BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #1431
PoKeNoMiCs

PoKeNoMiCs has a neutral reputation
Smile Freshmen of 2017

Hi all!

My name is Derrick. I am going to enroll in this coming Aug to FASS. I have a strong desire in choosing Economics as my Major in the 2nd year of studies in FASS. I was from Polytechnic and a little bit worried about the criteria that are needed to study Economics as a Major.

As a Poly student, the only Math that I had taken was EMath and AMath during Secondary School. I am not equipped with the A Level Math that is presumably going to be used heavily in Economics Major.

May I ask, are there any recommendations that you could give, so that I could prepare myself before university starts? Such as what are the Math needed, any skills I should pick up before the school? I have few more months before the school officially starts and I am eager to start learning and preparing myself for the up-coming challenging life in NUS. Thank you.

I am also currently looking for a mentor that Major in NUS Economics, if you don't mind to spend a little time guiding a newbie, please private message me!

All replies are greatly appreciated!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:23 AM   #1432
greeen

greeen has a neutral reputation

Hey Derrick,

I'm a year 2 econs major going on year 3. I won't be able to guide you though because I'll be going on exchange next semester haha.

What I recommend is to brush up on O level Amath integration. In one of your core modules, you'll be required to do A level integration but the prof explains it clearly in lecture. However, you can learn it beforehand because I know of people who took H1 math or were from poly who struggled and ended up dropping econs because the math in that particular mod (EC2104) is intimidating for those without prior exposure.

Apart from that, everyone starts from the same level. So there's no need to worry. The stats mod references a little bit from JC A level math but that's nothing to worry about because that's like only a small percentage and most JC students forget anyway.

Just make sure you're comfortable with math

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoKeNoMiCs View Post
Hi all!

My name is Derrick. I am going to enroll in this coming Aug to FASS. I have a strong desire in choosing Economics as my Major in the 2nd year of studies in FASS. I was from Polytechnic and a little bit worried about the criteria that are needed to study Economics as a Major.

As a Poly student, the only Math that I had taken was EMath and AMath during Secondary School. I am not equipped with the A Level Math that is presumably going to be used heavily in Economics Major.

May I ask, are there any recommendations that you could give, so that I could prepare myself before university starts? Such as what are the Math needed, any skills I should pick up before the school? I have few more months before the school officially starts and I am eager to start learning and preparing myself for the up-coming challenging life in NUS. Thank you.

I am also currently looking for a mentor that Major in NUS Economics, if you don't mind to spend a little time guiding a newbie, please private message me!

All replies are greatly appreciated!
greeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:25 AM   #1433
Jdh

Jdh has a neutral reputation
Default Fass culture

Will be a freshmen in FASS this year, may I know how is the culture like in FASS?? Is it true that it can be quite hard to make friends in FASS due to differences in schedules
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #1434
greeen

greeen has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdh View Post
Will be a freshmen in FASS this year, may I know how is the culture like in FASS?? Is it true that it can be quite hard to make friends in FASS due to differences in schedules
Haha that's every Uni in fact. Uni isn't like a JC/Poly anymore. Everyone is independent and unless you make a deliberately effort to attend classes with your friends, you're pretty much alone. Tutorial/lecture friendship typically don't last beyond the module. So your best bet is to go for camps, stay in hall or RC, and/or join a tight-knit CCA.
greeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #1435
LT98

LT98 has a neutral reputation
Default Psychology Job Prospects?

Hey there, I'm an incoming freshman this coming August quite keen on pursuing psychology. However, I don't know any seniors who are studying this course. Would anyone mind to share a little bit more about job prospects for psychology major graduates? Thank you
LT98 is offline   Reply With Quote