BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Private > Previous Cycles
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation
Default Jardine Foundation Scholarship - Bond free to selected Oxbridge colleges

This is a very important notice to ALL applicants! The Jardine Scholarship has been awarded every year since the 1980s, but nobody seems to know of it. It is a bond-free scholarship (you read that right) to selected Oxbridge colleges (you read that right too). Please note, though, the scholarship and Oxbridge still maintain separate application processes, and success with the scholarship does not have any effect on Oxbridge admissions. However, you definitely need to get a place at one of the following colleges to be eligible for the scholarship:

"Exeter, Oriel, Queen's and Trinity at Oxford, and Downing, Magdalene, Peterhouse and Trinity at Cambridge."

More details here: http://www.jardine-foundation.org/

Although 0-2 scholarships are awarded to Singaporeans each year, it was recently reported that only 20 Singaporeans apply every year. So many people are missing out and not in the know!! I'm sure more Singaporeans will get the Jardine if more apply. Of course, the extremely low chances do mean that a smart applicant should also apply to more scholarships, to which you can apply using BrightSparks' application system right here!
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
BrightSparksAdmin
Administrator

BrightSparksAdmin has a neutral reputation

agree with lock. brightsparks has been listing this scholarship online for over 3 years now after we first discovered it. So do your research and apply for it if relevant!
BrightSparksAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
shadowdancer

shadowdancer has a neutral reputation

hmm any ideas if the value of the scholarship is on par with other government/private bonded scholarships? i'm intending to apply for it but it only opens much later in the year, and the description of the value kind of makes it look as though it's worth less than others. i hope i'm wrong. any help is much appreciated.
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

It pays for the whole tuition, I think, plus some additional allowances. Which part of the description are you referring to?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
shadowdancer

wow thanks for the quick reply.

hm actually maybe i kind of misread it. just that words like 'necessary' and how they specified for living-in basis made me think that they were trying to skimp on finances.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
shadowdancer

haha i'm the only one posting here =/

but since it's drawing near i've got another burning question

the prospectus seems to indicate that any interview is going to be held in Hong Kong??
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Markeur

Markeur has a neutral reputation

Haha I reckon only the girls get the scholarships.As for guys,due to their mandatory national service,they can only apply for colleges that admit matured students.Such colleges are not in the list,so they're not able to apply for Jardine Foundation Scholarship.
Markeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
shadowdancer

uh that's not really true

i'm holding a place at one of the colleges, and it starts 10 months after i ord

21 is still young enough to be in the normal colleges, there's no issue of that...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
shadowdancer

would there happen to be any current/ex-Jardine scholars hiding in the forum anywhere??
Old 01-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Swiffy

Swiffy has a neutral reputation

Hi there!
I'm going to be a Jardine scholar once I met my conditional offer for Peterhouse(hopefully!) , but I can answer most questions posted regarding the scholarship.
My scholarship is worth 3 years- it covers tuition fees, college fees and includes an 8000 pound annual stipend plus airfare (i think its only once though).
The final interview is held in Hong Kong at their headquarters (it's really cool). They pay for nearly everything though (food...including the minibar, airfare, hotel) so it's like a mini holiday. Jardine happens to own the mandarin hotel chain, so the hotel they allocated us was nice. You get invited to that if you pass the preliminary rounds held in your country. I think they only invite 12 candidates out of 300 applicants this year. In the end, only 6 get the scholarship.
This year, I think 3 singaporeans got the scholarship :P. Two of them happen to be post NS, so yea, males do get the scholarship.
Swiffy is offline   Reply With Quote