BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #21
Cookie

Cookie has a neutral reputation

Universities admitted: Imperial College (Chemical Engineering with a year abroad)
Universities rejected: Oxford (Engineering, Economics and Management)
School: Not in bukit timah either
A-level: PCME GP PW AAAAAA HMT (B3)
SAT II:2400

any fellow course mates here ?
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
hubertj

hubertj has a neutral reputation

Universities offered: ANU (Bachelor of Commerce) , UNSW (Bachelor of Comp Engineering)
University rejected : NUS & NTU
School: Polytechnic ( Dip in BIT )
GPA : 2.94 / 4.00

My GPA is not very good...i am trying to apply to UK unis such as manchester, sheffield , birrmingham, warwick and newcastle...do you guys think i will be able to get in any of it?? oh by the way i am applying for either business and computing or information technology mgmt for business...

Thanks for opinions and comments
hubertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
pokerface

pokerface has a neutral reputation

Universities admitted: ANU (International Relations), University of Melbourne
(Arts), Monash (Law)

Universities rejected: University of Melbourne (Commerce)

School: Not in bukit timah either

A-level: ABB ABC
pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
nixeij

nixeij has a neutral reputation
Default Help.

Can I ask if overseas interviews are necessary? I mean, going all the way for an interview.. sounds a little, too much? Because I have never heard of such things since I thought submitting grades, testimonials and essays through online application is enough.

And what if really cannot make it for the interview all the way in the foreign land? Application DENIED? T_T
nixeij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
rui

rui has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixeij View Post
Can I ask if overseas interviews are necessary? I mean, going all the way for an interview.. sounds a little, too much? Because I have never heard of such things since I thought submitting grades, testimonials and essays through online application is enough.

And what if really cannot make it for the interview all the way in the foreign land? Application DENIED? T_T
If you're referring to Oxbridge interviews, they conduct them here in Singapore. What other schools are you referring to?
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK
rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #26
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui View Post
If you're referring to Oxbridge interviews, they conduct them here in Singapore. What other schools are you referring to?
Oxford is not Skype interviewing this year.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #27
Introverted.

Introverted. has a neutral reputation

^
i think they are, i just visited RJC(or RI, rather) 2 weeks back and there was a sign pointing people to the oxford skype interviews.
Introverted. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #28
nixeij

nixeij has a neutral reputation

Thanks for replying! But I was referring to HKU, nothing too ambitious I hope. :/ Anyway I thought that the interview was not compulsory because they didn't say it was and the idea seemed too much to me? So I said I couldn't go because I'm in Singapore.

Then they reply and said, We are sorry that you have given up your application.

OMFG. CAN I REVERT THIS SITUATION. T_T PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE.
nixeij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #29
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixeij View Post
Thanks for replying! But I was referring to HKU, nothing too ambitious I hope. :/ Anyway I thought that the interview was not compulsory because they didn't say it was and the idea seemed too much to me? So I said I couldn't go because I'm in Singapore.
SIN-HK flight is only a few hours and not so expensive if you take a budget airline. If you can't even do that for an interview, it just shows you are not that interested anyway. If I'm the admissions committee, I would dump your application too.

Once you step into the working world, you'll find out that there are many things which are obligatory, but no one would explicitly tell you it is compulsory. Please learn to get out of this singapore mind-set where everything is spelled out clearly for you.

Last edited by PureFitness; 12-17-2011 at 10:34 AM.
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #30
liyuan

liyuan has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureFitness View Post
SIN-HK flight is only a few hours and not so expensive if you take a budget airline. If you can't even do that for an interview, it just shows you are not that interested anyway. If I'm the admissions committee, I would dump your application too.

Once you step into the working world, you'll find out that there are many things which are obligatory, but no one would explicitly tell you it is compulsory. Please learn to get out of this singapore mind-set where everything is spelled out clearly for you.
I know this thread is from 2011 but I can't help but feel annoyed by purefitness's post.

To begin, for most of us a 2 way plane ticket, upward of a few hundred dollars is costly, even from a budget airline and keep in mind that an interview is only a gateway to admissions. Depending on the university, it may not be worth it to fly over when you have only a 20% chance of being admitted (and very often, only the very competitive universities conduct interviews so it is understandable that admission rates are low when they require interviews). I don't see how the inability to pay reflects any amount of insincerity on the part of the applicant.

As far as I know, at most reputable universities they have a variety of ways to solve this issue for overseas applicants. Sometimes they interview students locally in big cities and sometimes they simply conduct the interview via skype. Sometimes they even waive the interview for some applicants and judge the applicant through their essays.

I felt offended because I can imagine being in the shoes of the applicant and it would be difficult if I genuinely wanted to go to the university and couldnt afford to fly over for an interview. I think that the working world is ultimately different from the world of a student. Where an adult can afford to spend a few hundred dollars to secure a lucratively paying job, a student can't.

Last edited by liyuan; 02-16-2014 at 07:11 PM.
liyuan is offline   Reply With Quote