BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
dream3r

dream3r has a neutral reputation
Default Studying psychology in Singapore/Canada/Australia???

Hi all, I am interested in psychology but I heard that psychology prospects in Singapore are bleak. It would be better to go overseas and come back with at least a master degree in psychology to practice it. Thus, I have some questions regarding studying psychology overseas and hope that you all will be able to help me resolved it.

1. Is it better to study psychology locally or abroad?

2. For overseas psychology degree, is it better to study at Australia or Canada? In terms of recognition in Singapore. And what is the costs like to study in Canada and Australia?

3. Lastly, Australian National University or University of New South Wales is more recognize for psychology degree?
Thank you in advance for your replies. =)
dream3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

first of all did U get the chance to read this?
http://singaporepsychologicalsociety...11/?page_id=42

secondly, U coming from As or Poly?

thirdly, any working budget and duration?

finally let me try to ans your 3 qns.
1. Locally is DL? NUS? aboard really depends on Uni of choice.

2. With Aussie and Canadian dollar strong today, it returns to my 3rd qns to U what is your budget? in canada and USA Psyc degree are accredited only at Phd level!
http://www.cpa.ca/education/accredit...ditedprograms/
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/index.aspx

aussie do accredit it from bach level. U can even study in SG and do a Aussie Accredited degree.
http://www.apac.psychology.org.au/Courses.aspx?ID=2211

so what does it mean? what do U wanna practice in Psychology? for US and the Canada they accreditation is focus on clinical psychology, clinical neuropsychology etc

3. ANU and UNSW forte isn't Psych, so I cannot recommend any.

3a + 2:
cost at ANU = AUD$46K a yr
UNSW = about the same

note UNSW tuition goes by the number of class you take.
http://www.anu.edu.au/sas/fees/Fee%2..._Fee_Guide.pdf
http://info.anu.edu.au/studyat/Inter...n/costofliving
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/fees/Science.html

UMN cost = US$32K a yr. better yet U don't have to pay extra if U take more than 13 credits (to a max of 21 credits). undergrad are expose to research.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ology-rankings
http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/cost...e_tuition.html
http://www.passport.umn.edu/admissions/tuition.html

Canada Uni
- University of Waterloo
- University of British Columbia
- University of Victoria
- University of Western Ontario

cost concern try University of Western Ontario, University of Victoria.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
dream3r

dream3r has a neutral reputation

Hello Patryn33,

Thank you for the replied. I did some read up and research on the links you provided. It cleared my doubts and questions. So thank you once again. =)
dream3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Raych3ll3

Raych3ll3 has a neutral reputation
Default Study psychology in Singapore/ Australia

Hi all,

I've read the reply from patryn33 to the previous question posted and i'm wondering if I can also get advice about this matter.

I've graduated from poly this year with a gpa of 3.92, I've been offered 3 conditional offers from University of UNSW (Bach. of Psych science), University of Sydney (Bach. of Science; major psych), University of Melbourne (Bach. of Arts; major psych).

I am considering to accept University of Melbourne. However, due to the cost of studying in Australia, I am now also considering NUS.

I understand that NUS takes 20% from o level results, and 80% from polytechnic gpa as the overall University Score for admission. However, I didn't do too well for my o's, obtaining l1r4 of 17, and l1r5 of 23. Therefore, I'm unsure of my chances to enroll into NUS next year.

This is rather urgent as it is recommended for me to accept my Australian offers if I intend to study there next Feb.

Therefore, my questions are:

1. Would anyone know what are my chances to get into NUS Bach. Of arts and social science, majoring in psych next year? And whether it is worth the risk of rejecting all my Australian offers now, in order to wait for applications next Feb?

2. Is the job opportunities in singapore the same if I obtain a degree from UMelb and NUS? Will local companies prefer employing NUS grads over UMelb?

3. Part of my reason for wanting to study in UMelb is because it is better recognized in the world, than NUS under the world ranking. And also because I believe overseas exposure will give me the opportunity to mature, meet people, and gain useful life skills due to living in a different environment, which I may not be able to do so in NUS. Based on these reasons, for those who have studied abroad, or has experienced this, is it worth the money required to study abroad?

4. Is it easy to get a scholarship in Australia, and is it recommended to work part time in Australia while studying?

5. Assuming I've completed my bachelor degree in Australia and I need to take a break from my studies to work and save for honours and masters, is it easy to find a full time job in Australia with a bachelor of arts, majoring psychology? Or if I return back to Singapore to find a job here, would it be more challenging for me to find a job here, as compared to the graduates from other local universities?

