BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Canada
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Char920612

Char920612 has a neutral reputation
Exclamation Diploma in SG to UNi in Canada

Hi,

I've been looking for agents to get application to uni in canada, but apparently there isnt anyyyyy~

And i've been looking on the websites, they didnt really state whether they reg dip in sg?

Anyone has any idea if a dip is reg in canada? i was thinking to pursue science in canada.

Or should i say anyone accept in canada uni w/ a local dip? thankyoU!
Char920612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

What is your dip in?
They do take ppl with dip with some exemptions, note they aren't as generous as oz. with that in mind what is your budget? Sci in which area? Uni you have in mind?

Cec has been closed to my knowledge
http://www.studycanada.ca/singapore/

Agents are not much if a help unlike idp and oz uni
U are better off applying to uni on your own. Trying to go out of the norm u have to learn to be independent as on e u are there the Singaporean population in UT/McGill/UBC is still 10-30 tops, uni like York, McMaster, UWO, Waterloo,Alberta at most 10 usually fewer than 3. Most Singaporean there are from JC

The next Canadian edu fair is in feb 2014
http://www.thinkeducation.sg/Home/ca...tion-fair-2013

With top uni such as UBC/McGill/Toronto the kinda poly grades is much like what it would take to get into NUS. Their admission req is higher than top oz uni. If u don't mind longer route, u can go CC for 2 yrs then transfer.

Last edited by patryn33; 09-03-2013 at 09:24 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Drheckyl

Drheckyl has a neutral reputation

Hey, I applied to UofT and McGill for Sep 13 entry and I got into both, so my info should be quite current.

First things first, I applied directly without the help of an agent. UofT goes through OUAC, which is similar to UCAS for the UK if you are familiar with it, while application to McGill is via their online application portal on the McGill website.

Our poly diplomas are recognised by canadian unis, though you should apply for a course related to your dip. My dip was in business and gpa was around 3.9++.

Which unis are you looking at? Note: Min for McGill is 3.7 I believe (applied for arts) and UofT (St George - i.e. main campus), around 3.5+ as the latter has a massive student body. UofT Scarborough and Mississauga are between 3.0 to 3.3 range min.

What kind of school do you prefer? UofT is a commuter school and HUGE with over 30k students. McGill is slightly smaller.

Can you stand the cold? Montreal has a more extreme temperature range while Toronto is milder, though you are looking at -10 to -20 degree winters.

How much are you willing to fork out? UofT is extremely expensive - 34k CAD (equivalent to a public uni in the US), McGill is around 20k - 25k CAD if my memory serves me well. Both unis also asked me to submit an official transcript for some credits (at most half-a-year waiver). They are not as generous as UK or Aus universities.

Do ask if you have any other questions.
Drheckyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
patryn33

@ TS

weather wise once its below 0C its cold, Toronto and Montreal to me not much difference. Please do not get turn off by the weather, that number looks low but day time it is higher with the Sun, at nite U will be in your warm bed don't have to care about the -20C.

FYI Mcgill range for CAD$16K to 26k. alot lower than UT.
http://www.mcgill.ca/student-account...rgraduate-fees

UBC also cheap.
http://www.students.ubc.ca/coursesre.../tuition-fees/

When U say Sci - its very broad U looking to do Chem? Bio? Marine Bio? Physics? Computer Sci? Math/Statistic?

@ Drheckyl
thanx for the info, they didn't seem to change so much. Exemptions is still at best half a yr.

Last edited by patryn33; 09-04-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
JensenDrake2

JensenDrake2 has a neutral reputation

A Diploma is Not Enough

A Polytechnic Diploma is a degree received from one of the five polytechnics, while a Bachelor’s Degree is a degree earned from a four-year institution of higher learning locally or overseas.
http://www.studyabroad.sg/study-abro...nic-graduates/
Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #6
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenDrake2 View Post
A Diploma is Not Enough

A Polytechnic Diploma is a degree received from one of the five polytechnics, while a Bachelor’s Degree is a degree earned from a four-year institution of higher learning locally or overseas.
http://www.studyabroad.sg/study-abro...nic-graduates/
misleading 1st statement

the URL provided didn't state any Canadian options...

somehow I cannot connect the dots or find a link.