BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #121
kpa

kpa has a neutral reputation

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think SIS has got a very stringent acceptance criteria. I did flunk the entire interview :/ (Not being negative here) It was a total flop. No connection whatsoever with the interviewer, showed no passion and my estimation question... let's not even go there. Was prepared to not gain acceptance but I did get in. Since your interview went rather smoothly I think there's a high chance you'll get accepted. All the best!
kpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #122
Wagatsubasa

Wagatsubasa has a neutral reputation

Hi all, have a few questions to any seniors who are kind enough to answer me.

1.)I have recently received an invitation to this 'SIS Tea Reception' thingy. I wonder what is the purpose of this event? Will it be a waste of time if I have already decided on accepting the SIS admission offer?

2.)As above, I have accepted the SIS admission offer, and my application status on the ISIS has been changed to Prematriculant. However, I don't see any instructions for how to proceed from this point onward, and while clicking around in the ISIS, saw a S$203 fee listed as 'Confirmation Fee for Undergraduate'. The admission letter also mentioned a medical checkup.

Will I receive any additional mail/email from SMU with instructions on how to proceed, once the acceptance window is over? Or do I need to pay this 'Confirmation Fee for Undergraduate' first before anything is processed?

3.)I read that Poly students with relevant diplomas can be exempted from a number of modules, but there's some tests involved. How does this process work?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Wagatsubasa; 04-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Wagatsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #123
ultrateh

ultrateh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagatsubasa View Post
Hi all, have a few questions to any seniors who are kind enough to answer me.

1.)I have recently received an invitation to this 'SIS Tea Reception' thingy. I wonder what is the purpose of this event? Will it be a waste of time if I have already decided on accepting the SIS admission offer?

2.)As above, I have accepted the SIS admission offer, and my application status on the ISIS has been changed to Prematriculant. However, I don't see any instructions for how to proceed from this point onward, and while clicking around in the ISIS, saw a S$203 fee listed as 'Confirmation Fee for Undergraduate'. The admission letter also mentioned a medical checkup.

Will I receive any additional mail/email from SMU with instructions on how to proceed, once the acceptance window is over? Or do I need to pay this 'Confirmation Fee for Undergraduate' first before anything is processed?

3.)I read that Poly students with relevant diplomas can be exempted from a number of modules, but there's some tests involved. How does this process work?

Thank you in advance!
Question 1:
The tea session will be the time where you get to find out even more about the course and also if your parents have any questions, the faculty would be there to answer them.

Question 2:
http://matriculation.smu.edu.sg/singaporean/

Follow the steps. You won't go wrong.

Question 3:
If you have a diploma with merit you will be exempted from 2 GE modules otherwise 1. Depending on your level of maths standard, you may be exempted from calculus. Other exemptions include java and database.
Refer to https://wiki.smu.edu.sg/sis/IS200 to check if your diploma grants you exemption from IS200 which is basic java foundation. If you are not exempted you may wish to take the exemption test if you are already experienced in Java. There is also academic writing exemption and test but that is only for JC students.
ultrateh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #124
Wagatsubasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrateh View Post
Question 1:
The tea session will be the time where you get to find out even more about the course and also if your parents have any questions, the faculty would be there to answer them.

Question 2:
http://matriculation.smu.edu.sg/singaporean/

Follow the steps. You won't go wrong.

Question 3:
If you have a diploma with merit you will be exempted from 2 GE modules otherwise 1. Depending on your level of maths standard, you may be exempted from calculus. Other exemptions include java and database.
Refer to https://wiki.smu.edu.sg/sis/IS200 to check if your diploma grants you exemption from IS200 which is basic java foundation. If you are not exempted you may wish to take the exemption test if you are already experienced in Java. There is also academic writing exemption and test but that is only for JC students.
Thank you so much for the quick answer!

Regarding Q3, any idea what is the exemption criteria for database and calculus? I have taken multiple database related modules in poly, as well as multiple Computing Maths modules, with results all as A or Distinction. Will the exemption for these be automatically applied along with IS200? From Matriculation 2012 site's "Exemption Criteria" page, it only states "Depends on specific poly course(s) & results"...
Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #125
ultrateh

Quote:
Thank you so much for the quick answer!

Regarding Q3, any idea what is the exemption criteria for database and calculus? I have taken multiple database related modules in poly, as well as multiple Computing Maths modules, with results all as A or Distinction. Will the exemption for these be automatically applied along with IS200? From Matriculation 2012 site's "Exemption Criteria" page, it only states "Depends on specific poly course(s) & results"...
They don't give auto exemptions for database. You will need to apply for a test in a couple of months time if you wish to be exempted. For calculus it is subjective, I can't really judge if you will be exempted. I had 2 As for both my computing math and I was exempted.

The database modules here are no joke in terms of difficulty level. Poly's difficulty is a joke lol. Average score for SQL lab test was 4/15 last year.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #126
Reddy

Reddy has a neutral reputation
Default Interview for IS

I went through the interview last 2 weeks and decided to comment about it for others.

First we (5 pax) was brought to a room to fill up papers and submit relevant documents. Papers like "Describe you being responsible", etc which can be found in the SMU page on what kind of characteristics they are finding in students.

We were then asked to design a webpage (you do not need to have knowledge) just testing on creativity and ability to describe during the interview.

Interview has 3 phase.
1: Presenting your design which was done previously

2: They will ask a hypothesis question (1 /16 question)
eg: How many bus stops are there in Singapore (the one I got.)
Using personal experiences, districts in Singapore (28 districts), jus bomb an answer. Do not need to be exact, use 10's without decimal places.

3: Q&A, if you state something in your submission they will ask you about it. Example competition, etc. If not they asked me on why I choose this course.

BTW, IS is my 2nd choice. But I have been short listed for my 1st choice on Business management, tomorrow. I do not know why. Any Information?anyone? They told me they knew about my 1st interview, and ask me if I'm still interested in my 1st choice.
Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #127
Wagatsubasa

Wish to check with any seniors around, for the "IDs Verification & Card Collection" day the sessions are listed as 2.5 hours long, like "9.00am – 11.30am".

Do we need to stick around for the entire span of the 2.5 hours, or can we leave after presenting documents and collecting the student card?

Also, do we need to be there at 9am sharp? Or is the 2.5 hours period just the time when the counter will be open?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #128
ultrateh

Quote:
Wish to check with any seniors around, for the "IDs Verification & Card Collection" day the sessions are listed as 2.5 hours long, like "9.00am – 11.30am".

Do we need to stick around for the entire span of the 2.5 hours, or can we leave after presenting documents and collecting the student card?

Also, do we need to be there at 9am sharp? Or is the 2.5 hours period just the time when the counter will be open?

Thanks in advance!
U can leave after collecting your card. Don't have to be there at 9 am sharp but there is usually a long queue as people will be stuck at a counter for a long time.