BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
orrrrange

orrrrange has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_there View Post
HELLO! I've received an email asking me to go down tml for NTU Comm Studies interview. I have a diploma in Business.

The lady who sent me the email asked me to proceed to the general office at level 4 but did not say which block -_-
So I assume its the WKWSCI block?

Where are you being told to go tml?
eh i wasn't told either! oh no. shall search for the school map now.
orrrrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #22
clarenceux

clarenceux has a neutral reputation

Hi seniors in NTU WKWSCI / NUS FASS

I need some advice on my course of choice before 1 June 2009, so anyone who can help, please do!

I am torn between NUS FASS and NTU WKWSCI. I must admit NUS was my dream school as it offers Political Science and History, which are my favourite subjects. However during the application period, I am enticed by Communication Studies by NTU, particularly journalism and communications research.

Before the offer letters came, I was actually contemplating on a career in public service. At the present moment, I am not so sure of what I want to be. To be more precise, I am actually fascinated by the prospect of being a journalist right now. But that is subject to change, since I really have no firm idea.

Can someone explain to me the curriculum and student life in WKWSCI? I mean, how heavy is the workload and is journalism/coms research project-based? Perhaps this is slightly far-fetched, but for FYP, do we need to do video presentations for journalism/coms research students?

Thanks a million!
clarenceux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #23
knocknock

knocknock has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarenceux View Post
Hi seniors in NTU WKWSCI / NUS FASS

I need some advice on my course of choice before 1 June 2009, so anyone who can help, please do!

I am torn between NUS FASS and NTU WKWSCI. I must admit NUS was my dream school as it offers Political Science and History, which are my favourite subjects. However during the application period, I am enticed by Communication Studies by NTU, particularly journalism and communications research.

Before the offer letters came, I was actually contemplating on a career in public service. At the present moment, I am not so sure of what I want to be. To be more precise, I am actually fascinated by the prospect of being a journalist right now. But that is subject to change, since I really have no firm idea.

Can someone explain to me the curriculum and student life in WKWSCI? I mean, how heavy is the workload and is journalism/coms research project-based? Perhaps this is slightly far-fetched, but for FYP, do we need to do video presentations for journalism/coms research students?

Thanks a million!
haha! same dilemma. but now i'm quite positive i'm going ntu. but it's super far from my house. need 1.5 hours to reach there. dun really wanna stay in hostel though. hope circle line faster complete!
knocknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
clarenceux

haha mind if i ask you why you choose NTU? because of its distance?

sigh. i will be travelling from one end of the island to the other if I do. haha. choices are good, but thinking about it kills more brain cells than i did in the exams hall for 'A's.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #25
knocknock

knocknock has a neutral reputation

Quote:
haha mind if i ask you why you choose NTU? because of its distance?

sigh. i will be travelling from one end of the island to the other if I do. haha. choices are good, but thinking about it kills more brain cells than i did in the exams hall for 'A's.
hmmm. not because of distance. in fact NTU is further from my house than NUS is. i think i prefer the stuff they learn in NTU. NUS focus more on new media, it "includes interactive media like Web design, gaming and virtual reality, among other subjects" according to NUS' CNM site. not really into those stuffs. i'm interested in PR and advertising. you?
knocknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I must admit NUS was my dream school as it offers Political Science and History, which are my favourite subjects. However during the application period, I am enticed by Communication Studies by NTU, particularly journalism and communications research.
If I were you I would choose NUS FASS and double major pol sci - communication or history - communication. or even pol sci - history with a minor in communications

Quote:
I mean, how heavy is the workload and is journalism/coms research project-based?
the nature of a communications course makes it inherently project-based isn't it?

Quote:
but for FYP, do we need to do video presentations for journalism/coms research students?
you can choose not to do a video presentation. and many journalism/coms research students don't

Quote:
Types of Projects
Students can choose to do any of the following types of FYP, each with its own grading criteria: Journalism Writing, Photojournalism, Scriptwriting, Video Documentary, Video Drama, Audio/Radio, Multimedia, Promotional, and Research. You may also elect to combine elements from the above projects to create a hybrid project.
You can read more here:
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/sci/undergrad...ubmission.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by knocknock View Post
i think i prefer the stuff they learn in NTU. NUS focus more on new media, it "includes interactive media like Web design, gaming and virtual reality, among other subjects" according to NUS' CNM site. not really into those stuffs. i'm interested in PR and advertising. you?
as someone who is already in the industry, I think it is to your own detriment that you completely shut yourself off to all things new media.

besides, NUS CNM programme does allow you to focus on PR/Advertising. you can always choose to avoid senior-level interactive media modules that you are not comfortable with.

this article might be of interest if you want to see how new media is affecting journalism (and possibly other aspects of communication like PR/Advertising too)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/ed...e/journ-t.html

non-interactive media modules offered at FASS CNM:

Quote:
NM2201 Intercultural Communication
NM2208 Principles of Visual Communication
NM2219 Principles of Communication Management
NM2220 Introduction to Media Writing
NM3215 Advertising Strategies
NM3217 Publications Graphics and Design
NM3219 Writing for Communication Management
NM3220 Research for Communication Management
NM3224 Culture Industries
NM4202 Transnational Information Producers
NM4206 Media and Communications Regulation
NM4207 Managing Communication Campaigns
NM4208 Advanced Publications Design
NM4212 Media and Representation
NM4218 Knowledge Management: Approaches and Critique
NM4880D Health Communications
NM4880F Topics in Communication Management
NM4880G Topics in Media Studies
NM5201 State and Civil Society in The Information Age
NM5205 Cognition and Media
NM5212 Theories of Public Relations

-- SC2214 Mass Media and Culture
-- SN2251 The Information Revolution in India
-- JS3225 Japanese Mass Media
-- PS3243 Organisational Behaviour in Public Sector
-- SC3213 Ethnographic Analysis of Visual Media
-- PH4203 Issues in Moral Philosophy
-- PS4212 International Politics of Communication
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cnm/undergraduate_module.htm
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cnm/underg...ering09_10.htm

on top of your 4 core modules, that is more than enough to complete a major/second major/shared major/minor in communications.

Last edited by SMUgger; 04-30-2009 at 10:16 AM.
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #27
whatiswrong

whatiswrong has a neutral reputation

hi, was wondering if SCI students are allowed to take double majors. if yes, izit very common among SCI students? and what are the common second majors that SCI students take? thanks.
whatiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #28
clarenceux

hey SMUgger, i am grateful for your detailed reply. Personally my heart is set on NUS, especially if I am selected for USP. However, WKWSCI is also very tempting. Very confusing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatiswrong View Post
hi, was wondering if SCI students are allowed to take double majors. if yes, izit very common among SCI students? and what are the common second majors that SCI students take? thanks.
Hey whatiswrong, SCI students are allowed to take double majors if their grades are good enough (that was what I asked the Chair and his reply). As for whether you can take double major beyond WKWSCI, I am not too sure about that though.

As I am not a WKWSCI student, I cannot answer your question on which are the common second majors taken. I hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #29
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
As I am not a WKWSCI student, I cannot answer your question on which are the common second majors taken. I hope this helps!
you can try asking here:
http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/...ad.php?t=35818
http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/...ad.php?t=19630

lots of seniors there
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
clarenceux

oh wow that's rather informative about SCI.

for those who chose to study CNM at NUS and SCI at NTU, why did you choose to major in communications?