BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Public Service Commission
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
pearl

pearl has a neutral reputation
Default What are PSC psychometric tests like?

What do they test on? Thanks in advance!
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

It depends on the organisation. Different organisations test on different things. PSC's one goes like this:

Maths reasoning test
English reasoning test
Visual reasoning test
Personality profiling test
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Say hi to us here!
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
pearl

ok, thanks for the information. care to elaborate?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

(hope this reply isn't too late!)

Preface: I myself didn’t prepare for the test at all (since I had no idea what it was). Still, I am sure “preparing” for it will help you--if only because the confidence-boost alone will help you psychologically, independent of whether or not the preparation actually helped you mentally. You don’t have to be super-hardcore in preparing for the test, but in case you do want to, I have listed ways to prepare for each section.

I’ll walk through each test, and (except for the last one) recommend how you can do well in them. General advice first:

1. You don’t have to get a perfect score (I think I did less-than-great on especially the math one). 2. Also, the time is really tight on every section: I had to ration my time on each question (move on if it’s too hard) and even then I had to randomly guess on my last few questions of each section because I was running out of time (e.g. 10 seconds left for 5 qns; I just randomly colored in 5 bubbles on the Optical Answer sheet and turned it in).
3. For all sections, the questions start off easy, then are very hard at the end. If you want to handle the tough ones first, do it backwards. But each question is worth the same, so I personally recommend starting from the front but rushing through the first (easier) half of the section.

Math reasoning test
You have to interpret graphs & pie charts, translate time across time zones, convert foreign currencies back and forth into other currencies. Math-y stuff like that.

Due to the tight time limit (~1 minute per question), you have to be really good and fast with math (you can't use a calculator). Either learn to do mental math (I recommend being able to multiply any two double-digit numbers quickly), or multiply on paper really fast.

Ways to prepare: practice doing math really fast (multiplying, dividing especially). Make sure you know how to read basic graphs, pie charts, currency-exchange boards etc.

English reasoning test
Again, tight time constraints (~1 minute per Qn).
You read a passage, then answer MCQs on it. But the MCQs are not your ordinary Reading Comprehension-type MCQs. It’s requires quick logical thinking and thorough interpretation/understanding of the text. Not only does your command of English have to be very strong, you should also be able to think logically quickly.

Some of the closest things you can look at to “prepare” are the UK’s National Admissions Test for Law (LNAT). The sample LNAT tests are pretty good: Google them if you want. Here is one example:
http://www.judd.kent.sch.uk/Document...SampleTest.pdf
Questions 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 are some good examples of what the PSC’s questions are like.

You can also look at the US Law School Admission Tests (LSATs). One sample is here: http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/2007-2008/S...renumbered.pdf
Do all sections in the link except Section III (logic games).

Visual reasoning test
Like the spatial-reasoning IQ test in some IQ books.

Goggle up words like “non-verbal reasoning”, “spatial reasoning” and “visual reasoning”. Some of the ones in the PSC quiz are really tricky! Truly brain-teasers. A sample visual reasoning test: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/spatialtest.htm. PSC’s one is harder, I feel. But the linked test shows you what the test is basically about.

How to prepare: if you’re really hardcore you could go out and look for/buy such IQ books to practice with. Or just Google them up.

Personality profiling test
You can’t prepare for this. It asks you what you prefer, what you would do in a hypothetical situation. There no right/wrong for this; they just want to know your personality (introvert/extrovert; negotiator/dictator etc).

Last edited by DukeBlue; 04-22-2009 at 01:34 PM.
DukeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
appledeer

appledeer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
(hope this reply isn't too late!)

Preface: I myself didn’t prepare for the test at all (since I had no idea what it was). Still, I am sure “preparing” for it will help you--if only because the confidence-boost alone will help you psychologically, independent of whether or not the preparation actually helped you mentally. You don’t have to be super-hardcore in preparing for the test, but in case you do want to, I have listed ways to prepare for each section.

e
t
c.
OMG! Thanks so much for the detailed answer DukeBlue!

I am going for the test this Saturday, got notified today only, feeling anxious now.

May I ask whether the Personality profiling test is a writing type or MCQ type? If it is writing, is it short answers for each questions or long essay type?
In addition, is Civil Service College really COLD? I am thinking about bringing two jackets! Do we have breaks? How long will the break be? Cos if we are not having a heavy breakfast, how can we stay untill noon? I heard that it is going to be very long, like 3.5h long...

Thanks so much!

Last edited by DukeBlue; 05-04-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: For space reasons, no need to quote a long post if it's right above
appledeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
DukeBlue

DukeBlue has a neutral reputation

You're welcome appledeer! If the test is so soon, don't freak out over what I told you. There is no need to "mug" for this particular kind of test, since, as you can tell, it's an aptitude test, not a knowledge-regurgitation test.

The Personality test is also MCQ: whether you prefer X or Y, or what you would do in a given situation, X or Y.

Yes the CSC is cold--bring a jacket. Two is, I think, too much. But if you want to be really warm, I can't stop you from bringing two. Yep it's going to take several hours. Bring a snack to eat in between so you won't feel hungry.

In my case, the three reasoning tests (~2+ hrs total) was on one day; the personality test + psychologists' interview was on another day. So I didn't have to go hungry for 4 hours at a stretch.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
appledeer

appledeer has a neutral reputation

Thanks a lot! Going to do the samples to test out only.
appledeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
pearl

hey DukeBlue, thanks for the reply!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

there are some similar, but not identical tests here: http://www.assessmentday.co.uk
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
samtanko

samtanko has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
there are some similar, but not identical tests here: http://www.assessmentday.co.uk
This is really very good thank you! =)
samtanko is offline   Reply With Quote