BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > BrightSparks Community > BrightSparks Cafe
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
simyanliang

simyanliang has a neutral reputation
Default Ask your seniors! - Yellow pages for scholars/uni students/etc.

Hey everyone, if you're interested in finding out more about higher education and scholarships, drop by http://tjchighed.pbwiki.com/Scholarships-Main-Page

We have write ups by current scholars and people who have just gone for the interviews on preparing for interviews, what the process is like and how to deal with the application essays.

You’ll also be able to share stuff on Higher Education, be it applying to universities or applying for scholarships. This was created because we kinda learnt the ropes mostly by ourselves and from a few friends throughout our journey, but we hope that as there are more of you starting on this journey, you can all benefit from everyone else’s knowledge and experiences.

Spread the word if you find it useful!

Mod-copied

Last edited by yanshuo; 03-16-2009 at 11:01 AM.
simyanliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
lahsarah

lahsarah has a neutral reputation
Default hello

yO! I'm a MOE scholar in NUS yr 1... any questions regarding MOE interview, medicine, IE scholarship interview u can ask me... been thru all of that b4

Mod-copied

Last edited by yanshuo; 03-16-2009 at 11:01 AM.
lahsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation
Default Ask your seniors! - Yellow pages for scholars/uni students/etc.

Since we have a quite a number of "seniors" willing to share their expertise, it will be useful to have a "yellow pages" thread to identify who these people are.

Seniors: If you are willing to share your advice, put down your name here, your credentials (as much as you would like to reveal), and what you can be asked about.

Juniors: Please pm the relevant person for advice, or if you think what you are asking is valuable for everyone to know, start a thread and invite the relevant person to post a reply.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Say hi to us here!

Last edited by yanshuo; 03-11-2009 at 11:00 PM.
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
Good idea. Why don't you start first?
No worries

Who am I? RJC batch of 2006, currently doing internship with BrightSparks, going to study Cognitive Science/Psychology in USA.
Ask me about... US university applications, personal essay writing, scholarship comparison, career issues in general.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Say hi to us here!
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
teuthophilia

teuthophilia has a neutral reputation

I'm RJ'07, currently freezing my butt off in the northeast US, on the LCK foundation scholarship (I lie, it's actually quite warm today).

Ask me about - planning for US unis, US applications and essay, LCK scholarship, cephalopods.
teuthophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
a_p

a_p has a neutral reputation

From RI(JC) hurhur, currently studying medicine in NUS
Ask me about anything medicine, both local or overseas.
a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Michelle
BrightSparks Expert

Michelle has a neutral reputation

Michelle here, from Hwa Chong a long time ago. Yan Shuo's colleague from JobsFactory/BrightSparks.

Very briefly, my 'tags' are NUS, US, Business schools, MBA, IBM, MFA, San Francisco bay area, working in the US, H1b visa, F1 visa, GMAT, Marketing, designer jobs, writing/editorial jobs, entrepreneurship, scholarship interviews and general career advice.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
profzhu

profzhu has a neutral reputation

zhu here. rjc batch of 06. yan shuo's fren.

can ask abt scholarships, schs in states and uk, econs, general advice
profzhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Daniel

Daniel has a neutral reputation

im daniel ong, rjc 07... and id love to talk to you about:

what you really want to study in university,
NS gap year
cool stuff you will want to do in uni (be it local/overseas)
wanting to start/do something in uni
not to worry if your grades are bad etc

for more boring stuff, i also know a bit about psc/spf/presidents/stanford/usunis blah blah blah if youre interested in that

teuthophilia: PM me! Who are you? we're from the same batch
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

DukeBlue here, from VJC '02. About to graduate after a wonderful 4 years at Duke. The following are my fields of experience which I’ve been posting on (feel free to search my posts), and which I’ll be happy to talk about in more detail:

1) US uni applications. I read and evaluate applications for Duke--several tens every year. I also interview top-caliber applicants from around the world to choose new scholars for Duke, so I do know what (some of) you are up against: really bright and, more importantly, highly motivated students from around the world. I also run an annual workshop for VJC on personal essay-writing (short version: there is no one right way, but many good types of essays)

2) Scholarships. Back in JC I applied for the PSC and SPH scholarships; though I did get offered the SPH scholarship, I failed to get the PSC OMS (got offered the EMS i.e. the MOE scholarship instead). Wish I’d known about Loke Cheng Kim back then!

3) What it’s like in the US universities, academically and socially. Based on my personal experience. I’ve also visited my friends at their schools all over the US (including Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, Georegetown…I have very bright friends! Lucky me.)

4) Jobs/employability. I spent the last year job-hunting like a desperate loon (thanks very much, Wall Street/unbridled greed; I really needed that economic meltdown). I looked into the non-profit/think-tank sectors in the US, as well as consulting and the Singapore Civil Service. I’m only just about to enter my first job later this year.

I'm also happy to chat about the softer side of things such as what Daniel has listed in the post above. I wouldn't volunteer to read apps for Duke and run workshops for VJC unless I were genuinely interested in what the youth of today are doing!

Last edited by DukeBlue; 04-09-2009 at 05:06 PM.
DukeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote