BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
sss

sss has a neutral reputation
Default what about social sciences

Hi, what about the social science faculties in SMU and NUS? Is there a basis of comparison? I know that FASS is definitely more established but would it be a big difference? The social science degree program in SMU seems to offer only 3 disciplines (psychology, sociology, political science) according to the website so is this an indication of the lack of variety/choices? I am aware as well, that SMU is primarily a business/economics-focused U, and I am wondering if it is fair of me to dismiss it with regards to social sciences.
sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
sparky

sparky has a neutral reputation
Default SMU double degrees?

hi
I'm a little confused about the double degrees that SMU offers.
Let say if I intend to take up Law & Accountancy, how much would the school fees? Would I pay for the tuition fees for Law or Accountancy in this case?
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
orientails

orientails has a neutral reputation

Is there anyone out there who can provide a detailed breakdown of the difference between the modules/course/teaching mtds etc between NUS and SMU for Humanities and social sciences????
orientails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
darkraven

darkraven has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
hi
I'm a little confused about the double degrees that SMU offers.
Let say if I intend to take up Law & Accountancy, how much would the school fees? Would I pay for the tuition fees for Law or Accountancy in this case?
Double degree students will pay fees for only one degree - whichever higher. Currently, fees are higher for the Law program.

The exact fees due will depend on the year you accepted the SMU offer (not year of enrollment) and be locked on for the entire degree program.

Up to date fees information can be access here - http://www.smu.edu.sg/financial/fees/index.asp

Hope this helps.
darkraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
darkraven

darkraven has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientails View Post
Is there anyone out there who can provide a detailed breakdown of the difference between the modules/course/teaching mtds etc between NUS and SMU for Humanities and social sciences????
I'm not sufficiently informed with regards the NUS Arts faculty program to comment on specific differences like number of courses to graduate, complusory courses for each program etc.

As a business management school, however, a lot of SMU programs have a business aspect to it. If you enroll in our School of Social Sciences, you should expect to frequently approach your discipline from the angle of a business or as if dealing with another business.

On top of that, across all programs, SMU also has university core courses that are business related - Leadership & Team Building, Business Communications, Creative Thinking & Analytical Skills etc.

At the same time, I believe NUS will be able to offer you a wider range (and depth) of topics within Humanities and Social Sciences in the Arts faculty. Since SMU does not offer Humanities or any other Arts programs as a core discipline, you should expect less variety of Arts courses in SMU than NUS.

Last edited by darkraven; 03-15-2008 at 03:51 PM.
darkraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
sunshinemint

sunshinemint has a neutral reputation

I am currently waiting to enter a local university, and i am pretty torn between sociology at SMU and FASS at NUS. The school environment in SMU seems vibrant and exciting, but the legacy and reputation and choices available at NUS is also just as good. I am unsure of my future, and i really have no idea how to go about making my choices. Any suggestions?
sunshinemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation

talk to your seniors who are in each of the courses in SMU and NUS. If they know you well than all the better. I think from there you will be able to see where fits you better. Both uni have their unique styles.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:35 AM   #18
orthoptics

orthoptics has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientails View Post
http://www.socsc.smu.edu.sg/bsocsc/s...ce/courses.asp
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/docs/under...dular_2007.pdf
orthoptics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
sunshinemint

sunshinemint has a neutral reputation

their flow charts and courses to study get quite complex. had a hard time trying to absorb everything on the link for fass.WHOA.
sunshinemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #20
estee

estee has a neutral reputation

is the emphasis on the speaking up and giving feedback in SMU reali that huge??
i am so afraid i cant cope with that kind of environment but unfortunately SMU is the onli that gave mi my 1st choice. can someone do horribly wrong by jus not speaking up enuff???
estee is offline   Reply With Quote