BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
shootingstar18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 264
shootingstar18 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairknight View Post
You will have to ask SMU Admissions team for other considerations. They are helpful and quick in responses.

Both NUS GLP and SMU are full time courses. Both programmes are open to applications from different groups.
Hey I've email-ed them but to no avail, I am still waiting for their reply.
shootingstar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
kma21st
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
kma21st has a neutral reputation
Default

Hey guys, I applied for the J.D. and im scheduled for an interview this coming sat (27th March) at 11.15 am.

anyone else going for the same interview?

Last edited by kma21st; 03-22-2010 at 07:09 PM.
kma21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #23
woodsun
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
woodsun has a neutral reputation
Default

Hey! My interview is scheduled for the 3rd of April. Being an overseas applicant, I've been given the choice of a face-to-face or a phone interview. Any idea of how to weigh the merits and de-merits of these?
woodsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
shootingstar18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 264
shootingstar18 has a neutral reputation
Default

For those who applied and are shortlisted, anyone did not meet the academic requirements? I.e at least a second upper honours degree.
shootingstar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #25
kma21st
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
kma21st has a neutral reputation
Default

@shootingstar

i didnt get cum laude honors but my GPA was in the range so i suppose it depends on how you look at it. Technically, I didnt meet the degree requirements but on the other hand, my GPA is of a sufficient standard.

Im sure the essays and reference letters play an important role as well.

Last edited by kma21st; 03-23-2010 at 11:17 AM.
kma21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
jameslee58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
jameslee58 has a neutral reputation
Default

personally, i think reference play more important role, if you can get someone in legal field / senior managers to prove that you are relevant, logically, you have a better shot i.e. head of M&A dept of investment bank

if i'm the one who assess the application, i would, at least look at who referred you first, then i will look at your essay to know more about you,

also i forgot to mention, someone asked about if LLB graduate able to do JD during Q&A, one of the professor did respond by saying, the purpose of the programme is to attract non law graduate from other fields ( if this discourage anyone, nevertheless, he did say LLB graduate may apply )
jameslee58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #27
shootingstar18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 264
shootingstar18 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslee58 View Post
personally, i think reference play more important role, if you can get someone in legal field / senior managers to prove that you are relevant, logically, you have a better shot i.e. head of M&A dept of investment bank

if i'm the one who assess the application, i would, at least look at who referred you first, then i will look at your essay to know more about you,

also i forgot to mention, someone asked about if LLB graduate able to do JD during Q&A, one of the professor did respond by saying, the purpose of the programme is to attract non law graduate from other fields ( if this discourage anyone, nevertheless, he did say LLB graduate may apply )
Yes, that is what the NUS GLP is all about. They are giving chances to those non law graduates. However, i'm sure SMU has the knowledge that some LLB students who are unable to practise in Sg, yearns very much to be able to. Thus, giving them this chance.
shootingstar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #28
shootingstar18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 264
shootingstar18 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma21st View Post
@shootingstar

i didnt get cum laude honors but my GPA was in the range so i suppose it depends on how you look at it. Technically, I didnt meet the degree requirements but on the other hand, my GPA is of a sufficient standard.

Im sure the essays and reference letters play an important role as well.
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering, what university did you graduated from? Local u? And although my degree does not classify itself with regards to GPA, may i know what is the range for the GPA to be shortlisted? Thank you
shootingstar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #29
kma21st
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
kma21st has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingstar18 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering, what university did you graduated from? Local u? And although my degree does not classify itself with regards to GPA, may i know what is the range for the GPA to be shortlisted? Thank you

Nope not local Uni. uni from thailand. family moved to bangkok when i was 6 so i grew up there. As for the GPA, you can't compare cos of the different standards imposed by the different unis. some more lenient while others more stringent. may i know your grades? are they like really bad so that's why you seem kinda stressed abt your application?

i went for the info session and there's a guy who did the uol external LLB and he's currently a student in the J.D. programme. dont know abt his grades though.

my advice to you is to just relax and send in your application next year. it's futile to stress over it now since the application window has closed.

btw, anyone on this thread other than woodsun got called up for the interview this sat? fairknight? rohmstephanie? what's the status of ur application? im kinda stressing over the interview. haha.

Last edited by kma21st; 03-24-2010 at 05:11 PM.
kma21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
shootingstar18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 264
shootingstar18 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma21st View Post
Nope not local Uni. uni from thailand. family moved to bangkok when i was 6 so i grew up there. As for the GPA, you can't compare cos of the different standards imposed by the different unis. some more lenient while others more stringent. may i know your grades? are they like really bad so that's why you seem kinda stressed abt your application?

i went for the info session and there's a guy who did the uol external LLB and he's currently a student in the J.D. programme. dont know abt his grades though.

my advice to you is to just relax and send in your application next year. it's futile to stress over it now since the application window has closed.

btw, anyone on this thread other than woodsun got called up for the interview this sat? fairknight? rohmstephanie? what's the status of ur application? im kinda stressing over the interview. haha.
As mentioned, i'm still pursuing my LLB and i'm in my second year. The second and last year are important as they count towards the classification of honours. Thus, super stressed. Haha.
shootingstar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.