BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
sweetden7al

Im not sure if GP grade is minimum A2 and/or decent CCA record. No harm applying as you can have as many as top 8 choices if im not wrong. Just be aware that for Medicine you need to go thru interview as well as an essay. I would say Dentistry is more competitive as they only take in 45 students per year. Aside from interview, you'll have to undergo a manual dexterity test before that. This involves moulding plasticine, slicing plaster of paris and bending wires!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #12
whirl

whirl has a neutral reputation

Hello, I would like to have more information. Do you have any S Papers, and if you have, what are your grades? Do you also have any local Olympiad medals, or international olympiad experience? From what you described, you would most probably not get shortlisted for NUS Medicine, but may be shortlisted by Dentistry. CCA records does not really matter, unless under discretionary admissions, which is usually, but not limited to international sports athletes, those of high leadership potential, or an exceptional talent.
whirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #13
zoster

zoster has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetto_oth View Post
Is it wise to apply for med with AAA B3 Project work: Band 3? Or will it be easier to get shortlisted for dentistry with those grades? And I've a pretty decent CCA record too.
My friend who had 4As, B3 and PW Band 3 didn't get shortlisted for Med actually..

I guess the question shouldn't be which one is easier to get in, but more of which one you really want more because your conviction will be evident during the interview stages. I myself am a dental student and as you know there is the manual dexterity test to get through after shortlisting.

Actually there are people with far from perfect grades but appeal for shortlisting though I'm not sure how it goes.
zoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation

In short,

It all depends on the performance of the cohort. No harm trying for the course that you are interested in...for popular courses that involve an interview round, i think the interview plays a more important part in getting yourself selected for the course. Chances varies year after year, so just have a go at it.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl View Post
Hello, I would like to have more information. Do you have any S Papers, and if you have, what are your grades? Do you also have any local Olympiad medals, or international olympiad experience? From what you described, you would most probably not get shortlisted for NUS Medicine, but may be shortlisted by Dentistry. CCA records does not really matter, unless under discretionary admissions, which is usually, but not limited to international sports athletes, those of high leadership potential, or an exceptional talent.
1. Do you have any s papers?
Yeah, chemistry and maths, both are ungraded cos i left halfway through each paper.

2. Any olympiad stuff?
Participated in chem and math olympiad but didnt get squat

But i got a lot of awards from my CCA and participated in national competitions.

And what makes you think that this statement of yours is right "From what you described, you would most probably not get shortlisted for NUS Medicine, but may be shortlisted by Dentistry. " Are you saying dentistry is easier to get in? Heheh
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
whirl

whirl has a neutral reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
1. Do you have any s papers?
Yeah, chemistry and maths, both are ungraded cos i left halfway through each paper.

2. Any olympiad stuff?
Participated in chem and math olympiad but didnt get squat

But i got a lot of awards from my CCA and participated in national competitions.

And what makes you think that this statement of yours is right "From what you described, you would most probably not get shortlisted for NUS Medicine, but may be shortlisted by Dentistry. " Are you saying dentistry is easier to get in? Heheh

Dentistry and medicine are among the most selective for admissions. Neither of them is easy to get in.

Statistically speaking, dentistry accepts 43 (if i am not wrong) out of 300 shortlisted. While medicine would accept over 200 out of 500 or so shortlisted. So in that sense, medicine have a higher chance to get in, that is IF you are shortlisted.

However, to get shortlisted for dentistry is a bit easier than getting shortlisted for medicine. Although the criteria can vary slightly from year to year, dentistry requires at least 3 As and General Paper grade of B3. For medicine, they MAY look at your 4th A Level grade, and the General Paper usually MUST be an A, perferably an A1.

However, if you are shortlisted, the rest depends on your interview and your resume. You have to convince them you have the passion for the practice. They WILL look at what you have done to show that you have the passion. Have you done attachment in hospitals or in dental clinics? If you have been busy in JC, post-A level is a good time to get such job opportunities. That worked very well for me. (=

And a bit of advice. Some people made a mistake of considering dentistry as "backup" if they should get rejected for medicine. They put dentistry as their second choice behind medicine, and during the interview they get grilled. Be prepared should you do the same, or put such interview-required courses (incl. law) as second choices.

Btw, wht was your CCA? I am a bit curious
whirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
car_freak

car_freak has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to car_freak

Speaking from my personal experience.

Quote:
Statistically speaking, dentistry accepts 43 (if i am not wrong) out of 300 shortlisted. While medicine would accept over 200 out of 500 or so shortlisted. So in that sense, medicine have a higher chance to get in, that is IF you are shortlisted.
I agree on this point. The new intake for Med is ard 250 - up from my batch of 220+. Word has it tt the number can go up to 300 - well, let's see.

