'm supposed to start schooling in 2015 (nsf), am I supposed to matriculate in October 2014 to be eligible for any early scholarship interviews in 2015 (it was mentioned earlier on in the thread that there is an interview in February for nsmen)?

any nsmen matriculating in 2015 but is still awaiting a scholarship interview/ offer?
coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #244
tiredeyes

tiredeyes has a neutral reputation

Hey just wanted to ask, is there anyone who's gotten an offer from the smusp (smu scholars' programme) for 2016/17??
tiredeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #245
mysteriousoracle

mysteriousoracle has a neutral reputation
Smile Re: Tiredeyes

Hi! I have received the smu scholar's programme offer for SIS but i might not accept as i heard SMU is really competitive and I really want NUS instead
mysteriousoracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:45 PM   #246
tiredeyes

tiredeyes has a neutral reputation

I see! Thank you! All the best for your NUS apps :-)
tiredeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #247
ultrateh

ultrateh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousoracle View Post
Hi! I have received the smu scholar's programme offer for SIS but i might not accept as i heard SMU is really competitive and I really want NUS instead
That is really weird to hear... we effectively have no bell curve due to the nature of our IS modules and how the students generally perform. If you had spoken to any seniors who have went through the program... they will probably tell you otherwise. There will be a small handful at the top of the grade spectrum having gpa near or above 4 but not enough to prevent others from getting the As or summa cum laude they deserve if that is the competition you are refering to. I can't say the same for other schools in SMU though. Still, all the best at NUS.

-SIS graduate
ultrateh is offline   Reply With Quote