BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #71
huanghuien

huanghuien has a neutral reputation

hello everyone!

I was doing some research for some school stuff when I stumbled on this forum. I'm from SMU law so I thought I'd offer some insight on some of the more recent things that were brought up. After all, brightsparks helped me out a lot when I was choosing my university and I would just like to return the favour.

To EmporThor, I don't know if you'll see this since this message is pretty late. However, I would encourage you to apply to SMU law. While I don't know any polytechnic students (granted I don't know everyone in my batch), I would make a brief remark that SMU law has a great diversity of people from different schools. I expected my cohort to be made up of people from RJC, ACJC, Hwa Chong with maybe a minority of other schools (this sounds so elitist, sorry!). However, perhaps only 1/3-1/2 of the cohort are from those schools. Quite a lot of students are from other JCs such as Serangoon and MI and other JCs. I have a hunch that, while good grades are important, the school is quite inclined to diversity within their batches. So, I would encourage you to apply and hopefully you can rock the interview. Personally, I didn't do very well for my pre-u exams (not bad, just not great), but they let me in. Haha, I am so worried that this paragraph is politically incorrect. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone):

With regards to this strange rumour that SMU law is more for students who want to do corporate law, banish it! I once was befuddled with the same rumour before I came in. However, during my interview, I asked the interviewers about it and they assured me that's not the truth. And now that I am in the school, I believe it is true. More or less, SMU and NUS law take the same general law mods (although SMU law does split their company law course into two courses, which might explain why SMU law has more "business courses"). At the end of the day, you can chose whether you want to lean more towards corporate, criminal or tort law through your electives. However, I would agree that NUS law has more electives so you should check on that if it really concerns you!

About class participation, I think you guys should stop fretting. From how things go in class, there are people who get through the whole thing without class part-ing the whole semester. Some professors are really understanding and they will you a passing grade for that part of your grade (usually bout 10-20%) so it doesn't pull down your overall score for that subject. So, at the end of the day, class participation is kind of like a bonus to your grade. Also, some professors will set up online discussion forums as a supplement to class participation. If you have cold feet when it comes to public speaking, it's not the end of the world if you come to SMU law. I'm not entirely sure about NUS law, but I know NUS is picking up on this whole class participation thing in some of their courses so maybe this difference won't be relevant for much longer. Lastly, yes, sometimes class gets spoilt when you have annoying people participating throughout the whole lesson thus destroying the whole class. But note that 1) you'll soon know who those people are and simply won't bid for classes with them and 2) professors are not ignorant, they usually ask the person to keep quiet if they are getting carried away.

With regards to uni-core mods, I have to say sometimes they really suck): But they are tolerable and usually law students bid for the "slacker" profs for those subjects to have a respite from law courses. They are part of your final grade. Sometimes, they're pretty interesting and sometimes really useful. End of the day, I do think they make you more rounded as a person overall. My general knowledge has certainly increased cause of them.

As a last remark! I did an internship this year so I got to see SMU law interns and NUS law interns moving around the office and also got to talk to some lawyers about any differences. Honestly, I don't think there's any real difference, and preferences by firms/people go by the same rationale as what's your favourite colour. Firstly, I think you should know that the first batch of SMU law students only graduated in May 2011. Thus, it is really difficult to say that firms will have a preference for one law student or another. The recruitment officer at the firm I interned at didn't really say much but I do remember that they have a converter for NUS grades and SMU grades. Oh, and just to add, SMU has a 10 week internship requirement for ALL students. Thus, they set up a lot of arrangements with law firms for internships for their students.

Yup! Ok, back to researching whatever I was researching before. Hope this helps some poor soul somewhere!

Last edited by huanghuien; 11-23-2011 at 09:18 PM.
huanghuien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #72
ehomba

ehomba has a neutral reputation

@huanghuien:

hey,

Don't mind me asking but do you know of anyone who got into SMU law with a UAS lesser than the 85 stated on the SMU website? I actually got into SMU Business, matriculating next year (currently in NS) but was wondering if I had any chance of changing course to law with my grades:

ABB/C, PW-A, GP-B.

Not fantastic grades so I'm not too optimistic, but still.... :|

Thanks!
ehomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #73
huanghuien

huanghuien has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehomba View Post
@huanghuien:

hey,

Don't mind me asking but do you know of anyone who got into SMU law with a UAS lesser than the 85 stated on the SMU website? I actually got into SMU Business, matriculating next year (currently in NS) but was wondering if I had any chance of changing course to law with my grades:

ABB/C, PW-A, GP-B.

Not fantastic grades so I'm not too optimistic, but still.... :|

Thanks!
Hey I didn't take the A levels and I'm not sure about the UAS system. However, I can tell you that I have an IB diploma and one of my components were less than the stated requirements on their website. They still shortlisted me and I got to go for the interview. Did notice that they circled the relevant component with a red pen on my transcripts though.

I think you can just apply and see what happens! You never know Just be more careful with the essay writing and interview components! All the best. Hope this isn't too late.
huanghuien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #74
watermelons

watermelons has a neutral reputation

I'm not accepted yet but i attended the interview and test already and i have some questions. NUS didn't even shortlist me so i am pinning all my hopess on SMU. Anyway, I know SMU is known to be more project-based. Is this also the case for law? I understand there are alot of chances for group work for business but for law, i'm not too sure. I hateeeeee group work. I'm not conceited but just find co-ordinating a hassle.

Also, you mentioned there are some non-law related curriculum that a law student has to take. Is it alot? Cause, i can only imagine my mum forcing me to take business and i hate that. So i wanna ask, exactly how much work not regarding law do we actually have to do. Can you give me a percentage of work and percentage of gpa it weighs. (non-law related subjects, that is)

THANK YOU!!!
watermelons is offline   Reply With Quote