BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Public Service Commission
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
fisherman

fisherman has a neutral reputation
Default PSC Board Interview Queries

Hello I have just been called up for the PSC board interview and I would like to consult some of you on queries that I have.

1) Is the final round interview open to all that apply and have gone through the psychometric test and psychological interview? Or have they already done some form of shortlisting?

2) What dress code am I expected to adhere too? Would wearing a blazer be too formal?

3) What kind of questions am I supposed to expect? Personal, current affairs? I am sorry if it has already been answered before in this forum because all that I managed to uncover were either from long ago or about the Management Associates Programme.

4) Does the psychological interview have any bearing on what kind of questions I should expect?

5) Is this really the final interview or would there be follow-ups to this?

6) By when, am I supposed to expect a response (either a rejection or an acceptance)?

Thank you in advance!
fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
fisherman

Default Anyone?

Anyone?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
mishieru07

mishieru07 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Hello I have just been called up for the PSC board interview and I would like to consult some of you on queries that I have.

1) Is the final round interview open to all that apply and have gone through the psychometric test and psychological interview? Or have they already done some form of shortlisting?

2) What dress code am I expected to adhere too? Would wearing a blazer be too formal?

3) What kind of questions am I supposed to expect? Personal, current affairs? I am sorry if it has already been answered before in this forum because all that I managed to uncover were either from long ago or about the Management Associates Programme.

4) Does the psychological interview have any bearing on what kind of questions I should expect?

5) Is this really the final interview or would there be follow-ups to this?

6) By when, am I supposed to expect a response (either a rejection or an acceptance)?

Thank you in advance!
1) The shortlisting occurs between the application and the psychological interview. If you get to the psych interview, you're guaranteed a board interview too (at least, that was the policy when I replied)

2) I don't remember what I wore, but I think a blazer's fine. I would say better to overdress than under dress. Otherwise, I'm sure formal work attire which is suitable for a job interview should be fine as well.

3) Really random questions based on feedback from various people (one friend had barely walked into the room when Eddie Teo barked at him and proclaimed his personal statement to be nonsense. I'd be totally , but thankfully that didn't happen to me).

Obviously, you should definitely prepare the bog-standard personal questions (eg why public service, what you like/ don't like about yourself, what are your career aspirations, about your personal statement). In my case, I applied to study Law, so half my interview was on legal issues (I remember being asked about Alan Shadrake), and I think the other half was on random current affairs (eg what I thought of Obama's first term in office, Sino-US relations). I don't recall being very stumped by any of them - it's mostly things that you should have heard of (if you keep up with the news).

I don't think you can prepare very much for it except read up, and have one or two topics that you're ready to have an in-depth discussion about just in case (eg one policy you want to change in Singapore)

4) I really don't know. I don't remember there being any specific references to what I said at my psychological interview! I think it's more to provide a holistic view of you as a person. I'd say just answer the psych interview as you would any normal interview and try not to second guess.

5) After applying (I'm assuming you've already done the psychometric test), you have the psych and board interviews. That's it. Of course, if you get shortlisted for the President's Scholarship, there are further rounds of assessment.

6) Don't remember. Wasn't very long I think - I remember they sent a letter.

Good luck!
mishieru07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
fisherman

Default Reply

Wow, thank you so much! Really benefited me!