BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
timlee

timlee has a neutral reputation
Default SMU Academic Issues

Hi Guys!

I really want to know more about SMU and I really hope someone can share their experiences and insights

1) How difficult it is to get A+/A grade in SMU ? What is the grade that people normally get?

2) How many people in the School of Econs actually get magna and summa cum laude every year?

3) Have you had any difficult bidding for the modules that you want on BOSS?

4) Where do you get academic help if you do not understand what you are studying?

Last edited by timlee; 04-14-2015 at 12:28 PM.
timlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ has a neutral reputation

1) Depends on the module. I have only taken 10 modules so far. The office releases the % of students who were awarded an A range grade (A-/A/A+) but not the exact sub-grade.

The lowest % of A- and above I have seen is 23.99 while the highest % of A- and above I have seen is 34%. 34% is abnormally high. I think the reason for that subject having such a high distinction rate is because SMU intends to discontinue that module, so they pushed up everyone's grades so that there will be lesser repeats. A+ rate ranges from 0-10%, usually awarded to the top 5%.

I would guess that A/A+ is awarded to around the top 12% (on avg)? I do not have exact figures. Looking at the bell curve for my 10 modules the average A-/A/A+ rate is typically around 28%. This might be lower for year 2/3/4 modules.

The typical grade depends on the module. The median student should get a B-/B/B+.

2) No idea but cum laude (3.4) is less than half. Magna (3.6) and above will be even lesser.

3) No but my friends had some. Seldom a big issue. You will seldom have problems getting the module you want, just maybe taught by a different professor or an unfavourable time slot.

4) Professors/teaching assistants/friends. Make friends with everyone.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
timlee

timlee has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ View Post
1) Depends on the module. I have only taken 10 modules so far. The office releases the % of students who were awarded an A range grade (A-/A/A+) but not the exact sub-grade.

The lowest % of A- and above I have seen is 23.99 while the highest % of A- and above I have seen is 34%. 34% is abnormally high. I think the reason for that subject having such a high distinction rate is because SMU intends to discontinue that module, so they pushed up everyone's grades so that there will be lesser repeats. A+ rate ranges from 0-10%, usually awarded to the top 5%.

I would guess that A/A+ is awarded to around the top 12% (on avg)? I do not have exact figures. Looking at the bell curve for my 10 modules the average A-/A/A+ rate is typically around 28%. This might be lower for year 2/3/4 modules.

The typical grade depends on the module. The median student should get a B-/B/B+.

2) No idea but cum laude (3.4) is less than half. Magna (3.6) and above will be even lesser.

3) No but my friends had some. Seldom a big issue. You will seldom have problems getting the module you want, just maybe taught by a different professor or an unfavourable time slot.

4) Professors/teaching assistants/friends. Make friends with everyone.
Hey! Thank you so much for sharing I was really hoping someone could share some of their academic experiences in SMU but there wasn't any reply for the past few weeks until now.. really appreciate it btw, are you from School of Economics or other schools?
timlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Hey! Thank you so much for sharing I was really hoping someone could share some of their academic experiences in SMU but there wasn't any reply for the past few weeks until now.. really appreciate it btw, are you from School of Economics or other schools?
No problem! =)

Most Econs mods are heavy on written tests and exams due to their technical nature. Expect a lot of maths. If you love maths, SMU Econs is the best place to study Econs locally.

I am from the School of Accountancy.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is offline   Reply With Quote