Thank you so much. This is very urgent.
Raych3ll3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raych3ll3 View Post
Is the job opportunities in singapore the same if I obtain a degree from UMelb and NUS? Will local companies prefer employing NUS grads over UMelb?
Yes, the job opportunities are the same, or maybe even better since some companies see it as a plus point that you have experienced life overseas. Maybe, some SMEs would prefer NUS grads, but really, these are the companies you wouldn't want to be working for.

Quote:
Part of my reason for wanting to study in UMelb is because it is better recognized in the world, than NUS under the world ranking. And also because I believe overseas exposure will give me the opportunity to mature, meet people, and gain useful life skills due to living in a different environment, which I may not be able to do so in NUS. Based on these reasons, for those who have studied abroad, or has experienced this, is it worth the money required to study abroad?
Definitely, especially for a field like psychology. Then again whether it is "worth the money" is relative to your family's financial situation.

Quote:
Or if I return back to Singapore to find a job here, would it be more challenging for me to find a job here, as compared to the graduates from other local universities?
No. But do try hard to get some relevant work experience (part-time, internships...) in Australia.
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #6
Raych3ll3

Raych3ll3 has a neutral reputation

Thanks for your reply!

I am also wondering, could you advice me on what are the things an international student should do an experience while studying abroad (in Australia), in order to make the best out of the whole experience?

I'm looking at the things I can do to develop myself in such a way that I'll learn new skills (be it, interaction with people etc) such that I will become a better graduate (who possesses skills and personality which value adds to my degree) that employers would want.

Thanks in advance.
Raych3ll3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
trapped

trapped has a neutral reputation

If you are staying in Singapore, go to NUS for psychology.

For Australia, go to Uni of Melbourne.

For Canada, go to Toronto.

I'm talking about whichever uni with a good reputation in psychology.
trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
lwjsg

lwjsg has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I am also wondering, could you advice me on what are the things an international student should do an experience while studying abroad (in Australia), in order to make the best out of the whole experience?

I'm looking at the things I can do to develop myself in such a way that I'll learn new skills (be it, interaction with people etc) such that I will become a better graduate (who possesses skills and personality which value adds to my degree) that employers would want.
there's all the little expeditions you can take, and all the ancient/historical and cultural places you can visit... and you can also soak into their strong coffee/cafe and wine culture, pretty useful, yeahh!

dont focus so much into searching specific "value added" activities, just enjoy your time over there and go around. ultimately, studying overseas and mixing in with their culture is definitely a value add in any way!
lwjsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
valen6603

valen6603 has a neutral reputation
Default You can try College of Allied Educators in Singapore

Formerly known as School of Linguistics, is a premier learning institution and the learning provider of choice for special needs, counselling, psychology, and allied health and science programmes.

College of Allied Educators projects a very good image of a professional training institution. Lectures were interesting and notes were well-prepared.

Graduate Diploma in Psychology ( Part-Time )
This is a 16-month graduate programme to equipped candidates with an understanding of the behaviour, relationships and the workings of the human mind, which are relevant to many careers and professions. Candidates will learn social and cognitive development, human development and abnormal psychology. Counselling modules are included to enrich the candidates’ learning.

Advanced Diploma in Psychology ( Part-Time )
This is a 12-month part-time programme covering a range of theoretical, analytical, conceptual and functional skills in psychology. The study of psychology will enrich students with an understanding of the behaviour, relationships and the workings of the human mind, which are relevant to many careers and professions. Students will learn social and cognitive development, human development and abnormal psychology.

Diploma in Psychology ( Part-Time )
This is a 6-month part-time programme covering a range of theoretical, analytical, conceptual and functional skills in psychology. The study of psychology will enrich students with an understanding of the behaviour, relationships and the workings of the human mind, which are relevant to many careers and professions.

Diploma in Psychological Studies ( Part-Time )
This is a 6-month part-time programme covering a range of theoretical, analytical, conceptual and functional skills in psychology. The study of psychology will enrich students with an understanding of the behaviour, relationships and the workings of the human mind, which are relevant to many careers and professions.
valen6603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
nihaoma

nihaoma has a neutral reputation
Default Hello

I think patryn33's answer is good.
nihaoma is offline   Reply With Quote