Quote:
However, to get shortlisted for dentistry is a bit easier than getting shortlisted for medicine. Although the criteria can vary slightly from year to year, dentistry requires at least 3 As and General Paper grade of B3. For medicine, they MAY look at your 4th A Level grade, and the General Paper usually MUST be an A, perferably an A1.
Usually if u put 1)Med 2)Den and if u get shortlisted for Med, you are likely to get shortlisted for Den also - it happened to me and many friends. As for Med, its is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE that GP must be A to get shortlisted and i dun think they look at the 4th A-level sub coz i know of people who only do 3 A-level subs getting in. Perfect grades and perfect scores in S-papers or watever DOES NOT guarantee you a spot in Med. So don't be surprised. When it comes to pursue-ing med, grades are not everything - the top student does not always make the best doctor in the eyes of the community.

Quote:
However, if you are shortlisted, the rest depends on your interview and your resume. You have to convince them you have the passion for the practice. They WILL look at what you have done to show that you have the passion.
This i totally agree. Coz everyone goes in wif the same uni scores made up from the grades - so what sets you apart from the others? - the interviews, resume portfolio and essay tests. Rumored to take up a huge % of the total entry score.

Quote:
Some people made a mistake of considering dentistry as "backup" if they should get rejected for medicine. They put dentistry as their second choice behind medicine, and during the interview they get grilled. Be prepared should you do the same, or put such interview-required courses (incl. law) as second choices.
Dentistry / Law should never be portrayed as a 'backup' -ie. if i cannot go in Med, then no choice la, i go to your fac lo! It is always essential to backup your reason of choice substantially. Well, i won't say you'll get grilled. But just justify your options well. I was asked by Den how much i wanted to get into Den out of 10 - I said 9. Then the Den pple asked me abt Med - I said 10. Was even questioned about my 3rd choice: Law - I said 5/10. haha. The interview panel were laughing. haha.

Feel free to PM me for any things u may wanna ask. All the best!

Last edited by car_freak; 02-11-2008 at 10:25 AM.
car_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl View Post
Dentistry and medicine are among the most selective for admissions. Neither of them is easy to get in.

However, if you are shortlisted, the rest depends on your interview and your resume. You have to convince them you have the passion for the practice. They WILL look at what you have done to show that you have the passion. Have you done attachment in hospitals or in dental clinics? If you have been busy in JC, post-A level is a good time to get such job opportunities. That worked very well for me. (=

And a bit of advice. Some people made a mistake of considering dentistry as "backup" if they should get rejected for medicine. They put dentistry as their second choice behind medicine, and during the interview they get grilled. Be prepared should you do the same, or put such interview-required courses (incl. law) as second choices.

Btw, wht was your CCA? I am a bit curious
I was in lifesaving and swimming. I'm a qualified lifeguard. =D

I was also asked to choose if i preferred medicine or dentistry, because they knew my first choice was medicine and second choice was dentistry. My answer to them " If i could put both medicine and dentistry as my first choice, i'll do it. Because frankly speaking, i like both of them. "
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #19
sandwhale

sandwhale has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to sandwhale

anyone from NUS sch of architecture?
what would be the approximate A lvl grade requirements & is there any other requirements?

thx
sandwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
wuen2001

wuen2001 has a neutral reputation
Default admission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
Is it true that only the top 5% of each JC gets a chance to go into NUS? I wouldn't exactly consider myself top 5% but I do okay academically. Hoping to do banking and finance in NUS but am unsure as to whether I have a shot at it? Do I need to go for any interviews?
Actually it depends on your grade, if you get 4A then you're guarantee a place in NUS. If you get 4A H3 A and GP A1, there's still no guarantee that you can get into medicine. My senior with 3A 1B (B for biology) and gp B3 manage to get into medicine, and he's an international student.

For engineering, the difficulty of getting into the courses in choronological order (easiest to hardest) is:
mechanical (basically it's a place where everyone will go if they screw it up), electrical (BBB is enough), computer, civil, environmental, bio, materials, ISE, Engineering Science and chemical. (i removed the word 'engineering')

having said that, please note that engineering science only started in 2006 (which means the coming batch will be the 3rd batch of students). Everything above bio engineering will require at least 3A (for previous batches, the non H3 system). As for now, we have no idea about how the new system will work.

FYI, PW don't really play a part in admission, CCA as well. After all, it's an academic school.
wuen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote