BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > BrightSparks Community > BrightSparks Cafe
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #41
UCLA_Lim
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California, Los Angeles
Posts: 40
UCLA_Lim has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxysquare88 View Post
In the 2008 THES-QS World University Rankings*, NUS is ranked 30th on par with University of California, Los Angeles and NTU is ranked 77th.

If you take a look at the score breakdown, you will realise that both are not doing well in their faculty student ratio. Faculty student ratio is a quantitative indication of whether there is sufficient staff. It carries a substantial weighting of 20% in the tabulation of the final score.

The proportion of each cohort of local students entering local universities has increased over the years^. Setting up 2 more local universities will help to produce more graduates to meet the needs of the industries, and at the same time, reduce the student-teacher ratio in the existing institutions.

A brilliant move indeed! Move up the rankings of NUS and NTU~

To gain the fame, join the game.

*2008 THES-QS World University Rankings
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...=243&pubCode=1

^Admission into Local Universities
http://www.parliament.gov.sg/reports...006_T0001.html
While I agree with Spencer that NUS is not in UCLA's league in terms of research output, Roxysquare does bring out a very interesting observation, which I think is very very true. By having more universities and cutting down the faculty student ratio, Singapore universities are effectively "playing the ranking game" whether they want to or not.

However, I'm not ready to say this will come to pass. One reason is because I suspect the increase in universities has more to do with making Singapore a education hub in Asia, attracting a range of international students and on the way, making more money. The faculty student ratio may not necessarily come down.
UCLA_Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #42
friedemann
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 17
friedemann has a neutral reputation
Default

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I thought it might be worth asking if anyone has heard any updates on the new university.

I'm currently serving NS, ording 2011 march planning to study architecture, so when i look at the courses mentioned to be planned for the new univeristy, my immediate concern is.. what kind of degrees will they be offering? Somehow it doesn't sound like I'll be getting an MArch from this institution.. will I be able to apply for to a Masters programme in NUS or overseas based on qualifications from this university? It's definitely an issue since I intend to enter the job market in East Asia in the long term, and as a fresh grad in Asia the paper qualifications are undoubtedly quite important, though the extent may be debateble..

Last edited by friedemann; 03-01-2010 at 05:09 PM.
friedemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #43
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,715
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedemann View Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I thought it might be worth asking if anyone has heard any updates on the new university.

I'm currently serving NS, ording 2011 march planning to study architecture, so when i look at the courses mentioned to be planned for the new univeristy, my immediate concern is.. what kind of degrees will they be offering? Somehow it doesn't sound like I'll be getting an MArch from this institution.. will I be able to apply for to a Masters programme in NUS or overseas based on qualifications from this university? It's definitely an issue since I intend to enter the job market in East Asia in the long term, and as a fresh grad in Asia the paper qualifications are undoubtedly quite important, though the extent may be debateble..
Hello fridemann. You have done nothing wrong in digging up this thread so no need to apologise. Details on the 4th university are not finalised yet but I believe if it is to offer an architecture course, it should offer a masters together with it because thats the minimum requirement you need to work here - but are you already so sure you don't want to just complete the whole course at NUS instead?
__________________


What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #44
tony
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
tony has a neutral reputation
Default

can i apply if i got my results last year?
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #45
Run
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 400
Run has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
can i apply if i got my results last year?
I think you can, but do note that classes only starts in 2012 (they recently decided to push it back), so be prepared for a gap year after your NS (assuming you entered NS last year) if you do decide to study there.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #46
boredgenius
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 38
boredgenius has a neutral reputation
Default

the new uni is called SUTD fyi... they only open their intake in april every year, which the deadline has just ended.

the other downside of it is that the first 1.5 years in that university is about learning mainstream subjects, like history, humanities.

the good side is that it's sort of affiliated to MIT, which is prestigious and their degree is recognized by both s'pore and us side.

hope this helps
boredgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #47
Run
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 400
Run has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgenius View Post
the other downside of it is that the first 1.5 years in that university is about learning mainstream subjects, like history, humanities.
And how is this a downside, if I may ask?
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #48
boredgenius
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 38
boredgenius has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run View Post
And how is this a downside, if I may ask?
cos i'm from polytechnic, we studied a bit more of the subject already, have to reverse back to mainstream subjects before going back to the focus subject. maybe its just a downside to me only..
boredgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #49
razer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
razer has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgenius View Post
cos i'm from polytechnic, we studied a bit more of the subject already, have to reverse back to mainstream subjects before going back to the focus subject. maybe its just a downside to me only..
Typical singaporean mentality that thinks the humanities are useless. The american education system, and especially for top schools like MIT, is famous precisely because of its broad-based interdisciplinary curriculum.

The main weakness of poly students is that they have a strong training in their subject area, but outside of that, they are totally clueless. Sadly, these are not the people who would thrive in a knowledge economy.
razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #50
boredgenius
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 38
boredgenius has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer View Post
Typical singaporean mentality that thinks the humanities are useless. The american education system, and especially for top schools like MIT, is famous precisely because of its broad-based interdisciplinary curriculum.

The main weakness of poly students is that they have a strong training in their subject area, but outside of that, they are totally clueless. Sadly, these are not the people who would thrive in a knowledge economy.
Well, as I corrected, TO ME. It might not be for you or much typical, if there is anything, I am from a polytechnic but I don't represent any and hence, you should not be quick to judge the purpose of any individual. If there is a need for leaders to lead to a thrive in knowledge economy, we should start with being less rigid and diverse first.

Last edited by boredgenius; 04-21-2010 at 12:41 PM.
boredgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.