BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
Alexender

Alexender has a neutral reputation

Hi,

Sam you could apply thru UCAS: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/. Do note that some UK med Unis require UKCAT test to be taken.

All the best!
Alexender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
hot_cool_gal123

hot_cool_gal123 has a neutral reputation

how to obtain a loan?
hot_cool_gal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #23
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_cool_gal123 View Post
how to obtain a loan?
I think this has been asked many times. You can obtain a loan from one of the banks here, but from what I understand, it is likely that there is a limit on how much money you can borrow. I think Citibank offers such a loan, you can do a Google search or check their website for more details.

What I say is reflective my own opinion, not that of the BrightSparks Administration nor that of other moderators. Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Local Moderator - Overseas: US
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
sam

sam has a neutral reputation
Default Medical School in Malaysia

Hi!

Has anyone heard of this private medical school in malaysia? Its called IMU and i am considering going in to study med. Please advice! Thanks!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #25
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Hi!

Has anyone heard of this private medical school in malaysia? Its called IMU and i am considering going in to study med. Please advice! Thanks!
Why Malaysia?

Also, is the degree they give recognised? Because a quick search turns this up, and I don't see IMU on that list.

(Honestly, I don't recommend Malaysia at all.)
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
Catalyst

Catalyst has a neutral reputation

afaik imu teaches the theoretical part of med and sends its students to overseas universities to complete the last 2 years of clinical medicine. which school u get sent to is based on merit. the mbbs is awarded by the med school u end up doing your clinical years in.

sam: why not try for monash malaysia campus? Heard they award the same mbbs as monash in aus, not 100% sure, maybe check with idp or other agent.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
afaik imu teaches the theoretical part of med and sends its students to overseas universities to complete the last 2 years of clinical medicine. which school u get sent to is based on merit. the mbbs is awarded by the med school u end up doing your clinical years in.

sam: why not try for monash malaysia campus? Heard they award the same mbbs as monash in aus, not 100% sure, maybe check with idp or other agent.
http://www.smc.gov.sg/html/1153709452985.html

look at the footnote, "# Medical degree obtained via a 'twinning programme' would be considered only if the clinical training years are completed in the country where the Scheduled medical school or university is sited."

so Monash malaysia is not recognised by SMC. neither is newcastle upon tyne malaysia campus.
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 AM   #28
sam

Hello

Thank you so much for replying me For IMU, I will be doing 2.5 years in Malaysia. After that, I will continue my medical degree at one of their partner med schools (such as leeds, manchester, dundee from UK or they have adelaide, western australia, tasmania from aussie etc.) for my remaining 2/3 years and my degree will be accredited by the partner med university. That's what draws me to go to IMU. I have checked out Monash Campus in Malaysia. Their med deg will not likely be recognised by SG cos its pretty new, unless of course I get the med deg from their Aussie campus.

I am kind of undecided now whether to go to IMU or stay in NUS (doing life sciences year 1) because I really want medicine, but I kind of get quite alot of skepticism due to the fact that IMU is based in Malaysia Please advice!

Thanks guys for offering me tips and advices !
Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
Catalyst

Catalyst has a neutral reputation

isaac thanks for the info, always useful to know although i'm not considering studying med in malaysia

sam i hope you read what isaac posted above regarding the accreditation of twinning programs. you might want to check with imu and smc regarding imu for further clarification.

I assume u have tried applying for aus/uk unis using your a levels right?

another option u can consider is finishing your undergrad degree and applying for grad medical courses offered by australian unis. imo entry requirements for graduate medicine in aus is relatively less stringent than undergrad courses. but that might change as most aus unis are switching or have switched to graduate medicine which takes 4 years to complete e.g. melb uni, usyd, uq, anu, flinders etc.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #30
sam

Hi

I have tried to apply for aussie unis but not the uk ones as i missed out their 2010 intake and have to wait for another year for 2011 entry. i have rly considered taking the grad path, but many told me that it may be equally tough as getting into undergrad med (or even tougher?). since malaysia has such a good deal, i was thinking if i should try out? yeah.. i checked out and found out that going to IMU and then to their partner med sch after that, will enable me to come back to sg to work. that's cos for the final 3 years of the twinning prg, i will be going to their partner school for my studies.

thank you so much for the advice!

Tags
australia, cost, medicine, overseas, undergraduate