BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #21
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Dhoby Ghaut will be your nearest MRT from School of Law. There's a bus stop right outside the building, just take a bus one or two stops down and you'll reach Dhoby Ghaut
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #22
honeyrider

honeyrider has a neutral reputation

I am down for law interview this Thurs, and looking at the other posts, it seems that I am not the only one who is not exactly interested in SMU.

Can I confirm with you guys on the format of the interview? I.e. would it be a group interview or are there essays to write etc? I was told to bring a pen.
honeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #23
DreamsDreams

DreamsDreams has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
From what I read about, the SMU law interview is still a group interview (group of 3-4). There is also a written essay component prior to that; the questions in the essay are mostly related to your course of preference (in this case law).

I.E What do you feel about this particular law in Singapore, What are the qualities needed for a judge etc.
Second post of this thread.
DreamsDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #24
DreamsDreams

Hmm. Maybe second post was talking about SMU interview for other schools? I don't see why they'd ask us to bring a pen if we're not doing any writing, though.

Haha. I guess they want us to make our points clearly and not talk (write?) around the bush and waste precious time.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #25
insouciant

insouciant has a neutral reputation

hey, the guy who called me told me that

1. the interview (which includes the 'writing exercise' *yes this is the name he mentioned :/) will last for around 1hr30mins (but he is not certain);

2. then he warned me abt the dress code, saying that it is the 'LAW' sch, so better be formal :/

that's abt all he's gonna say. LOL, i keep asking weird qns, and he was very uncertain of wat to say, end up telling me 'hmm, info not given', 'im not too sure'....

so at least we know we have to be on the right kind of attd, and be mentally prepared to WRITE sth? haha

ALL THE BEST PEOPLE!

P.S: my senior said it's good to know sth abt SMU Law Sch, skim thru ur newspprs, bring your guts AND you brain, & you'll be fine!
insouciant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #26
guynextdoor

guynextdoor has a neutral reputation

Hey all, I thought it might be of some benefit if i divulged my smu law interview that took place this morning, so that you guys will be pipped for any shocks coming your way!

There's a 15 min test prior to the interview, and you might be thrilled or anxious to know that you'll be taking with a good 15 people or so. The essay questions are in the vein of GP, and deal primary with law. If it sounds daunting, don't let it paralyze you because most of them revolve around your personal opinions.

Everyone will be divided into groups of three each and sent to various rooms for the magnanimous interview! I don't know how the other interviews went, but if mine can be used as a gauge, your performance really depends on the fellow applicants you end up with, because the kind of questions depend on their (and your) answers.

That said, the topics they skimmed on were extremely random and volatile. I had the luck (or lack of) to be with a top-notch student who knew her stuff and had the resume to prove it, so the conversation often took on an edge when they began to peruse for your opinion on certain ongoing legal suits. Although I bombed (and i mean BOMBED) at this part, I'm highly doubtful if all of the interviewers utilize such conversation starters. Mine was really spontaneous.

The thing that they are most definitely going to ask you about is your cca or the like because they'll have your personal statement in front of them. If there's one thing I wish I could have improved on is not to have been so trivial about my cca, why you did this, elaborate it, etc. If there's anything you should be confident about through and through, it should be your past journeys and where they'll be taking you.

You might engage in light banter, depending on your interviewer. (:

All in all, it was a wholly unpredictable experience which was perhaps meant to catch you off guard anyway. Don't be afraid to speak out, but more importantly, don't be afraid to defend it when it comes down to it. If you've made a mistake, you're always free to correct yourself without the nag of guilt.

OH and don't ascribe to formalities to the point of restricting yourself! My slot was full of applicants decked out in business wear complete with suits and court shoes. I hope none of you go into the interview with the prospect of selling yourself ala a job interview because it'll not only affect you but the others around you. Share what you've learnt, and what you're hoping to learn, and your sincerity will elevate your performance.
guynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
DreamsDreams

... Wow. Thanks very much guynextdoor, Souc and Lock (sorry Lock, missed your post earlier :c). guy especially for the recount of your interview. (: I guess it's time to check out the new feeds on all those legal websites.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #28
red_shadow2

red_shadow2 has a neutral reputation

omg they asked about your cca stuff????i left that part blank in the online application coz i was too lazy to fill them up and coz i thought it was something like EIS. omg !!>!!!!?!?!! im screwed la. i dont wana go smu but i dont wana go to the interview and get grilled as well -.-

Last edited by red_shadow2; 04-06-2009 at 03:16 PM.
red_shadow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
flowersarepink

flowersarepink has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by insouciant View Post
wow, it's good that you two got the same slot. i'm trying t find someone who got the same slot as me, 9th apr 9.45am. :/ anw im not really interested in SMU too lol. but im really into law. haha, but i doubt nus wants me. i barely made thru smu's 10th percentile only.
hey i think my slot is right after yours. 1030am on thursday 9th april. im not that keen on smu law either! waiting for nus law to call me back.
flowersarepink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #30
nightingale

nightingale has a neutral reputation
Default Smu law interview

I have not got any call for SMU Law interview, my application was submitted on 24 March. My grades are AABB, GP A , PW A, what is my chance of getting shortlisted
nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote