BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation
Default Careers in Consultancy

Which are the main forms of consultancy agencies?..or do you call it by another name?

Just like IS consultancy (eg. Accenture,Bain etc), Accounting consultancies (The Big 4) etc...

Do these firms accept fresh graduates, or potential candidates are expected to have some years of relevant experience?
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation
Default Types of Consultancies

Consultanting firms are companies that earn money providing "brainpower" coupled with benchmarking of best practises to their clients. The scope can be very broad. IT consultants can help advice on the best combination of hardware and software and processes to achieve business goals of their clients. IT consulting firms include IBM, Accenture.

Management Consulting firms provide general management and strategic issue consultancy work. An example will be tourism board hiring a consultant to do a strategic analysis and study of Singapore's positioning vis a vis our competitor nations and make recommendations for our tourism policy and tactics moving forward. Firms in the area include Bain & co, Mckinsey, Arthur D little etc.

HR Consultancy firms provide their clients with HR related advice and studies and analysis. An example will be a large firm hiring a HR Consultant to benchmark its compensation practises and offering suggestions on how to improve. HR Consultnats include Watson Wyatt, Mercer etc.

Accounting firms are also like consultants to some extent but a large part of their business is in audit and not straightforward consulting. The big 4 are a good example.

As for hiring, they all do hire fresh graduates and they try to hire highly intelligent and driven individuals. MCs prob pay the best, paying above $6K for fresh graduates. But they hire 1 or 2 a year at best. Consulting firms, Investment Banking all try toget the cream of the crop. So it a good academic record (1st class), top university, strong cca and a good personality and interviewing skills to boot that will help you qualify.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
charming

charming has a neutral reputation

what degrees do management consultants prefer? I actually have a place at Yale, and I wanna do Economics and Mathematics - would that be okay?
charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

Should be fine. Basically they look for extremely bright people from all sorts of backgrounds. Need to be very motivated and hardworking too. Ifyou are graduating from Yale, then no big deal whatever you study.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Freshie!

Freshie! has a neutral reputation
Default Management consultancy

I am interested in MC as well. Surely when one is successful hired into a MC firm, one's area of consultancy is more or less determined by the degree and major he/she obtained is it not? Or does it mean that the company will retrain you in other areas such that you can be relocated to a department not of your expertise?

The last comment about Yale makes me think Singapore Universities are a gigantic leap away from these Ivy league schools. So if I'm enrolling into a local University does mean that the chances of getting into a managament consultancy firm is much much reduced?
Freshie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
elee

elee has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshie! View Post
I am interested in MC as well. Surely when one is successful hired into a MC firm, one's area of consultancy is more or less determined by the degree and major he/she obtained is it not? Or does it mean that the company will retrain you in other areas such that you can be relocated to a department not of your expertise?

The last comment about Yale makes me think Singapore Universities are a gigantic leap away from these Ivy league schools. So if I'm enrolling into a local University does mean that the chances of getting into a managament consultancy firm is much much reduced?
hello freshie!

you happen to point out some of the questions i have in mind too!
elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshie! View Post
i doubt so. if you're talking about local MCs, the number of ivy league applicants are pretty small - so even if we assume that ALL the ivy league applicants are successful, there're still lots of places left and in effect you'll still competing with local grads and will still stand a good chance. but of course you really need to be very good in your own uni and course. really good. also be active in ccas.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Freshie!

Freshie! has a neutral reputation

That's rather reassuring, but which are the local MC firms? Haven't really heard of them.
Freshie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

Q : I am interested in MC as well. Surely when one is successful hired into a MC firm, one's area of consultancy is more or less determined by the degree and major he/she obtained is it not? Or does it mean that the company will retrain you in other areas such that you can be relocated to a department not of your expertise?

Actually usually what you study has little impact. These employers are looking for top notch talent who have a knack for hardwork, analysis and have a good business sense. Basically peopel who woudl thrive in the business world. So you can be an engienering grad or a PPE grad or a lawyer and you can be hired as an entry level associate.

Q :The last comment about Yale makes me think Singapore Universities are a gigantic leap away from these Ivy league schools. So if I'm enrolling into a local University does mean that the chances of getting into a managament consultancy firm is much much reduced?

Not really, but you do need to get that 1st class (2nd upper has quite a lot of people in it) and you also need a super good CCA. Many top local grads are workign for consulting firms.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dershing View Post

Not really, but you do need to get that 1st class (2nd upper has quite a lot of people in it) and you also need a super good CCA. Many top local grads are workign for consulting firms.
What is meant by "super good CCA"? Are leadership positions very important?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote