BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
wewet08

wewet08 has a neutral reputation
Default Studying Medicine In Ireland

Hey guys, I just got accepted into NUI Galway but am not sure whether to accept or not. My main concern is career advancement in Singapore after getting an Irish medical degree, that too from Galway. Does prestige matter for the basic medical degree, if I want to practice in Singapore? Also, it would be great to hear from others who were accepted into Galway for medicine.
wewet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewet08 View Post
Hey guys, I just got accepted into NUI Galway but am not sure whether to accept or not. My main concern is career advancement in Singapore after getting an Irish medical degree, that too from Galway. Does prestige matter for the basic medical degree, if I want to practice in Singapore? Also, it would be great to hear from others who were accepted into Galway for medicine.
Congrats on ur offer!

Well, the diplomatic answer is that the ranking of school doesn't really come into play when applying for HO / MO 5 years on. As long as the uni is approved by SMC (and Galway is), it should be an issue coming back to practice. Whether u get the new residency places of u choice though... is another question. I think they look beyond just wad university u are from, but also ur other achievements (CCAs, publications, presentations, etc.).

Once u are in the system, i dun think anybody bothers where u gt ur basic med degree anymore.
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
linz

linz has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hey I'm quite interested in Ireland. What are your A level results? If you don't mind sharing And what are the pre-requisites?
linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
lemonhoneysugar

lemonhoneysugar has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hey wewet08! I applied for medicine in Ireland this year too and I'm still waiting for their decision. Did you apply through Region Development (IUMC)? And did you go for the 2nd interview already? You got accepted pretty fast (I'm going for my 2nd interview next week)
lemonhoneysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Kyra

Kyra has a neutral reputation

Hi, may I know what are the minimum entry requirements for medicine in Irish universities and does the school term start in september?
Also, which agencies can I apply through? I went to IDP however they have information only for aus unis and birmingham u for uk
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
happypickle

happypickle has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
Hi, may I know what are the minimum entry requirements for medicine in Irish universities and does the school term start in september?
Also, which agencies can I apply through? I went to IDP however they have information only for aus unis and birmingham u for uk
Last year it was about AABB if I'm not wrong, but you should check with the agency in case they changed it. You can call the agent for Irish universities at 67332359 (Linda) to find out more, or go down personally to Valley Point (: Get in touch with them quick though, interviews have already started I think!
happypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Kyra

Kyra has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypickle View Post
Last year it was about AABB if I'm not wrong, but you should check with the agency in case they changed it. You can call the agent for Irish universities at 67332359 (Linda) to find out more, or go down personally to Valley Point (: Get in touch with them quick though, interviews have already started I think!
K thanks. I found this http://www.nuigalway.ie/medicine/entry.html
I took H2 chem, bio and math so does it mean I have to have A for physics during O levels otherwise my application wouldn't be considered?
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

seems so. but in my case a year ago, they didn't seem to mind that i didn't take O'lvl physics.
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
rainbow

rainbow has a neutral reputation

Anyone else going to study in Galway? I will be commencing my studies in sept this year...
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
movingmountains

movingmountains has a neutral reputation
Default Trinity?

Hey who's going to TCD this year for medicine??
movingmountains is offline   Reply With Quote