BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #21
ekyhdeveloper

ekyhdeveloper has a neutral reputation

Agreed, that would make getting in the hard part, though :P In any case, I have this to say, in case any prospective applicant is reading: Considering the sheer number of equally overqualified applicants each year, applying for financial aid can seriously reduce the chances of getting accepted. So if the school is discriminatory, an applicant should genuinely consider whether getting-in-regardless-of-the-package is more important (already has a scholarship on hand, etc.); or that financial aid is the only available option for a US liberal arts education. Consider this the collective, haphazard wisdom of a motley cohort of people who have "been there, and done that".
ekyhdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #22
windowsmaclinux

windowsmaclinux has a neutral reputation

Many need-aware top LACs guarantees to meet full demonstrated need (important: provided you get admitted) with very generous financial aid awards (You have to find out for yourself how many intels get admitted with FA each year though). A few big private uni do too (HYPSM and a few others) but most I think don't (especiallly public uni).
windowsmaclinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #23
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

ekyhdeveloper, yes, you're right. If finances are tight and going overseas to you is a nice-to-have, but you really don't mind studying locally, then perhaps you should apply for FA.

windowsmaclinux, yes, I haven't heard of public universities giving FA to internationals. Public universities tend to have large numbers of undergrads, so it's harder for them to give out aid to students, much less internationals. Furthermore, the fact that public universities get most of their funding from taxpayers' money makes giving FA to internationals a rather sensitive issue, which most public universities would rather avoid.

But I've seen fellow Singaporeans getting generous FA packages from highly reputable (private) institutions, so it definitely isn't impossible. It just depends on how much they want to admit the applicant.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
windowsmaclinux

windowsmaclinux has a neutral reputation

Actually MANY international students get very generous FA from top US colleges so don't be afrad, try your very best and go for it!
windowsmaclinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
DesperateGuide

DesperateGuide has a neutral reputation

The financial aid pool has shrunk, especially for international students, after the recent financial crisis which saw a drastic fall in many US universities' endowment.

Financial aid, especially full aid, is incredibly hard to come by even at the top US schools. If you think about it, plenty of government scholarships holders from your local pool (your competition) will already be aiming for these top schools. Need-blind or not, the top schools have a strong preference for scholarship holders who can pay the full fare.

However, there are people from the most recent batch of accepted Singaporean students who received a full ride at top schools like Princeton and Amherst. It is not impossible, but you need to stand out from the crowd.

You need to change your strategy - apply to schools that are known for giving internationals financial aid (fact: not all ivy league universities give generous international aid based on historical data). That may mean applying to lower-ranked universities that offer generous MERIT scholarships up to full ride. Such universities are Wesleyan University, University of Richmond.

Broaden your search internationally - apply for government scholarships such as the Japanese, Korean, China Government Scholarships - all full tuition, plus expenses.

If you really want to study overseas, you have to do your homework.
DesperateGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #26
Run

Just to add to the above: Princeton and Amherst are need-blind. I've heard of need-aware schools offering generous aid to internationals as well, so if you're looking for aid, don't cross these out just because they aren't need-blind.
What I say is reflective my own opinion, not that of the BrightSparks Administration nor that of other moderators. Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Local Moderator - Overseas: US
Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #27
innovator

innovator has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run View Post
Just to add to the above: Princeton and Amherst are need-blind. I've heard of need-aware schools offering generous aid to internationals as well, so if you're looking for aid, don't cross these out just because they aren't need-blind.
Hi... can u elaborate more on need blind admission of Princeton for international students? im interested in pursuing a college education in the usa but i dont think my family will be able to support me...
innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #28
Butterbeer

Butterbeer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hi... can u elaborate more on need blind admission of Princeton for international students?
Need blind means that, when you apply for admission and financial aid at the university, the fact that you are applying financial aid / the amount of financial aid you need does not decrease your chances of admission to the university.

The six need-blind colleges for international students are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Dartmouth, Amherst.

There is nothing especially different about Princeton's brand of need-blind financial aid policy as compared to the other 5 school's.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #29
innovator

innovator has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer View Post
Need blind means that, when you apply for admission and financial aid at the university, the fact that you are applying financial aid / the amount of financial aid you need does not decrease your chances of admission to the university.

The six need-blind colleges for international students are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Dartmouth, Amherst.

There is nothing especially different about Princeton's brand of need-blind financial aid policy as compared to the other 5 school's.
In that case, what is the chances for an international student to be granted a financial aid when they are accepted by these universities? TIA!
innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #30
Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator View Post
In that case, what is the chances for an international student to be granted a financial aid when they are accepted by these universities? TIA!
It really depends on how your financial situation is like. If you get admitted, and demonstrate that you need financial aid from the school, they'll provide aid to you. Simple as that.

What I say is reflective my own opinion, not that of the BrightSparks Administration nor that of other moderators. Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Local Moderator - Overseas: US