BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
sockmui

sockmui has a neutral reputation
Unhappy Radiation Therapy

Hi

1. I'm rather interested in radiation therapy but not really sure of what exactly they do. It seems like what they do is to perform the radiation to make sure that it kills the cancerous cells, which is kind of routine and boring to me. What actually attracts me to this career is the part of planing a therapy and EXPLAINING it to the patients. Do they do the follow-up check-up on the patients? Or izit done by an oncologist who is a doctor that study medicine? I would not like to face the machine all day long instead..

2. Actually, what really really attracts me is the career of a doctor. But i heard that they need to study for 8 years! Which is kind of scary to me. IS IT TRUE that they do that?

Also, going to poly for the course seems to deter me as well since I am very much attracted to the prospect of going to UNI and obtaining a DEGREE. Going to poly seems like a 'demotion' to me. Sorry, no offense.

I am quite in a dilema now. Could anyone help me? A very big THANKS in advance
sockmui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
sockmui

Smile my reply

Haha. Found my answer already; to be a doc one just need to go through NUS med (which is super difficult to get in).

I just got one question: Is radiation therapist a doctor? If i study Radiation Therapy in NYP and went to get a degree in Australia will I be a doctor?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #23
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

No, sorry to disappoint, but you won't be a doctor. If I am not wrong, a radiation therapist plans and manages the therapy for patients. In a way, like a physiotherapist =)

sockmui are you receiving your A level results this year? If so you will be receiving the upcoming issue of the BrightSparks magazine, which contains an article on a scholar who is now a Radiation Therapist with Alexandra Hospital.
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #24
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

If you stay on in Australia to be a radiation therapist, then you MIGHT be given the title Dr. I am not sure about that. I'm only guessing so because physiotherapists arent regarded as Drs here but in Australia, they are. Anyway, its not very important is it?

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Yes, why is the title important to you as long as you find the job that you love? Even if it does accord you the title of Dr., your job options are still limited by your skills and qualifications. You can't be a medical doctor unless you go to medical school, and so on.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #26
angelatow

angelatow has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to angelatow
Default overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizhen_sky View Post
erm.....is it a must to go overseas in order to obtain a degree?? local uni does nt provide ?
yes. Singapore unis currently do not offer any degree conversion. So have to go overseas for 1 year for a conversion after you attain a diploma.
angelatow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
sockmui

Actually it is not the title that is important. I am interested in RT as I would like to do consultation and the planning of a therapy with the patient rather than positioning the machine for the therapy, which is sort of what a 'doctor' do..

To yanshuo: Yup, i am waiting for my a level result..will be looking forward to the article that u mention. Thx for telling me!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #28
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

I think if you are the radiation therapist, you are going to be the one positioning the machine. Usually the docs sit in a room then talk, then send the patients off to see you. Its the same as how the Radiologist is the one doing the X-rays usually, and not the docs.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #29
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Perhaps its better to think of it like this:

The doctor diagnoses the condition, and decides what kinds of treatment the patient gets.
The radiation therapist plans the radiation-specific treatment.
The RT's helpers operate the machine.
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #30
tuxsie

tuxsie has a neutral reputation
Talking diagnostic radiography

Hey! I'm interested in doing the Diagnostic Radiography in nyp. Missed the deadline last year too.
Does anyone know what the radiographers do instead then?
And whats the difference between a diagnostic radiographer and a radiation therapist? I really want to know whats the difference...

Anyone out there who can help, thanks! =)
tuxsie is offline   Reply With Quote